South Carolina bill to imprison school staff

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10767
Joined  20-10-2006

21 April 2021 12:28

Taken straight out of the Orwellian playbook, state sponsored bigotry is extended to school staff with a penalty of up to 20 years in prison for a violation of failing to out students who express what the state considers sexual deviancy.  I doubt this bill will go anywhere, but it sends a clear message that the state has a narrow level of what it considers a person. 

(C)  A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be imprisoned not more than twenty years.

Section 44-139-30.      A nurse, counselor, teacher, principal, or other administrative official at a public or private school attended by a minor is prohibited from doing either of the following:

(1)  encouraging or coercing a minor to withhold from the minor’s parent or legal guardian the fact that the minor’s perception of the minor’s gender or sex is inconsistent with the minor’s sex; and

(2)  withholding from a minor’s parent or legal guardian information related to a minor’s perception that the minor’s gender or sex is inconsistent with the minor’s sex.

Source

And conservatives shake their heads when major cities have so many social rejects.  90% of the rejects are probably from conservative places which put a bounty on their heads for failing to conform to local standards.  So much for the professed conservative ideal of personal freedom, and clearly Freedom® means one is free to do what conservatives say they can do.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8263
Joined  15-02-2007

21 April 2021 14:44

Transgenderism.  The latest bogeyman of the conservative/fundamentalist. 
The world will end if they are permitted dignity and self-affirmation.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  549
Joined  28-04-2017

17 July 2021 18:07

Jefe - 21 April 2021 02:44 PM

Would you be comfortable with a man sharing a dressing room with your wife and daughter in say the gym?

It’s just self-affirmation

As for the issue brought up, the school’s job is to educate kids.  Do I think what OP brought up should be illegal?  No. But honestly this transgender stuff is so rare, it’s one big distraction and at least from what I’ve seen, many people having these gender identity issues have severe problems such as sexual abuse or severe neglect and other issues going on that are going unaddressed.  So in that sense it could be good for parents to know their kid is having the gender identity issues, but more than likely, the parents are raising their kids in a messed up way if their kid is even having those thoughts.  It shouldn’t be a law though.

[ Edited: 17 July 2021 18:13 by Quadrewple]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

18 July 2021 22:51

Quadrewple - 17 July 2021 06:07 PM
Jefe - 21 April 2021 02:44 PM

Would you be comfortable with a man sharing a dressing room with your wife and daughter in say the gym?

Until the conservatives made it an issue, your wife and daughter very likely unknowingly already have.

As for the issue brought up, the school’s job is to educate kids.  Do I think what OP brought up should be illegal?  No. But honestly this transgender stuff is so rare, it’s one big distraction and at least from what I’ve seen. . .

You were doing great until. . .

. .  . many people having these gender identity issues have severe problems such as sexual abuse or severe neglect and other issues going on that are going unaddressed.  So in that sense it could be good for parents to know their kid is having the gender identity issues, but more than likely, the parents are raising their kids in a messed up way if their kid is even having those thoughts.  It shouldn’t be a law though.

This is pure speculation, and cruel speculation to perpetuate a social stigma to boot.  You have zero understanding of what is happening in anyone’s life to get there where they are, so it would do to not generalize.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  549
Joined  28-04-2017

21 July 2021 13:06

Skipshot - 18 July 2021 10:51 PM

This is pure speculation, and cruel speculation to perpetuate a social stigma to boot.  You have zero understanding of what is happening in anyone’s life to get there where they are, so it would do to not generalize.

I don’t get what you mean by “perpetuate a social stigma” - that may be my belief currently based on the few people I’ve known who were trans, but it’s not like I’m going around antagonizing people.  It’s okay that you don’t think my opinion is valid, but it is my opinion nonetheless so I don’t see what the big deal is.  I’m not some big vocal outcrier about trans stuff.  Yeah, it’s retarded that people are allowing them to ruin female sports.  Yeah, it’s delusional to allow someone who identifies as female to enter female dressing rooms.  But I’m just one guy with one opinion.  I don’t have some massive following or a massive platform.  So again, what’s the big deal?

And I think you’re exaggerating in your last sentence….and you don’t know what position I’m coming from.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1915
Joined  19-06-2020

21 July 2021 15:01

Except they aren’t ruining female sports. 
Basketball is a sport where height and muscle density are massive advantages, both things conferred by testosterone.  In the history of the WNBA, there is one openly transgender woman, who managed to make the Allstar team once in 2017.  If transwomen were “ruining” women’s sports, we would expect to see many other players who had even more successful careers.  But we don’t.

When a hypothesis fails to make accurate predictions, we should discard it.

edit - also, to point out the egregiousness of this law, the penalty for failing to report child abuse or self harm is 6 months in prison.

[ Edited: 21 July 2021 15:12 by weird buffalo]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

21 July 2021 20:09

Quadrewple - 21 July 2021 01:06 PM
Skipshot - 18 July 2021 10:51 PM

I don’t get what you mean by “perpetuate a social stigma” - that may be my belief currently based on the few people I’ve known who were trans, but it’s not like I’m going around antagonizing people.  It’s okay that you don’t think my opinion is valid, but it is my opinion nonetheless so I don’t see what the big deal is.  I’m not some big vocal outcrier about trans stuff.  Yeah, it’s retarded that people are allowing them to ruin female sports.  Yeah, it’s delusional to allow someone who identifies as female to enter female dressing rooms.  But I’m just one guy with one opinion.  I don’t have some massive following or a massive platform.  So again, what’s the big deal?

And I think you’re exaggerating in your last sentence….and you don’t know what position I’m coming from.

Your opinion is based on ignorance and bigotry, so, yes, it is a big deal.  And admitting ignorance and bigotry then challenging me is a big deal to me.  Since you don’t care, then STFU and fuck off.  Seriously.  Stop spreading stupidity and lies.