< 1 2 3 > 

Elite Academic Left-wing Conspiracy

deodand

deodand
Total Posts:  270
Joined  06-01-2021

18 March 2021 15:04

I’m done here.  When you want to have a real conversation, or even a debate, look me up.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  19-06-2020

18 March 2021 15:34

Just to save you waiting… I will never come to “look you up”. If you want to participate in a thread that is your choice.  I’m not sending you invitations.

I didn’t send you an invitation to this one… and frankly, I found your contributions combative and unproductive.

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

18 March 2021 16:46

Mea culpa on combative, but not so on “unproductive.”  My corrections and clarifications are more productive than imputing that people one disagrees with are like white supremacists and anti-Semites, leaving hanging in the air their moral failing through guilt by association.  And this after misrepresenting their views.

For instance,Ben Shapiro would not agree that “Academic leftists caused BLM” in the sense that you imply, and we know this because he himself has said that “The Black Lives Matter movement did indeed begin with protests about police brutality…” (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 11, 2020.).  And so on…

I will never come to “look you up”

God I hope this means you’ll stay out of my threads!

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

18 March 2021 19:40

I’ll go where I please while I’m allowed.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16399
Joined  17-12-2006

19 March 2021 11:21

deodand - 18 March 2021 07:23 AM

I doubt the founders of BLM are intelligent enough to create much of anything on their own, so they adapted what they learned in school; what’s been taught in the humanities and the social sciences for decades now, developed along the way into its contemporary form.  In this respect, again, it’s immaterial what came first, the ideology of identity politics or the events framed in terms of it, because with respect to BLM there is no distinction to be made.  Actual events (very rare and relatively isolated) are framed exclusively in terms of the ideology, and the ideology then seeks events in order to justify itself.

Are you saying that blackie is too dumb to create any real political movement so they have to take what whitey gives them?

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

19 March 2021 13:54

Yeah, burt that is what I am saying.  I clearly had in mind that all black people are dumb, but I saw the need for a dog whistle.  It’s not like any given number of people lack creative intelligence, probably, in fact, the vast majority, and that listening to them speak or reading what they write might indicate this, especially when there is nothing original in it, doubly so when they themselves tell you from whom, and what, they are adopting.

Next time you think to give someone a friendly reminder about their biases, try looking in the mirror and smiling.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16399
Joined  17-12-2006

19 March 2021 19:25

deodand - 19 March 2021 01:54 PM

Yeah, burt that is what I am saying.  I clearly had in mind that all black people are dumb, but I saw the need for a dog whistle.  It’s not like any given number of people lack creative intelligence, probably, in fact, the vast majority, and that listening to them speak or reading what they write might indicate this, especially when there is nothing original in it, doubly so when they themselves tell you from whom, and what, they are adopting.

Next time you think to give someone a friendly reminder about their biases, try looking in the mirror and smiling.

You still show the arrogance of the graduate student. Natural, I guess.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6975
Joined  22-02-2005

20 March 2021 01:21

You play badly, Mr. Dand, and I’m sure you could do better if you tried. So, hop to it.

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

20 March 2021 05:43

Says the guy displaying the smug self-satisfaction of the professor. 

The rebuke was appropriate to the question. 

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

20 March 2021 05:46

Thanks Word Salad.  I appreciate the condescension.  Clearly you are great mind exception.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

20 March 2021 06:16

deodand - 18 March 2021 04:46 PM

Mea culpa on combative, but not so on “unproductive.”  My corrections and clarifications are more productive than imputing that people one disagrees with are like white supremacists and anti-Semites, leaving hanging in the air their moral failing through guilt by association.  And this after misrepresenting their views.

For instance,Ben Shapiro would not agree that “Academic leftists caused BLM” in the sense that you imply, and we know this because he himself has said that “The Black Lives Matter movement did indeed begin with protests about police brutality…” (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, July 11, 2020.).  And so on…

I will never come to “look you up”

God I hope this means you’ll stay out of my threads!

I looked up your Shapiro quote.  It’s not even something he said.  He was quoting someone else.  And there’s no indication in the article that he even agrees that police brutality is an issue, nor does he even frame it in the words of “police brutality”.

If you think disingenuous quotes are productive… well, that just makes you a person with an axe to grind, not an honest interlocutor.

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

20 March 2021 06:26

Read it again.  He had just finished quoting Lemon, then resumed writing in his own voice.  What I quoted is from his description of Black Lives Matter, which goes on for the rest of the paragraph.

Whether Shapiro thinks police brutality is an issue is immaterial to whether he thinks Black Lives Matter began with protests over police brutality.  One goes to the question of what “caused” BLM, the other to whether he agrees with them.  Obviously he can identify their cause without agreeing with it.

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

20 March 2021 06:33

Since I want people to see how dumb you are, here’s the link.

Is this better, Nhoj?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6975
Joined  22-02-2005

20 March 2021 07:00

No, it isn’t, You did manage to nail the problem. That is, how far you are prepared to go to tell others how dumb they are.

Our patrons are here to advance the conversation. I need only be exceptional enough to recognize when that is happening and when it isn’t. It’s a piece of cake mostly.

Defend your opinions. That might be more interesting and lead to more purposeful engagements for everybody.

deodand

deodand
Joined  06-01-2021

20 March 2021 07:50

Our patrons are here to advance the conversation.

O ha ha ha ha ha.

I assume next time I’m dismissed as biased, called arrogant for defending an opinion, subjected to weaponized shame (a favorite) or otherwise denigrated you’ll be ready to step in…?  As a tit-for-tat kind of guy, this seems essential to fair play.

In any case, I’ve advanced conversation just fine with people willing to reciprocate, as infrequently as this has occurred.

[ Edited: 20 March 2021 08:04 by deodand]

< 1 2 3 >