Mask Efficacy Study: UCLA

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8267
Joined  15-02-2007

19 January 2021 12:25

Source: https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/coronavirus/ucla-study-coronavirus-face-masks-gdp-economy-covid-19-spread-pandemic/2508463/

I ‘presume’ that this includes wearing masks correctly.  Not below the nose.  Not below the chin.  Over mouth and nose with a nose-wire that can adjust to the contour of the wearer’s face.

The researchers came to a variety of conclusions, including:

Face masks were 79% effective in preventing transmission, if they were used by all household members prior to symptoms occurring.

The use of masks was strongly protective, with a risk reduction of 70% for those that always wore a mask when going out.

Transmission was 7.5 times higher in countries that did not have a mask mandate.

The difference between U.S. states with mask mandates and those without found that the daily growth rate was 2 percentage points lower in states with mask mandates, estimating that the mandates had prevented 230,00 to 450,000 COVID-19 cases by last May 22.

Face masks have a large reduction effect on infections and fatalities, with a potential impact on U.S. GDP of $1 trillion if a nationwide mask mandate were implemented.

The marginal benefit per cloth mask worn to be in the range from $3,000 to $6,000.

For a recommended ppe that is super easy to adopt and wear regularly, these are some decent hard figures for those who question mask-wearing during a pandemic.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22633
Joined  11-03-2007

19 January 2021 18:06

Thanks.  Masking, hand washing, social distancing, and vaccination are all proven strategies.  We know what to do - just do it.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10772
Joined  20-10-2006

19 January 2021 23:14

. . .

Image Attachments

C8984768-DB10-4E57-AD7A-1F4139D4FDE7.jpeg

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  19-08-2010

19 January 2021 23:28

I didn’t realise some folks still dispute these measures efficacy.
We have maintained covid secure regulation procedures in our establishment from the start and had zero cases throughout the pandemic. Bit of luck involved too I expect as being out in the community is a bit like russian roulette I think.

But I get my vaccine today, so I will let you know later if I grow an extra limb.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10772
Joined  20-10-2006

20 January 2021 01:18

MARTIN_UK - 19 January 2021 11:28 PM

Have you not noticed the US is the world leader in COVID-19 infections and deaths by a wide margin? 
Trump led the way disputing wearing a mask and ridiculing states with mask mandates. 
Wankie Boys in Michigan went to the Michigan capitol, armed and in the gallery, hollering to have the mask mandate lifted, with Trump tweeting, “Liberate Michigan!”?  About seven of those clowns are now facing murder conspiracy charges for plotting to kidnap and kill the Michigan governor.
500,000 maskless people at the Sturgis, SD motorcycle rally this summer with the governor’s blessing. 
Trump held rallies without masks. 
Knuckleheads traveling to Thanksgiving and Christmas family gatherings.
Conservative media has been disputing masks since the beginning, and even disputing the danger of the virus. 
And finally, the capitol riots where nary a mask was worn by the thousands who attended.

Yeah, we’re lousy with masks.

But I get my vaccine today, so I will let you know later if I grow an extra limb.

Tell everyone its side effect is stronger than Viagara, for all sexes! - that’ll increase the vaccination rates.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

20 January 2021 08:19

We have maintained covid secure regulation procedures in our establishment from the start and had zero cases throughout the pandemic. Bit of luck involved too I expect as being out in the community is a bit like russian roulette I think.

There are large cohorts of ignorant anti-science, anti-maskers who consider a mask mandate to be an attack on their personal freedumbs.
They refuse to wear them, wear them under their nose, or around their necks or not at all.
Some of this cohort show up at stores and malls to yell at minimum wage workers who have no control over civic, state, or federal mask mandates - which is just plain stupid and mean.

Humanity is its own worst enemy much of the time.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

20 January 2021 13:25

An extra limb wouldn’t be bad if it was functional and useful.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1918
Joined  19-06-2020

20 January 2021 17:04

I’m just looking forward to the super power of attending social gatherings.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

20 January 2021 20:39

weird buffalo - 20 January 2021 05:04 PM

I’m just looking forward to the super power of attending social gatherings.

No doubt.  Seeing friends again would be nice.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

21 January 2021 06:54

Skipshot - 20 January 2021 01:18 AM

Have you not noticed the US is the world leader in COVID-19 infections and deaths by a wide margin? 
Trump led the way disputing wearing a mask and ridiculing states with mask mandates. 
Wankie Boys in Michigan went to the Michigan capitol, armed and in the gallery, hollering to have the mask mandate lifted, with Trump tweeting, “Liberate Michigan!”?  About seven of those clowns are now facing murder conspiracy charges for plotting to kidnap and kill the Michigan governor.
500,000 maskless people at the Sturgis, SD motorcycle rally this summer with the governor’s blessing. 
Trump held rallies without masks. 
Knuckleheads traveling to Thanksgiving and Christmas family gatherings.
Conservative media has been disputing masks since the beginning, and even disputing the danger of the virus. 
And finally, the capitol riots where nary a mask was worn by the thousands who attended.

Yeah, we’re lousy with masks.

Tell everyone its side effect is stronger than Viagara, for all sexes! - that’ll increase the vaccination rates.

We do get the odd tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist here, but I think our cultures seem slightly different when it comes to following the advice, I don’t know.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

21 January 2021 07:01

Jefe - 20 January 2021 08:19 AM

There are large cohorts of ignorant anti-science, anti-maskers who consider a mask mandate to be an attack on their personal freedumbs.
They refuse to wear them, wear them under their nose, or around their necks or not at all.
Some of this cohort show up at stores and malls to yell at minimum wage workers who have no control over civic, state, or federal mask mandates - which is just plain stupid and mean.

Humanity is its own worst enemy much of the time.

I do see folks getting confused at times over here, as we get more information the government adjusts the advice and people don’t understand or like it much, I have to spoon feed the data to my Mother at times, it didn’t go down well when I said she shouldn’t really go Xmas shopping… bit of an ugly scene that day I have to say.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Joined  19-08-2010

21 January 2021 07:04

EN - 20 January 2021 01:25 PM

An extra limb wouldn’t be bad if it was functional and useful.

I did ask the nurse if I’d be able to play the piano after the vaccination, she assured me I would.

Which is great news really as I’ve never been able to play it up until now.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

21 January 2021 09:23

MARTIN_UK - 21 January 2021 07:04 AM

I did ask the nurse if I’d be able to play the piano after the vaccination, she assured me I would.

Which is great news really as I’ve never been able to play it up until now.

Excellent. Studies have also shown that the vaccine helps you speak multiple languages and play chess at Grand Master level. I’m looking for the reference right now.