Beating a Drum to Arrive at Silence

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9944
Joined  20-02-2006

20 March 2021 10:33

People want to enter the realm of the quiet, peaceful, non-seeking mind, so they use intellect, knowledge, study to reach that state.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  01-11-2014

20 March 2021 14:04

I was reading this article earlier today, “Physics Is Pointing Inexorably to Mind,” by Bernardo Kastrup.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/physics-is-pointing-inexorably-to-mind

It mentions Max Tegmark’s book, Our Mathematical Universe, which I read a few years ago. I loved the book up until the last section, where Max posits his theory that the universe is purely a mathematical construct. He totally lost me there.

The Kastrup article clarifies what Max was writing about in that last chapter which I found so unfathomable:

In his 2014 book, Our Mathematical Universe, physicist Max Tegmark boldly claims that “protons, atoms, molecules, cells and stars” are all redundant “baggage.” Only the mathematical apparatus used to describe the behavior of matter is supposedly real, not matter itself. For Tegmark, the universe is a “set of abstract entities with relations between them,” which “can be described in a baggage-independent way”—i.e., without matter. He attributes existence solely to descriptions, while incongruously denying the very thing that is described in the first place. Matter is done away with and only information itself is taken to be ultimately real.

Kastrup goes on to say that Max’s idea fits into the abstract notion called information realism, which is that basically mathematical constructs are more real than the perceived world.

“To some physicists, this indicates that what we call “matter,” with its solidity and concreteness—is an illusion; that only the mathematical apparatus they devise in their theories is truly real, not the perceived world the apparatus was created to describe in the first place.”

When I got to end of this brain-twisting article, I thought of you, Unsmoked. I wondered what your reaction to the article would be.

I figure your reaction might be something similar to my reaction to it: Fascinating ideas, which are totally abstract and detached from my living experience of the world and myself. Fun to consider, but ultimately, are of less importance than this sip of coffee I am drinking at this moment.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

21 March 2021 11:15

Appreciate your responding to this topic.  I wonder what you think of my post today on the topic ‘If Reality Required Words’. 

Title of post - Music Before Words

Notice faces in the audience in the first panpipes link.  As she played, I thought of the people killed at the spas in Atlanta.  How long have we grieved for others?  Probably long before we were human.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_grief#:~:text=Marc Bekoff, a scientist, has,sea lions, and many more.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

21 March 2021 13:31

Cheshire Cat - 20 March 2021 02:04 PM

I was reading this article earlier today, “Physics Is Pointing Inexorably to Mind,” by Bernardo Kastrup.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/physics-is-pointing-inexorably-to-mind

It mentions Max Tegmark’s book, Our Mathematical Universe, which I read a few years ago. I loved the book up until the last section, where Max posits his theory that the universe is purely a mathematical construct. He totally lost me there.

The Kastrup article clarifies what Max was writing about in that last chapter which I found so unfathomable:

In his 2014 book, Our Mathematical Universe, physicist Max Tegmark boldly claims that “protons, atoms, molecules, cells and stars” are all redundant “baggage.” Only the mathematical apparatus used to describe the behavior of matter is supposedly real, not matter itself. For Tegmark, the universe is a “set of abstract entities with relations between them,” which “can be described in a baggage-independent way”—i.e., without matter. He attributes existence solely to descriptions, while incongruously denying the very thing that is described in the first place. Matter is done away with and only information itself is taken to be ultimately real.

Kastrup goes on to say that Max’s idea fits into the abstract notion called information realism, which is that basically mathematical constructs are more real than the perceived world.

“To some physicists, this indicates that what we call “matter,” with its solidity and concreteness—is an illusion; that only the mathematical apparatus they devise in their theories is truly real, not the perceived world the apparatus was created to describe in the first place.”

When I got to end of this brain-twisting article, I thought of you, Unsmoked. I wondered what your reaction to the article would be.

I figure your reaction might be something similar to my reaction to it: Fascinating ideas, which are totally abstract and detached from my living experience of the world and myself. Fun to consider, but ultimately, are of less importance than this sip of coffee I am drinking at this moment.

“When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.”

-  Walt Whitman

[ Edited: 21 March 2021 13:34 by unsmoked]