What if Portland was as right leaning as it is left leaning

acvm

acvm
Total Posts:  54
Joined  05-02-2021

20 February 2021 12:28

Hello,

Portland’s seems very left leaning. I’m wondering how it would look like if it was opposite.

I’ll provide some examples along with what seems to me are the right wing translations of it.
This is mostly based on the ideas that at the extreme the left wing / right wing ideologies would manifest themselves as:
- Stalin-like communism = Hitler-like Fascism
- Tyrannic, authoritarian oppressor / oppressed narrative = White supremacy + Wipe out the jews

Now, I’m not making any claims (or asking any questions) about whether extreme left is as ‘bad’ as extreme right - this should be a different thread.

Here are a my examples:
- Evergreen State College protests 3 years ago over having a day where whites are not allowed on campus (critical race theory based)
Right-wing version: Students demand that no jews be allowed on campus for one day to make it clear that the campus belongs to the people and jews won’t be allowed to take over.

- The DA of Portland, when asked about the mobs going into white neighborhoods at night and waking up the entire neighborhood and calling them “gentrifiers” and “colonists” and that they are “on stolen land” - said that people have different ways of protest and he doesn’t have an issue with it and won’t prosecute or try to intervene in any way (even though this is legally a crime - disorderly conduct / unauthorized protest)
Right-wing version: The DA of Portland says same things when asked about white supremacists going into jewish neighborhoods at night and chanting “The jews will not replace us”

- Future VP of USA ( Kamala Harris ) tweeting out a bail fund for ANTIFA Portland rioters
Right-wing version: Future VP of USA tweeting out a bail fund for the tiki torch Charlottesville rioters

- Biden saying that “ANTIFA is just an idea” - implying that we shouldn’t concern ourselves with any ANTIFA groups
Right-wing version: Trump saying that “White supremacy is just an idea” - implying that we shouldn’t concern ourselves with any white supremacist groups

Now, I don’t necessarily insist that my claims above are 100% accurately presented - I know there can be lots of debate on them. I’m trying just to get a sense of what is the right-wing version of the events with any clarifications that you think should be added.

What are your translations ?

Alternatively, I would like to hear your left-wing take on the below:
- “The jews will not replace us” protest in Charlottesville
- “No daughter of mine will marry a black man, if you do I will disown you”
- The jews are running the world from behind the scenes
- White race is the superior race and should rule over all other races

Thanks!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22223
Joined  11-03-2007

20 February 2021 17:56

In my humble opinion, the key is finding a sweet spot closer to the center. Extremism in either direction is not workable. Right now, the sweet spot seems to be a bit left of center, since the right is hypnotized by Trumpian conspiracy theories. In a few years, it may go the other way. But keeping that dynamic tension and finding a balance is really the only way to govern a large, diverse democracy like the USA. Portland would be a nasty place if it were far right. Of course, far left is also a nasty place.  Austin is similar to Portland and is in danger of being overrun by homeless vagrants camping out on the downtown streets.  It’s never good for a city to walk down the street and see human feces, step across drunks on sidewalks, and be accosted by aggressive panhandlers. Also not good to have whole areas cordoned off by people “occupying” something for some reason. The center is better.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5542
Joined  28-05-2009

20 February 2021 22:36

I guess I’m struggling to understand the question… if there is one. I will say that I strongly dislike contrived equivalencies. I think the left and the right both rationalize a multitude of crimes by pointing to the other for cover and deflection.

I like people who own their errors. I like people who make an honest effort to understand an event with reference to verifiable facts rather than simply accepting some partisan narrative at face value.

You realize Evergreen and Portland are in different states right?

[ Edited: 20 February 2021 22:52 by Brick Bungalow]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3287
Joined  19-01-2015

20 February 2021 23:41

if you find a “sweet spot in the center”, but a sizeable number of people are on the vocal, radical extreme, the end result isn’t moderation, it is still pretty extreme.

It is not enough to not be radical, you have to actively oppose efforts to move politics towards the extremes.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3769
Joined  26-01-2010

21 February 2021 03:45

acvm - 20 February 2021 12:28 PM

Hello,

Portland’s seems very left leaning. I’m wondering how it would look like if it was opposite.

I’ll provide some examples along with what seems to me are the right wing translations of it.
This is mostly based on the ideas that at the extreme the left wing / right wing ideologies would manifest themselves as:
- Stalin-like communism = Hitler-like Fascism
- Tyrannic, authoritarian oppressor / oppressed narrative = White supremacy + Wipe out the jews

Now, I’m not making any claims (or asking any questions) about whether extreme left is as ‘bad’ as extreme right - this should be a different thread.

Here are a my examples:
- Evergreen State College protests 3 years ago over having a day where whites are not allowed on campus (critical race theory based)
Right-wing version: Students demand that no jews be allowed on campus for one day to make it clear that the campus belongs to the people and jews won’t be allowed to take over.

- The DA of Portland, when asked about the mobs going into white neighborhoods at night and waking up the entire neighborhood and calling them “gentrifiers” and “colonists” and that they are “on stolen land” - said that people have different ways of protest and he doesn’t have an issue with it and won’t prosecute or try to intervene in any way (even though this is legally a crime - disorderly conduct / unauthorized protest)
Right-wing version: The DA of Portland says same things when asked about white supremacists going into jewish neighborhoods at night and chanting “The jews will not replace us”

- Future VP of USA ( Kamala Harris ) tweeting out a bail fund for ANTIFA Portland rioters
Right-wing version: Future VP of USA tweeting out a bail fund for the tiki torch Charlottesville rioters

- Biden saying that “ANTIFA is just an idea” - implying that we shouldn’t concern ourselves with any ANTIFA groups
Right-wing version: Trump saying that “White supremacy is just an idea” - implying that we shouldn’t concern ourselves with any white supremacist groups

Now, I don’t necessarily insist that my claims above are 100% accurately presented - I know there can be lots of debate on them. I’m trying just to get a sense of what is the right-wing version of the events with any clarifications that you think should be added.

What are your translations ?

Alternatively, I would like to hear your left-wing take on the below:
- “The jews will not replace us” protest in Charlottesville
- “No daughter of mine will marry a black man, if you do I will disown you”
- The jews are running the world from behind the scenes
- White race is the superior race and should rule over all other races

Thanks!

You seem to be implying that authoritarian antagonism is symmetrically distributed to both the extreme left and extreme right. It ain’t necessarily so. But, in the spirit of playing along:

- The jews will not replace us: There is no exact stalinist or even extreme liberal equivalent. Involuntary ethnicity is not a mark of repudiation for either position. Voluntary political alignment would be needed to replace it, with the caveat that some basic views of the world are seen as unavoidable consequences of being brought up in certain groups. That said, it would be hard to believe the idea that members of the hereditary elites would want to replace anyone in the underclasses. Hence, the only chants I can think of that satisfy either of the leftish political positions sound hopelessly inane and contrived. E.g., The capitalist running-dog lackeys will not replace us, or The international banking cabal will not replace us.

- “No daughter of mine will marry a black man, if you do I will disown you”: Same general comment as the previous, leftish types are ideologically opposed to racial discrimination, but might be inclined to class-based discrimination. E.g., No daughter of mine will marry a bourgeois, or No daughter of mine will marry a corporate executive.

- The jews are running the world from behind the scenes: Same comments as above. E.g., Capitalist corporate executives are running the world from behind the scenes, or International bankers are running the world from behind the scenes.

- White race is the superior race and should rule over all other races: Same comments as above. E.g., Billionaires have proven themselves to be superior human beings and should rule over all other people.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  976
Joined  19-06-2020

21 February 2021 07:21

Twissel - 20 February 2021 11:41 PM

if you find a “sweet spot in the center”, but a sizeable number of people are on the vocal, radical extreme, the end result isn’t moderation, it is still pretty extreme.

It is not enough to not be radical, you have to actively oppose efforts to move politics towards the extremes.

Unless of course the extreme is the correct course of action, and the center is a “compromise” that just perpetuates the problem.  From our own history, abolitionism was an extreme… and yet the right thing to do.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  976
Joined  19-06-2020

21 February 2021 11:28

Was just thinking about how outraged people were over Colin Kaepernick’s kneeling during the anthem, but after video of someone stabbing a police officer with a flag pole with an American flag on it… it’s all about how we have to move on.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3287
Joined  19-01-2015

21 February 2021 12:16

indeed.

calls for “healing” and “unity” are nothing but attempts to block undoing the harm done by Republicans in the last years and decades.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22223
Joined  11-03-2007

21 February 2021 18:00

weird buffalo - 21 February 2021 11:28 AM

Was just thinking about how outraged people were over Colin Kaepernick’s kneeling during the anthem, but after video of someone stabbing a police officer with a flag pole with an American flag on it… it’s all about how we have to move on.

That’s a revealing contrast. Thanks for observing it.