< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›

Jordan Peterson Criticism

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1923
Joined  19-06-2020

05 March 2021 10:14

When US doctors wouldn’t give him the treatment he wanted, he went to Russia for a medically induced coma.

In the US and Canada, the standard approach to benzo addiction is a long, slow tapering off.  It’s a long and difficult process, but produces good results in preventing relapse.  Peterson didn’t want to do that.  He wanted to quit cold-turkey, so he went to Russia where doctors are willing to perform a medically induced coma.  I haven’t listened to much of him speaking the past few months… mostly because I just don’t give a shit what he has to say… but the little bit I’ve heard his speak is NOTICEABLY different.  While I don’t wish brain damage on anyone… it’s clear something bad happened to him due to the choices he’s made.  As long as he’s transphobic and shames other people for their drug use, I have zero sympathy for him.

Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers
Total Posts:  49
Joined  23-10-2020

05 March 2021 16:38

weird buffalo - 04 March 2021 10:36 PM

Is it one where he’s apologized for the fake controversy he’s generated over bill C-16?  Where he declares he will in the future properly gender trans people?  Because his complaints about “compelled speech” are bullshit, and he’s decided that he wants to be rude purely for the sake of being rude… unless you count making money (ie, being rude to trans people in order to increase his income).

He’s an asshole who thinks he gets to decide who is worthwhile and who isn’t.

I wouldn’t normally cite someone’s drug addiction as a mark against them.  Getting addicted to drugs of any kind can happen to anyone, and we should have empathy and compassion for them.  Except of course for someone like Jordan Peterson.  Someone who has advocated for NOT having compassion for people addicted to drugs.  In his own arrogance he’s probably caused himself brain damage by not listening to his doctors when dealing with his own drug addiction.  I’d have empathy for him… if he changed his tune, but he hasn’t.  Instead he’s doubled down and is currently attempting to monetize his political views (something he spends a whole chapter railing against in 12 Rules) in a money grab.

Omer gerd,

Truly, I am not a JP fan.  However your comments seem to suggest one of three things:
You don’t understand JP view on this matter,
You are a trans-snowflake,
You are a guilt ridden SJW.

I will be gracious and assume / hope it is #1.  I suggest you either do further research or just give him the benefit of the doubt on this matter.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8279
Joined  15-02-2007

05 March 2021 16:45

BS.

Not appreciating, or liking JP, or his works =/= misunderstanding him.

He’s vastly over-rated in some circles.

Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers
Joined  23-10-2020

05 March 2021 17:01

Jefe - 05 March 2021 04:45 PM

BS.

So agreed. The most interesting question regarding JP is, “why is he so popular?”.  That is the good question to ask.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

05 March 2021 17:29

Greg Rogers - 05 March 2021 05:01 PM

BS.

So agreed. The most interesting question regarding JP is, “why is he so popular?”.  That is the good question to ask.

A better question is “why are certain demographics drawn to him?”

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

05 March 2021 21:16

Greg Rogers - 05 March 2021 04:38 PM

Is it one where he’s apologized for the fake controversy he’s generated over bill C-16?  Where he declares he will in the future properly gender trans people?  Because his complaints about “compelled speech” are bullshit, and he’s decided that he wants to be rude purely for the sake of being rude… unless you count making money (ie, being rude to trans people in order to increase his income).

I wouldn’t normally cite someone’s drug addiction as a mark against them.  Getting addicted to drugs of any kind can happen to anyone, and we should have empathy and compassion for them.  Except of course for someone like Jordan Peterson.  Someone who has advocated for NOT having compassion for people addicted to drugs.  In his own arrogance he’s probably caused himself brain damage by not listening to his doctors when dealing with his own drug addiction.  I’d have empathy for him… if he changed his tune, but he hasn’t.  Instead he’s doubled down and is currently attempting to monetize his political views (something he spends a whole chapter railing against in 12 Rules) in a money grab.

Omer gerd,

Truly, I am not a JP fan.  However your comments seem to suggest one of three things:

I will be gracious and assume / hope it is #1.  I suggest you either do further research or just give him the benefit of the doubt on this matter.

Based on the two bolded comments, you’re essentially trying to insult me in order to get me to change my mind.  How likely to do you think it is that you’re going to convince me JBP is a good man by insulting me?

Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers
Joined  23-10-2020

07 March 2021 10:37

Jefe - 05 March 2021 05:29 PM
Greg Rogers - 05 March 2021 05:01 PM

BS.

A better question is “why are certain demographics drawn to him?”

Seems to be primarily three.  JP is an accomplished scientists (published papers / citations) and so he has an audience in the area.  I fine some of his work on personality, multi-variate analysis of social phenomena, etc., helpful.  Then there is an audience for his popular “self-help” books.  Seems many people find them useful; I don’t have an interest and haven’t read.  Then there is his Jungian / Bible stuff which, to use a technical term, I find mostly “bat-shit crazy”.  I don’t believe JP is ideological, but his research and self-help books do tend to support a more conservative view.  Hence, taken as a brand, a “conservative, Bible-quoting, scientist” makes him very popular amongst some Christian conservatives.

Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers
Joined  23-10-2020

07 March 2021 10:39

weird buffalo - 05 March 2021 09:16 PM

Omer gerd,

Based on the two bolded comments, you’re essentially trying to insult me in order to get me to change my mind.  How likely to do you think it is that you’re going to convince me JBP is a good man by insulting me?

Not at all, I offered three explanations… I did not propose which one(s) were accurate.  However, if the “snowflake” description is true… I would point to Jonathan Haidt and “victimhood culture).  He’s done some good analysis in this area. 

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3855
Joined  21-10-2016

07 March 2021 11:29

It is you, Mr. Rogers, who needs to do further research. 

Peterson fought tooth and nail to prevent trans people from being granted basic human rights under the law.  He failed.  That’s really all one needs to know about his character.

I second what weird buffalo said about him:  “He’s an asshole who thinks he gets to decide who is worthwhile and who isn’t.”

And he’s a has-been who’s been discussed at this forum ad nauseam.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

07 March 2021 13:54

Greg Rogers - 07 March 2021 10:39 AM

Omer gerd,

Not at all, I offered three explanations… I did not propose which one(s) were accurate.  However, if the “snowflake” description is true… I would point to Jonathan Haidt and “victimhood culture).  He’s done some good analysis in this area.

You’re offering both “explanations” in a derogatory manner.  Again… tell me how trying to characterize me in a derogatory manner is going to convince me?  It’s a tactic that is most likely to get me to double down and NOT convince me.  Seems like a pretty dumb tactic of persuasion.

You also tried insulting my intelligence with a frankly TIRED JBP fandom technique… suggesting I do more “research”.  His fans have been trying to claim this card for years.  Anyone who disagrees with him just aren’t informed enough.  As if it isn’t possible to disagree with JBP if you have all the facts.  And yet facts clearly destroy many of the things he says outside of his area of expertise.

Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers
Joined  23-10-2020

07 March 2021 16:10

Jan_CAN - 07 March 2021 11:29 AM

Peterson fought tooth and nail to prevent trans people from being granted basic human rights under the law.  He failed.  That’s really all one needs to know about his character.

I second what weird buffalo said about him:  “He’s an asshole who thinks he gets to decide who is worthwhile and who isn’t.”

Omer gerd;

“I oppose discrimination and harassment based on gender identity and gender expression.”
JBP - Testimony to the Senate

His issue was compelled speech (i.e. the human right to free speech).  This is very consistent with his world view.  You may disagree that free speech is a human right, or that he was right about the bill, etc. The the accusations made are silly.

Reminds me of an associate who has “Sam Harris delusion syndrome” (i.e. he hates Sam Harris)... either he can’t a) articulate why or b) get’s Sam wrong

Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers
Joined  23-10-2020

07 March 2021 16:14

weird buffalo - 07 March 2021 01:54 PM

Omer gerd,

You’re offering both “explanations” in a derogatory manner.  Again… tell me how trying to characterize me in a derogatory manner is going to convince me?  It’s a tactic that is most likely to get me to double down and NOT convince me.  Seems like a pretty dumb tactic of persuasion.

You also tried insulting my intelligence with a frankly TIRED JBP fandom technique… suggesting I do more “research”.  His fans have been trying to claim this card for years.  Anyone who disagrees with him just aren’t informed enough.  As if it isn’t possible to disagree with JBP if you have all the facts.  And yet facts clearly destroy many of the things he says outside of his area of expertise.

I am not fan; it is just clear you don’t understand his world view… I don’t agree with parts of his world view… but I understand it.

Jordan is liberal (i.e, in the European sense) and that sense of the sanctity of the individual is informs his views on many matters.  Hence, why he would have a strong disposition not to discriminate against any “trans-person”.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3855
Joined  21-10-2016

07 March 2021 17:07

Greg Rogers - 07 March 2021 04:10 PM
Jan_CAN - 07 March 2021 11:29 AM

Omer gerd;

“I oppose discrimination and harassment based on gender identity and gender expression.”
JBP - Testimony to the Senate

His issue was compelled speech (i.e. the human right to free speech).  This is very consistent with his world view.  You may disagree that free speech is a human right, or that he was right about the bill, etc. The the accusations made are silly.

Reminds me of an associate who has “Sam Harris delusion syndrome” (i.e. he hates Sam Harris)... either he can’t a) articulate why or b) get’s Sam wrong

He lied.  What one says can be disregarded if in direct conflict with their actions. 

Compelled speech was never a thing – THAT was what was silly.

His world view sucks – not only in regards to trans people, but his views about women are from the dark ages.

This is a waste of time so I won’t be continuing.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

07 March 2021 17:16

Greg Rogers - 07 March 2021 04:14 PM
weird buffalo - 07 March 2021 01:54 PM

Omer gerd,

I am not fan; it is just clear you don’t understand his world view… I don’t agree with parts of his world view… but I understand it.

Jordan is liberal (i.e, in the European sense) and that sense of the sanctity of the individual is informs his views on many matters.  Hence, why he would have a strong disposition not to discriminate against any “trans-person”.

The fact that you put that in quotes tells me what I need to know.  You are going to use transphobic arguments in order to defend JBP’s transphobia.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 March 2021 08:01

Greg Rogers - 07 March 2021 10:37 AM

Seems to be primarily three.  JP is an accomplished scientists (published papers / citations) and so he has an audience in the area.  I fine some of his work on personality, multi-variate analysis of social phenomena, etc., helpful.

Except where he gets science plain wrong, and doesn’t bother to learn or correct himself on it.

Then there is an audience for his popular “self-help” books.  Seems many people find them useful; I don’t have an interest and haven’t read.

Tired old recycled platitudes.  Which he doesn’t appear to be able to follow for himself.  Why is his book of recycled advice more useful than those of predecessors who basically wrote the same things before?

Then there is his Jungian / Bible stuff which, to use a technical term, I find mostly “bat-shit crazy”.  I don’t believe JP is ideological, but his research and self-help books do tend to support a more conservative view.  Hence, taken as a brand, a “conservative, Bible-quoting, scientist” makes him very popular amongst some Christian conservatives.

This may be the biggest part of it.  That an his appearance (to some) of anti-trans folks. Whether they are assessing his position on the matter correctly or not, the alt-righties seem to like this quite a bit.

Still think he’s over-rated; POMO for those who don’t understand POMO.

< 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›