Special Episode: Engineering the Apocalypse by Rob Reid and Sam Harris

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6952
Joined  22-02-2005

23 April 2021 19:38

In this nearly 4-hour SPECIAL EPISODE, Rob Reid delivers a 100-minute monologue (broken up into 4 segments, and interleaved with discussions with Sam) about the looming danger of a man-made pandemic, caused by an artificially-modified pathogen. The risk of this occurring is far higher and nearer-term than almost anyone realizes.

Special Episode: Engineering the Apocalypse by Rob Reid and Sam Harris

This thread is for listeners’ comments

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  3311
Joined  19-01-2015

24 April 2021 02:50

I can’t believe that someone who supposedly is so plugged in into Silicon Valley is willing to repeat all the same mistakes that were made in cyberspace.
Giving the DOD the job of preparing against future epidemics would end up exactly the same way that giving them Cybercommad: instead of making the country safer, they hoarded zero-day exploits to use for offense - and when they got stolen, the entire globe became a free-for-all for infosec criminals, spies, saboteurs and terrorists.

The only right thing to do is maximum transparency and promoting the education and work of White Hat Biohackers: instead of trying to hide bioweapon research, we need people challenging each other to come up with ideas to fight any possible future pandemic, natural or artificial, without fear of lawsuits or prosecution.

Also, from my background in the life sciences, I can tell you that an engineered pathogen is unlikely to be as dangerous as a natural one, unless you have the resources to use a big population to breed it in before releasing it: something that only states like China or North Korea potentially do.

an important topic, but I think both Reid and Harris are missing the real take-home message here big time.

BeerTooth

BeerTooth
Total Posts:  1
Joined  27-04-2021

27 April 2021 08:18

so much for the BCG vaccine hypothesis.  India has 92% coverage rate with BCG and they’re getting decimated by COVID-19