1 2 > 

QAnon - now what?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10791
Joined  20-10-2006

20 January 2021 16:06

I didn’t follow the QAnon conspiracy theory much at all, and ignored it as gullibility.  So far, I’m glad I did ignore it, but there was a news story which got my attention that it is similar to a dooms-day cult which is dependent upon certain events happening to confirm its beliefs.

Followers of QAnon have been left upset and angry in the wake of the apparent collapse of the conspiracy theory.

Followers had hoped for mass arrests of their enemies and the final proof that their faith in the unknown person named Q and Donald Trump had not been misplaced. But the largely uneventful inauguration seemed to be the final blow for the theory – leaving many upset and angry, even as others struggled to find new ways to keep the theory going.

The baseless QAnon theory suggests, without any evidence, that argued that a group of powerful, Satan-worshipping people running a cannibalistic child sexual abuse ring. It argues that Donald Trump is planning to take down the group – and that those plans could not be revealed publicly, but have been disseminated by an anonymous individual named Q.

In a series of posts, originally on website 4chan, Q laid out those theories in cryptic language. As those posts accrued, so did large numbers of followers, many of whom attended Mr Trump’s rallies and received some encouragement from him and his family.

QAnon’s adherents came to believe that the cabal would eventually be exposed and arrested in an event known as the Storm and orchestrated by Mr Trump. But despite repeated predictions of dates for such an event – including an initial indication from the person going by the name Q that it would happen in 2017 – and an insistence that it would eventually arrive, nothing happened.

. . .

The uneventful inauguration left many of those who had believed that some cataclysmic event was coming frustrated and lost. Many suggested that it was the final straw of their trust in the conspiracy theory – even while others found new ways to believe.

Source

Now what do they do?  Redefine their objective, probably.

Also, it seems a QAnon believer was elected to Congress, so she may take the lead.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3808
Joined  26-01-2010

20 January 2021 23:56

Actually, at least two QAnon believers have been elected to Congress: https://www.rollcall.com/2020/11/05/qanon-goes-to-washington-two-supporters-win-seats-in-congress/

I don’t imagine that they will modify their opinions very much. They have nothing to gain by that, and much to lose in terms of their credibility with their supporters.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8297
Joined  15-02-2007

21 January 2021 09:38

Hopefully they slip back under the rocks from which they crawled.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22647
Joined  11-03-2007

21 January 2021 10:32

As a former cult member long ago in a galaxy far, far away, I can tell you that disillusionment is an important step in the deprogramming process.  Some QAnon devotees are beginning to realize that they were duped.  Yes, some are doubling down with even more ridiculous fantasies, but some are beginning to see the light. They may just pack up their tents and go home, trying to forget the whole thing and hiding their embarrassment.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1938
Joined  01-11-2014

21 January 2021 19:22

Sometimes, schadenfreude isn’t always such a bad thing:

In white supremacist Telegram channels—some of which have tens of thousands of followers—the anger soon spilled over into outright hatred toward Trump, as well as a call-to-arms to the outgoing president’s more mainstream followers that they had been misled.

“Let this be a wake-up call for QAnon followers and normies,” one post read just ahead of the inauguration. “No one is coming to save you. No one man can defeat this evil marxist machine.”

Amid accusations and counter-accusations, different parts of Trump’s base began to turn on each other. QAnon supporters lashed out at militia groups, claiming they were part of the deep-state plot to undermine Trump and that the Jan. 6 riots on Capitol Hill were part of an elaborate coup attempt, either by parts of the federal government, Black Lives Matter campaigners or, bizarrely, China. They even turned against certain QAnon celebrities — Lin Wood, Sidney Powell and Michael Flynn — for hyping them up.

“It’s all been a con from the start. Promises made and not kept,” one user posted on TheDonald.win, a website that has been flooded with conspiracy theories and calls for violence in recent weeks, in reference to the QAnon movement. “You sat on your butt waiting for someone else to do what everyone should have taken care of themselves.”

https://tinyurl.com/y29fpyb5

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1960
Joined  19-06-2020

21 January 2021 22:12

In Search of a Flat Earth

70-min long, starts out about FE, but goes into some elements of Q-anon.  I think Q-anon is going to survive for a long time.  It’s going to be a catch-all conspiracy for years to come.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  19-01-2015

21 January 2021 22:27

Idle Hands are the Devil’s workshop - once the lock-down restrictions are mostly done, most people will find that fretting about secret plans is a waste of their time.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

22 January 2021 00:34

It was pretty widespread before 2020.  What will kill Q-Anon is depriving it of oxygen online.  As long as it is allowed to persist in places where it can reach new people, it will remain.

A central concept of Q-Anon is based on magical thinking.  Reality is wrong, and only by denying reality can it be reshaped into the truth.  Biden’s inauguration is irrelevant, because the truth is [insert impossible scenario here].

At the capitol riots, Q-Anon believers were willing to kill those who denied [insert impossible scenario here].  Q-Anon isn’t about discovering the truth, it is a vehicle that grants permission to impose one’s will on others, even if it means violence.  It’s part of why it depicts the enemies of Q as pedophiles who drink the chemically extracted adrenaline of children who were tortured.  Why?  Because it’s morally good to kill someone who would do that.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  19-01-2015

22 January 2021 01:12

maintaining cognitive dissonance is exhausting.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

22 January 2021 09:12

weird buffalo - 22 January 2021 12:34 AM

At the capitol riots, Q-Anon believers were willing to kill those who denied [insert impossible scenario here].  Q-Anon isn’t about discovering the truth, it is a vehicle that grants permission to impose one’s will on others, even if it means violence.  It’s part of why it depicts the enemies of Q as pedophiles who drink the chemically extracted adrenaline of children who were tortured.  Why?  Because it’s morally good to kill someone who would do that.

It’s the same old story.

Invent a crime.
Adopt a moral position regarding that crime.
Persecute/harm those imagined to be guilty-of or support actions leading up to the invented crime.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

22 January 2021 09:41

It kind of seems like several people are trying to downplay or be dismissive of a social movement that produced the first assault on our nation’s capitol in 200 years.  This is a bigger deal than some of the comments here indicate.  I want to avoid being hyperbolic or hysterical, but that requires a little bit of acknowledgement that this isn’t just a passing flight of fancy for bored housewives during a pandemic.

QAnon may have hit it’s high water mark, but it also might not.  Even if QAnon itself fades away, it’s direct spiritual successor is probably only a couple years away.

[ Edited: 22 January 2021 09:43 by weird buffalo]

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

22 January 2021 09:50

weird buffalo - 22 January 2021 09:41 AM

It kind of seems like several people are trying to downplay or be dismissive of a social movement that produced the first assault on our nation’s capitol in 200 years.  This is a bigger deal than some of the comments here indicate.  I want to avoid being hyperbolic or hysterical, but that requires a little bit of acknowledgement that this isn’t just a passing flight of fancy for bored housewives during a pandemic.

QAnon may have hit it’s high water mark, but it also might not.  Even if QAnon itself fades away, it’s direct spiritual successor is probably only a couple years away.

Years?  Maybe merely minutes away…IMHO.

Our (species’) cognitive structures are fractured or flawed enough to allow another conspiracy to take root.
And those who are inclined to adopt conspiracy-esque story-structures may already be habituated to thinking in conspiracy-patterns.  Who knows how easy it will be for Q-crusaders to take up another meme or line-of-thought from which to launch the next domestic act of terror?

(I’ve seen several articles describing the ‘kill-the-enemy’ thoughts of several of those arrested, many of whom self-identify as xtian.  If they weren’t actually serious about causing the deaths of evil commies, they probably shouldn’t have been talking about that all over social media?)

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

22 January 2021 10:25

Jefe - 22 January 2021 09:50 AM

The world’s largest religion is a doomsday cult.  Christianity is rife with prophecies of the return of Jesus, so our culture is primed for conspiracy theories.  On this forum we shake our heads and click our tongues at conspiracists, partly out of disgust, partly out of pity, and we know the next story of a suicide cult is due any day.  Trump managed to incorporate them into his personality cult and gave them legitimacy through the power of the office of the president.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2447
Joined  14-08-2008

22 January 2021 15:10

For those who haven’t seen the PBS documentary “The United States of Conspiracy”, here it is in it’s entirety. I think it’s well worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDXJ9OUco04

Ron

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9952
Joined  20-02-2006

25 January 2021 12:27

Skipshot - 22 January 2021 10:25 AM
Jefe - 22 January 2021 09:50 AM

The world’s largest religion is a doomsday cult.  Christianity is rife with prophecies of the return of Jesus, so our culture is primed for conspiracy theories.  On this forum we shake our heads and click our tongues at conspiracists, partly out of disgust, partly out of pity, and we know the next story of a suicide cult is due any day.  Trump managed to incorporate them into his personality cult and gave them legitimacy through the power of the office of the president.

With the attack on the Capitol, Trump’s personality cult has morphed into his being the ringleader of domestic terrorism in its many manifestations.  Those pipe bombs and the box of Molotov cocktails, the fistful of zip ties (instant plastic handcuffs) are the tip of the terrorist iceberg.  Trump hasn’t gone anywhere and neither have his devotees.

It’s hard to imagine the security apparatus needed to protect Joe Biden, Kamala Harrils, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Dr. Fauci and a host of others.

This morning Dr. Fauci told us about the threats against his family and himself.  https://people.com/health/dr-fauci-received-death-threats-letter-filled-with-power-while-working-for-trump/

Trump hasn’t melted away and neither have such threats.  Sarah Huckabee running for governor?  https://www.aol.com/news/ap-source-sarah-sanders-running-045302126-130336845.html

Listen to Sarah’s father lauding the ringleader of the mob that attacked the Capitol.  Among Republicans, there’s no sense at all that Trump is now the leader of a terrorist cabal, operating brazenly out of his Florida country club . . . supported by what?  40 million red hats?

The former White House press secretary, who left the job in 2019 to return to her home state, launched the bid less than a week after the end of Trump’s time in office and as the ex-president faces an impeachment trial.

But her announcement reflected how much she expected voters in solidly red Arkansas to embrace the former president, if not his rhetoric.

“With the radical left now in control of Washington, your governor is your last line of defense,” Sanders said in a video announcing her bid. “In fact, your governor must be on the front line. So today I announce my candidacy for governor of Arkansas.”

The daughter of former Gov. Mike Huckabee, Sanders had been widely expected to run for the office after leaving the White House — and Trump publicly encouraged her to make a go. She’s been laying the groundwork for a candidacy, speaking to GOP groups around the state.

With his usual reticence, or diplomacy, Dr. Fauci didn’t say that Trump was the instigator behind the threats to himself and his family.  Are Republicans blind to that?

A song for Joe Biden:  “I’ve been waiting for this moment all my life, oh lord”  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDMnyQzS88

[ Edited: 25 January 2021 12:38 by unsmoked]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

25 January 2021 13:39

unsmoked - 25 January 2021 12:27 PM

A song for Joe Biden:  “I’ve been waiting for this moment all my life, oh lord”  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDMnyQzS88

A song clip for QAnon:  https://youtu.be/6jMo7Iz6I0Q

1 2 >