Issues Registering (404 error when trying to recover username)

Bad Lore

Bad Lore
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-03-2021

03 March 2021 17:22

I finally used a different email address so I could register and post this.

I tried and tried to log on using my preferred email, but I get an error saying either my username or password are wrong. For the username field, I’ve tried both my username and email. When I ask the site to send me an email so I can change either my username or password, I can only change my password. If I click on the link to recover my user name, I get a 404 error.

And, of course, if I’m not registered, I can’t get technical help on this. I suppose it’s a good thing I have access to more than one email address, but I’m wondering if, perhaps, the 404 error should be fixed…either that or associate my preferred email with this account. More than likely, it will tell me that email address is associated with the account I can’t access.

If you can help, thanks.

BL

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6851
Joined  22-02-2005

03 March 2021 20:40

Here’s the deal… samharris dot org has moved to a modern zippy new system that this forum’s format cannot exist in. Something to do with anti-matter. The forum was slated for annihilation but, like the original Star Trek, an appeal from its patrons inspired pity in the bean-counters. A means was found to allow us to continue but, like the third season, we were moved to Friday night’s at 10 o’clock and were expected to die.

Actually, the old system has been relocated to a refurbished septic tank behind the shed. A steady trickle of current is provided along with an air hole but there is no hands-on attention. Request to update the main page or to fix a snafu are unlikely to get any action. I think they occasionally check to see if we’re dead yet.

Not quite shovel-ready, though. To paraphrase the sheriff from Spectre of the Gun, “Post-em any way you can!”

Or, picture a TV ad of freezing and forgotten puppies left out in the yard. I sent a video.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Bad Lore

Bad Lore
Total Posts:  2
Joined  03-03-2021

04 March 2021 19:20

So, if I mind-meld with the forum and repeat, “The 404 error is insubstantial. It is not real.” would that help?

Nhoj Morley - 03 March 2021 08:40 PM

Here’s the deal… samharris dot org has moved to a modern zippy new system that this forum’s format cannot exist in. Something to do with anti-matter. The forum was slated for annihilation but, like the original Star Trek, an appeal from its patrons inspired pity in the bean-counters. A means was found to allow us to continue but, like the third season, we were moved to Friday night’s at 10 o’clock and were expected to die.

Actually, the old system has been relocated to a refurbished septic tank behind the shed. A steady trickle of current is provided along with an air hole but there is no hands-on attention. Request to update the main page or to fix a snafu are unlikely to get any action. I think they occasionally check to see if we’re dead yet.

Not quite shovel-ready, though. To paraphrase the sheriff from Spectre of the Gun, “Post-em any way you can!”

Or, picture a TV ad of freezing and forgotten puppies left out in the yard. I sent a video.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6851
Joined  22-02-2005

05 March 2021 03:08

As long as the Melkons are favorably impressed, forum privileges can be granted.