Jefe - 13 January 2021 01:47 PM
bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 01:31 PM
Jefe - 13 January 2021 12:55 PM
bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 12:49 PM
Jefe - 13 January 2021 12:28 PM
bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 11:59 AM
Skipshot - 13 January 2021 11:30 AM
EN - 13 January 2021 08:39 AM

Lord knows, he has a lot to do to repair the damage Trump did. . .

This is a common theme in politics for the last 20 years.  Republicans take power and mess up, and leave the mess for a Democrat to fix.  Then once it’s fixed, Republicans take power and mess it up again.  Sort of like a younger me and overdoing it with a bottle of booze, then with a ferocious hangover begging never to drink like that again, only to repeat it.  At least I took the blame for my actions.

I’d argue you can go back a lot further than 20 years. Clinton’s centrism was certainly partly about acquiescing to the post-Reagan ideological landscape, trying to find a way for liberalism to stop playing defense, and make the party competitive again; but it was also partly about restoring some fiscal sanity after over a decade of budget-busting, deficit-increasing “supply side economics”.

Yup.  It’s kind of a cycle that your 4-year, 2 term leadership kinda breeds.
Fixing the parts one’s predecessor has broken is a full-time job, and detracts from any long-view projects.

What did Clinton or Obama break?

It’s not what they broke, but what their successors decided to change after they took power.

Undo the previous admin’s progress….  sorta thing…
You have to admit that Donny had a hate-on for Obama’s improvements.

Of course—but I was just replying to your comment.

In the pendulum swing between GOP and Dem, the first order of business is to undo as much as possible from a predecessor of a different party.  And take credit for economic gains that hold-over from the previous administration, too.

This makes progress difficult as the first order of business seems to be tear down what came before.

Biden, I think, has an opportunity to side-step this a bit because Donny didn’t do much governing, and accelerating pandemic/public health measures is a constructive exercise.

Sure, but this doesn’t seem to be what Skipshot was talking about.

Sorry, that’s my meta-mindset going crazy…

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5751
Joined  05-04-2006

13 January 2021 14:07

Jefe - 13 January 2021 02:06 PM
bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 02:04 PM
Jefe - 13 January 2021 01:47 PM
bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 01:31 PM
Jefe - 13 January 2021 12:55 PM
Jefe - 13 January 2021 12:28 PM
bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 11:59 AM
Skipshot - 13 January 2021 11:30 AM
EN - 13 January 2021 08:39 AM

Lord knows, he has a lot to do to repair the damage Trump did. . .

This is a common theme in politics for the last 20 years.  Republicans take power and mess up, and leave the mess for a Democrat to fix.  Then once it’s fixed, Republicans take power and mess it up again.  Sort of like a younger me and overdoing it with a bottle of booze, then with a ferocious hangover begging never to drink like that again, only to repeat it.  At least I took the blame for my actions.

I’d argue you can go back a lot further than 20 years. Clinton’s centrism was certainly partly about acquiescing to the post-Reagan ideological landscape, trying to find a way for liberalism to stop playing defense, and make the party competitive again; but it was also partly about restoring some fiscal sanity after over a decade of budget-busting, deficit-increasing “supply side economics”.

Yup.  It’s kind of a cycle that your 4-year, 2 term leadership kinda breeds.
Fixing the parts one’s predecessor has broken is a full-time job, and detracts from any long-view projects.

It’s not what they broke, but what their successors decided to change after they took power.

Undo the previous admin’s progress….  sorta thing…
You have to admit that Donny had a hate-on for Obama’s improvements.

Of course—but I was just replying to your comment.

In the pendulum swing between GOP and Dem, the first order of business is to undo as much as possible from a predecessor of a different party.  And take credit for economic gains that hold-over from the previous administration, too.

This makes progress difficult as the first order of business seems to be tear down what came before.

Biden, I think, has an opportunity to side-step this a bit because Donny didn’t do much governing, and accelerating pandemic/public health measures is a constructive exercise.

Sure, but this doesn’t seem to be what Skipshot was talking about.

Sorry, that’s my meta-mindset going crazy…

Got it—I do that myself sometimes.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22133
Joined  11-03-2007

13 January 2021 14:42

You guys are taking up a lot of space.

Any way, Trump just got impeached for the second time, with 10 repubs voting against him.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1713
Joined  01-11-2014

13 January 2021 16:40

EN - 13 January 2021 02:42 PM

Any way, Trump just got impeached for the second time, with 10 repubs voting against him.

Interesting timing. Trump must be really, really scared. Reality is setting in.

He just released a recorded speech. It was the best acting I’ve ever seen him do.

He was “acting” presidential, calling for calm, discouraging future violence and condemning what happened a week ago at the Capitol Building.

He refrained from reciting his greatest hits about Voter Fraud, on How the Election was Stolen, and how He Won by a Landslide.

Such restraint.

https://tinyurl.com/yye5qc37

Check out the messages posted under the video — pure delusion.

[ Edited: 13 January 2021 16:49 by Cheshire Cat]

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

13 January 2021 16:49

Wasting all those pixels when millions of former Parler users can’t even post online.

Shameful.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Joined  05-04-2006

13 January 2021 16:51

Cheshire Cat - 13 January 2021 04:40 PM

He just released a recorded speech. It was the best acting I’ve ever seen him do.

He was “acting” presidential, calling for calm, discouraging future violence and condemning what happened a week ago at the Capitol Building.

He refrained from reciting his greatest hits about Voter Fraud, on How the Election was Stolen, and how He Won by a Landslide.

Such restraint.

He really brought his A game. That’s the masterful acting performance of a man who’s had a really uncomfortable talk with his lawyers.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10451
Joined  20-10-2006

13 January 2021 18:59

bigredfutbol - 13 January 2021 04:51 PM
Cheshire Cat - 13 January 2021 04:40 PM

Such restraint.

He really brought his A game. That’s the masterful acting performance of a man who’s had a really uncomfortable talk with his lawyers.

It took him nearly a week to say this, which, for the first time in his presidency, is to ask for calm and unity rather than passion and division.  So, yeah, what is his angle?

As for the comments, suddenly Trumpers want understanding and compassion?  That’s a first.  What happened to “Fuck your feelings” and “Grab ‘em by the pussy?”  Trumpers’ memories are only as long as Trump’s last message, so if he were to reverse his message they would not question the one here.

And, yep, BRF, he speaks like the lawyers got to him, but it is too late.

[ Edited: 14 January 2021 08:10 by Skipshot]

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3674
Joined  26-01-2010

14 January 2021 01:25

Clinton supposedly broke the moral fiber of the nation and the dignity of the Oval Office.

Obama supposedly broke the U.S. health care system, the U.S. economy in general, the reputation and ability of the U.S. to stand up to any power in the world, and (especially significant for my father) General Motors.

[wink]

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5512
Joined  28-05-2009

15 January 2021 11:41

While I have grave concerns about Biden I will absolutely agree on this point. He is showing amazing and very necessary restraint and not biting down on the bait. Whether we agree or disagree on policy I absolutely want elected official who govern on the basis of concept and principal rather than personality and rhetoric… or at least politicians who move the bar in that direction.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22133
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2021 10:27

Papa Joe has already performed the most important act of his presidency: he has replaced Donald Trump.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1034
Joined  20-07-2017

20 January 2021 19:47

Are we going to get a “Biden bin” sub-forum?

deodand

deodand
Total Posts:  134
Joined  06-01-2021

20 January 2021 20:21

Trump set the bar so low all Biden has to do is not be the last guy to be an improvement.  But it remains to be seen if he’ll go Woke and not even beat that.

< 1 2