1 2 3 >  Last ›

Capitol attack - suspect a “man” named Noah Green.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  657
Joined  14-09-2017

02 April 2021 19:20

Pictures of suspect difficult to find despite availability.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6851
Joined  22-02-2005

03 April 2021 06:56

Perhaps we need an additional sub-forum for Alternate Reality News.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

03 April 2021 08:08

Nhoj Morley - 03 April 2021 06:56 AM

Perhaps we need an additional sub-forum for Alternate Reality News.

Yes that’s a great idea, but may I suggest the title “Clown World News”?  We could start with some other headlines like the anti-asian wave of hate crimes and cite a mass-shooting that from all indications has nothing to do with anti-asian hate.  Or we can talk about the dramatic increase of these crimes in New York and Oakland, a result of Trump’s rhetoric in these maga hotbeds.  We could discuss the issue of white supremacy while showing videos of non-whites assaulting/murdering Asians.  We could discuss another mass shooting where the victims were white and the shooter was non-white as a result of the mental health crisis in the US. 

Seriously though Nhoj, do you not see a striking bias in the media?  Throw out CNN and Fox news, I’m talking the major evening news.  Am I seeing through maga-tinted glasses?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7812
Joined  15-02-2007

03 April 2021 08:32

Your glasses are definitely tinted.  Whether that tint is mainly maga, or a blend of other stuff is unclear.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10569
Joined  20-10-2006

03 April 2021 16:52

Wow, DG, that went off topic fast.  Defensive much?

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

03 April 2021 18:14

I’m not seeing how it went off topic, or how I’m being defensive.  Anyway, let’s talk about the capitol riot.  Here’s what my tinted glasses tell me about that incident:
-Large crowd of people, many who believe the election was rigged.  Smaller group of Qanon conspiracy nuts.  Trump obviously bears some responsibility for the despicable action.  One officer dies as a result of bear spray reaction a day later.  One unarmed civilian killed.  The overall event was centered on those who believe there was some election meddling - not white supremacy. 
Here’s what my tinted glasses tell me about the recent Capitol assault:
-Man slams car into officers.  Attacks others with knife and is shot dead.  One officer dies.  On armed civilian killed.  The perp (a black man) was obviously influenced by the teachings of a racist hate group (Nation of Islam).  So this attackers motivation clearly has ties to a radical supremacist group. 

Pictures of chewbacca man and all the other perps were unavoidable.  It was described as an example of white supremacy.  But with the latest attack (that caused as many deaths, and the attack was intended to kill and the man was armed) gathers some comments about the grief of losing the officer, with pictures of said officer.  Not a lot of talk about the perp, or pictures, or references to the racist ideology behind his attack. 

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  19-06-2020

03 April 2021 19:39

I have no fucking clue how you got to anywhere you got to.  You seem to have went off the rails before you got to the thread.

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

03 April 2021 20:26

weird buffalo - 03 April 2021 07:39 PM

I have no fucking clue how you got to anywhere you got to.  You seem to have went off the rails before you got to the thread.

Most likely because you spend too much time on this forum.  Read it again, take a nuprin if you have to.  A racist attacked the capitol and caused as much death as the insurrection.  Media isn’t so interested.  This isn’t complicated- it makes sense.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1181
Joined  19-06-2020

03 April 2021 20:32

No, what you’re saying doesn’t make sense.

This wasn’t nearly the scale of the insurrection on the 6th.  Are you unaware of the difference between hundreds of people and a single person?  Did this attack literally disrupt the legitimate transition of power in our democracy?

Oh wait… he’s black.  So you’re more angry than when some white people did it.  I got it.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6851
Joined  22-02-2005

03 April 2021 21:29

DEGENERATEON - 03 April 2021 08:08 AM

Yes that’s a great idea, but may I suggest the title “Clown World News”?

Sure. There is a vast Clown Market to satisfy. Badda-bing!

Seriously though Nhoj, do you not see a striking bias in the media?  Throw out CNN and Fox news, I’m talking the major evening news.  Am I seeing through maga-tinted glasses?

If a news outlet decided to be cautious and responsible, and wait until they had reliable and coherent info to share instead of racing to be the first with Breaking Gossip, the result to the viewer would be indistinguishable from an outlet that was hiding inconvenient facts until their corporate master fed them new instructions. The MAGA-tinting or radical lefty tinting both indicate a consumer who is short-sighted and maga-netically drawn to conclusions based on how things can most easily appear. It is a choice made by the consumer.

The most frightening thing about the Clown Market is the notion that any of these situations you have cited can be summarized into the simple pictures you describe here, and that these descriptions could satisfy anybody. Allowing these summaries to provide a state of comfort for your brain is a vulnerability. Some folks, even Presidents and news outlets, will exploit it for personal gain.

We all need to ask ourselves, is our sense of personal self-worth dependent on perceiving a world where we are surrounded by clowns? It takes only the slightest intellectual heft to conclude, rationally, that you are better than clowns. Other patrons of the Clown Market will appreciate you for never challenging their god-granted right to need only be better than clowns.

Remember, actual clowns are portrayals of people completely stripped of nuance.

Over time, the need to see clowns can become so powerful that the victim will begin to reflexively strip the nuance from everything in sight. Then, when clowns abound, a state of blissful better-ness can be righteously had.

This vicious cycle can be broken with an application of scrutiny over not only the news but also over the way you are taking it in. It takes a hard-working attention to give other folks (or news outlets) a chance not to be seen as clowns. Patience, and a gradual intake of nuance will reveal how many folks and news outlets can and always could stand up to your scrutiny and, where and who the clown-herders are. Consumers can change the news without changing the channel.

Give the investigators and the victim’s families and the lad’s family some space and time. Leave it to the professionals to determine when there is something coherent and courteously-timed to share. What need is satisfied by haste? Why pretend that it isn’t a need that could also be satisfied by your own scrutiny? 

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16302
Joined  17-12-2006

04 April 2021 09:55

Nhoj Morley - 03 April 2021 09:29 PM

If a news outlet decided to be cautious and responsible, and wait until they had reliable and coherent info to share instead of racing to be the first with Breaking Gossip, the result to the viewer would be indistinguishable from an outlet that was hiding inconvenient facts until their corporate master fed them new instructions. The MAGA-tinting or radical lefty tinting both indicate a consumer who is short-sighted and maga-netically drawn to conclusions based on how things can most easily appear. It is a choice made by the consumer.

The most frightening thing about the Clown Market is the notion that any of these situations you have cited can be summarized into the simple pictures you describe here, and that these descriptions could satisfy anybody. Allowing these summaries to provide a state of comfort for your brain is a vulnerability. Some folks, even Presidents and news outlets, will exploit it for personal gain.

We all need to ask ourselves, is our sense of personal self-worth dependent on perceiving a world where we are surrounded by clowns? It takes only the slightest intellectual heft to conclude, rationally, that you are better than clowns. Other patrons of the Clown Market will appreciate you for never challenging their god-granted right to need only be better than clowns.

Over time, the need to see clowns can become so powerful that the victim will begin to reflexively strip the nuance from everything in sight. Then, when clowns abound, a state of blissful better-ness can be righteously had.

This vicious cycle can be broken with an application of scrutiny over not only the news but also over the way you are taking it in. It takes a hard-working attention to give other folks (or news outlets) a chance not to be seen as clowns. Patience, and a gradual intake of nuance will reveal how many folks and news outlets can and always could stand up to your scrutiny and, where and who the clown-herders are. Consumers can change the news without changing the channel.

Give the investigators and the victim’s families and the lad’s family some space and time. Leave it to the professionals to determine when there is something coherent and courteously-timed to share. What need is satisfied by haste? Why pretend that it isn’t a need that could also be satisfied by your own scrutiny?

Not to mention the jokers on the other side who, seeing people as clowns, rush to feed and manipulate clownishness and justify this to themselves by saying that it’s all just a joke, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StG4fFWHqg

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7272
Joined  08-12-2006

04 April 2021 12:28

That would be the reasonable thing to do. But the salient point is that if the perpetrator had been a white guy wearing a MAGA hat, the Democratic Media would have been short-stroking it all over the place—just like the Republican Media is doing with this guy. Who, in all likelihood, is just plain batshit crazy, and not representative of Louis Farrakhan’s Nation of Islam followers or black people in general.

An even more salient point is that at this point in time, it’s silly to complain about the media being partisan anymore. Of course the media is partisan! Pointing that out has become almost as banal as observing that Derek Chauvin’s defense is “heavily biased.”

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3853
Joined  26-03-2013

04 April 2021 13:22

I don’t think anyone here works in the news game so I often wonder why grievances like these aren’t simply directed to the source.

Not everyone hears a news item and immediately demands to know the skin colour of all those involved.  It isn’t necessarily a standard human response.  The first question for many of us is…what happened?  It only has significance if it has significance and motive takes time to determine.  Not everything is a hate crime.

The Derek Chauvin murder thread should be an example of the perfect opportunity to have an amicable discussion.  We all have the ability to observe and comment on the trial as it unfolds.  It’s an easy one.  Unless of course yer rooting for that piece of shit cop.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7272
Joined  08-12-2006

04 April 2021 15:29

LadyJane - 04 April 2021 01:22 PM

Not everyone hears a news item and immediately demands to know the skin colour of all those involved.  It isn’t necessarily a standard human response.

It’s becoming a standard response, thanks to identity politics in general and Critical Race Theory in particular. By design.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3853
Joined  26-03-2013

04 April 2021 17:24

Antisocialdarwinist - 04 April 2021 03:29 PM
LadyJane - 04 April 2021 01:22 PM

Not everyone hears a news item and immediately demands to know the skin colour of all those involved.  It isn’t necessarily a standard human response.

It’s becoming a standard response, thanks to identity politics in general and Critical Race Theory in particular. By design.

It seems to me the same people harping on identity politics and critical race theory are taking for granted it’s capturing everyone’s attention the very same way that it captures their own.

This thread implies those of us watching the news aren’t capable of deciphering the difference between commentary and facts.  As though we aren’t able to watch the news with a skeptical mind that recognizes biased editorializing.  Like we can’t turn the channel, stuck like Wee Alex in Clockwork, helplessly absorbing avalanche after avalanche of political propaganda.  And cannot spot credible reporting from fake news or take it upon ourselves to scrutinize what we learn by seeking several sources.

But that really isn’t the bee in this red herring Maga bonnet.  The outrage isn’t about news media.  It’s about that partisan anger that rears its ugly head when the news isn’t quite as racist as they’d like it to be. 

If you recognize the ploys that you deem “by design” then what makes you think the rest of us don’t?

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Joined  14-09-2017

04 April 2021 17:33

Thanks for the response - it’s FUN to point at the clowns, but in all seriousness I try to give the benefit of the doubt.  Problem is even with the charitable interpretation I still see the bias.  What if the same attention was given by the media to when the professionals determined the whole story?  Case in point Michael Brown (or several others).  The anti-asian hate story accompanied almost all of the Atlanta shooter coverage, with literally no evidence they are connected.  Yet you have the capitol attack with evidence of a racist motive and it’s not appropriate to mention that?  In a non-tabloid world it wouldn’t be appropriate, but the rules have been set. 
Everyone knows the bias of fox news and cnn, but abc, nbc, and cbs are (in my opinion) closer to cnn than they should be.  Does your scrutiny find a balance in the force of these outlets?

1 2 3 >  Last ›