Jordan Peterson Criticism

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2230
Joined  31-10-2015

16 May 2021 08:12

icehorse - 16 May 2021 07:48 AM

weird,

Can you not see the irony in your last post???

Ever since Trump entered formal politics, policy-related concepts and opinions seem upside-down as often as right-side up. Many opinions and policies in general, even post-Trump, get removed from reason by inflated emotion rather than sound judgement that’s informed by reserved emotion. Icehorse, could it be that Canada’s political environment is more sane and rational than what we’ve got here these days? I ask this out of admitted ignorance about how legal decisions get made there.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8814
Joined  22-02-2014

16 May 2021 08:25

nonverbal - 16 May 2021 08:12 AM

weird,

Ever since Trump entered formal politics, policy-related concepts and opinions seem upside-down as often as right-side up. Many opinions and policies in general, even post-Trump, get removed from reason by inflated emotion rather than sound judgement that’s informed by reserved emotion. Icehorse, could it be that Canada’s political environment is more sane and rational than what we’ve got here these days? I ask this out of admitted ignorance about how legal decisions get made there.

What I see in the “gay-panic” story is evidence of the unpredictability of where courts can go, which is a big part of my point here. Who would have predicted that such a court ruling would have been possible?

If I had predicted this court ruling five years ago, many on this forum would have lambasted me and called me ignorant.

Do you agree with me claimants and lawyers will constantly press on laws to see how far they can take them?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2230
Joined  31-10-2015

16 May 2021 08:36

icehorse - 16 May 2021 08:25 AM

weird,

What I see in the “gay-panic” story is evidence of the unpredictability of where courts can go, which is a big part of my point here. Who would have predicted that such a court ruling would have been possible?

If I had predicted this court ruling five years ago, many on this forum would have lambasted me and called me ignorant.

Do you agree with me claimants and lawyers will constantly press on laws to see how far they can take them?

Yes, if Canada’s legal systems are anything like ours.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1923
Joined  19-06-2020

16 May 2021 09:13

weird,

Yes, the irony is that I pretended to do what you do (present a fictional hypothetical), but then I subverted that expectation by presenting actual evidence from reality.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

16 May 2021 09:16

icehorse - 16 May 2021 08:25 AM

weird,

I predicted it.  I’ve known such rulings are possible, and am familiar with the gay-panic defense (which also gets rebranded as the trans-panic defense sometimes here in the US).  It’s why bill C-16 is necessary to help protect trans people from hate crimes like the one I linked.

You’ve been arguing that the lives of these people aren’t worth protecting, and we should instead value the speech of the people who hate them over their lives.  I understand that this isn’t what you say, but it is the consequence of your logic.  Whether you like it or not.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

28 July 2021 00:26

A cognitive psychologist analyzes “12 Rules for Life”.

There’s 40 videos in the series, some of which are over an hour long.  I’m on part 7, and while many others have taken on JBP’s overall philosophy pretty well, she does a good job of pulling apart bit by bit how poorly his argument is constructed.  She has a Ph. D in psychology, and from what I gather, she specializes in visual processing which comes into play in at least one chapter.  She goes into great detail to talk about change blindness and visual processing, and how Peterson oversimplifies and even gets aspects wrong… and this is in a topic that also falls into his own discipline (broadly speaking).

‹ First  < 13 14 15