#136 - Digital Humanism, worth a (another?) discussion

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8407
Joined  22-02-2014

03 April 2021 12:28

SO MANY important topics and perspectives and ideas in this podcast!

1 - “Information should be free” is a horrible idea that’s helping to ruin our society.
2 - Virtually ALL social media feeds into “the pervasiveness of manipulation” that is another huge contributor to our ruination.
3 - We are in desperate need of the return of unions.
4 - We need to start paying for google and facebook and .., and we need to remove advertising from such sites.
5 - We need to protect individual IP

and so on

digital humanism

[ Edited: 03 April 2021 17:05 by icehorse]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3704
Joined  21-10-2016

03 April 2021 13:51

icehorse - 03 April 2021 12:28 PM

1 - “Information should be free” is a horrible idea that’s helping to ruin our society.
2 - Virtually ALL social media feeds into “the pervasiveness of manipulation” that is another huge contributor to our ruination.
4 - We need to start paying for google and facebook and .., and we need to remove advertising from such sites.

and so on

Lanier - digital humanism

6 – We need NOT pay for podcasts such as these.

Should anyone be expected to pay individuals to express their opinions, before hearing a specific podcast?  Asking for a donation in the amount the listener chooses and after-the-fact, to show appreciation, is another matter.  And paying subscriptions to news outlets with various contributors is another.  But individuals asking for membership payments seems rather arrogant to me ... just sayin’, I won’t be payin’.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

03 April 2021 14:05

Jan_CAN - 03 April 2021 01:51 PM
icehorse - 03 April 2021 12:28 PM

and so on

Lanier - digital humanism

6 – We need NOT pay for podcasts such as these.

Should anyone be expected to pay individuals to express their opinions, before hearing a specific podcast?  Asking for a donation in the amount the listener chooses and after-the-fact, to show appreciation, is another matter.  And paying subscriptions to news outlets with various contributors is another.  But individuals asking for membership payments seems rather arrogant to me ... just sayin’, I won’t be payin’.

I was able to listen to the first 29 minutes for free - that was my intention for other patrons.

Normally, when you encounter a paywall in such cases, you would just mention that to the OP poster and not get your knickers in a twist.  just sayin’

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 April 2021 14:17

icehorse - 03 April 2021 02:05 PM

I was able to listen to the first 29 minutes for free - that was my intention for other patrons.

Normally, when you encounter a paywall in such cases, you would just mention that to the OP poster and not get your knickers in a twist.  just sayin’

From the link you provided, I was unable to access any of it without subscribing.

My post was mentioning it, and my view on what should be expected in regards to payment for information, which your text in the OP indicated was an aspect of the podcast.

I think it’s obvious who’s got a problem with their knickers.  I really don’t understand your defensiveness here (it’s SH’s displeasure I was risking, not yours).

[ Edited: 03 April 2021 14:24 by Jan_CAN]

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

03 April 2021 17:08

Jan_CAN - 03 April 2021 02:17 PM
icehorse - 03 April 2021 02:05 PM

From the link you provided, I was unable to access any of it without subscribing.

My post was mentioning it, and my view on what should be expected in regards to payment for information, which your text in the OP indicated was an aspect of the podcast.

I think it’s obvious who’s got a problem with their knickers.  I really don’t understand your defensiveness here (it’s SH’s displeasure I was risking, not yours).

I think (hope), I fixed the link in the OP to give everyone a free 29 minutes..

lmk, thanks

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6851
Joined  22-02-2005

03 April 2021 18:02

Patrons should know that podcast access can be cost free by establishing an account and then asking for access without fees.

Long time forum members may be able to recover their old Harris accounts on the new site. Either way, a request with any excuse at all will grant free access to the podcasts.

Some episodes bypass the pay-wall and most will play in part. As The Boss would explain, relying on listener support avoids turning to sponsors and worrying about keeping them happy.

The Official Making Sense Twisted Knickers are only available at full retail price. I can personally attest that they are worth every penny. 

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6851
Joined  22-02-2005

03 April 2021 18:04

icehorse - 03 April 2021 05:08 PM

lmk, thanks

Yes, you did.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 April 2021 18:08

icehorse - 03 April 2021 05:08 PM

lmk, thanks

And I confirm access as well.  Thanks.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

03 April 2021 18:11

Nhoj Morley - 03 April 2021 06:02 PM

Patrons should know that podcast access can be cost free by establishing an account and then asking for access without fees.

Long time forum members may be able to recover their old Harris accounts on the new site. Either way, a request with any excuse at all will grant free access to the podcasts.

Some episodes bypass the pay-wall and most will play in part. As The Boss would explain, relying on listener support avoids turning to sponsors and worrying about keeping them happy.

The Official Making Sense Twisted Knickers are only available at full retail price. I can personally attest that they are worth every penny.

Thanks for this information, Nhoj.