< 1 2

If Reality Required Words

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1920
Joined  19-06-2020

21 March 2021 19:45

Bobby McFerrin plays the audience.

It’s only 3 minutes, but a good watch.  It shows how strong our audio processing abilities are in our brains.  He’s able to start with just two notes, and once he has those kind locked in for the audience, he can get them to move up and down the pentatonic scale as much as he wants.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9944
Joined  20-02-2006

22 March 2021 13:04

Cheshire Cat - 21 March 2021 02:35 PM

I did a little internet search for the oldest know human musical instruments.

Here are a couple of links:

https://www.oldest.org/music/musical-instruments/

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/flute/worlds-oldest-instrument-neanderthal-flute/

There seems to be some dispute about a bone flute made from a bear femur found in the cave of Divje Babe in Slovenia. The top link above, (oldest.org), claims the flute is 50,000 years old and was made by Neanderthals. The other link, (discover-music), dates the flute around 43,100 years old and states that it could have been made by either Cro-Magnons or Neanderthals.

There is also some conjecture that the flute is not a musical instrument at all, but is instead just a bone chewed up by a hyena. This is seems unlikely to me for this reason: “Ljuben Dimkaroski, member of the Ljubljana Opera Orchestra for 35 years (trumpet), was given a clay replica of the flute by the curator of Slovenian National Museum on occasion of Ljuben’s exhibition “Image in Stone”. In his dreams, about a year later, he got a clue of how to play this prehistoric instrument.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHy9FOblt7Y&t=156s

The 2:25 minute mark of this video is pretty mind blowing. Also, at the beginning of this video, the flute is stated at being 60,000 years old.

One of the most interesting things about all the bone flutes found so far is that they are “are inescapably diatonic and will sound like a near-perfect fit within ANY kind of standard diatonic scale, modern or antique.”

I’m not an anthropologist, but it seems to me that around 40,000 years ago, humans made some sort of evolutionary leap, culturally. And not just musically, but artistically.

One of my favorite documentaries is Werner Herzog’s, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, which shows art from the Chauvet cave in France, which may be the earliest cave paintings known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kULwsoCEd3g

I remember taking an art history class years ago, and one of the assignments was to reproduce by hand a work of art of our choosing. Many students picked European cave art from 30,000 years ago or so, probably because they assumed it would simple and easy to copy. The students got a shock at at how difficult it was to reproduce that cave art. Our instructor noted that those first known artists had created art that was not primitive, unsophisticated or hesitant, but was instead, fully realized art.

Speaking of oldest known flutes - a friend and I used to walk along the shore of the Straights of Juan de Fuca near Sequim, WA.  At night we could see the lights of Victoria in Canada.  There were coils of kelp washed up and deposited at high tide.  We’d trim the fronds from the bulb end, and cut the small end so the ‘horn’ was 3 or 4 feet long.  Pressing lips on small end, as on a brass instrument, we could make a variety of pachyderm-like blasts.  It seems Neanderthal children and adults living on salt water would have discovered these moist, green trumpets. 

Speaking of pachyderms, in the high clay cliffs along that same beach you could sometimes see part of a tusk protruding, and pry it out with your knife.  These had been exposed by recent erosion of the cliff.  They hadn’t been fossilized and had the consistency of cheese and soon decayed when exposed.  Ice age mammoths in the Western Hemisphere - probably here when men first arrived across the Bering Sea land bridge.

More later on the rest of your post, and W.B’s. link about ‘playing the audience.

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  90
Joined  16-07-2017

27 March 2021 02:16

unsmoked - 13 February 2021 02:09 PM

If reality required words, animals would be in a terrible fix.

Not true.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

27 March 2021 10:18

Ground - 27 March 2021 02:16 AM

Not true.

word  noun

1.  a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.

question:  When do you think words (common definition) first appeared on planet Earth? 

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  90
Joined  16-07-2017

27 March 2021 15:07

unsmoked - 27 March 2021 10:18 AM

Not true.

word  noun

1.  a single distinct meaningful element of speech or writing, used with others (or sometimes alone) to form a sentence and typically shown with a space on either side when written or printed.

question:  When do you think words (common definition) first appeared on planet Earth? 

When do you think words first appeared to you?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4094
Joined  26-03-2013

27 March 2021 17:53

Language was invented to describe the human perception of reality.  Reality preceded the perception.  We just gave it a name.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

28 March 2021 13:43

Ground - 27 March 2021 03:07 PM
unsmoked - 27 March 2021 10:18 AM

Not true.

word  noun

When do you think words first appeared to you?

You’re not using enough words to make your point.  Most people are saying a few words by age 1.  I was told that before that, I used gestures to register an unfavorable opinion about formula - hurling the empty glass bottle across the room.

https://www.healthline.com/health/baby/toddler-language-milestones

< 1 2