The Handmaid’s Tale (Continued)

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3855
Joined  21-10-2016

28 April 2021 07:38

The much awaited for Season 4 of The Handmaid’s Tale premieres today (April 28), in Canada on CTV Drama station at 9:00 pm (ET), and in the U.S. streaming on Hulu.

I’ve read Margaret Atwood’s book, and the sequel The Testaments, but this series veers away from the original which inspired it.  So there’s no telling what’s going to happen next.  It looks like an exciting new season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg_160Be71g

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8279
Joined  15-02-2007

28 April 2021 12:21

I read the book a long time ago, and have seen the movie with Robert Duval.
I like Atwood a lot.  I haven’t watched this series, but hear good things about it.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

28 April 2021 13:55

Jefe - 28 April 2021 12:21 PM

I like Atwood a lot.  I haven’t watched this series, but hear good things about it.

I think you’d like it; I sure do – great drama, exciting story lines, interesting characters, talented actors ...  The writing is very good, but not as clever as Margaret Atwood’s writing, in my opinion.  Apparently Atwood is a consultant on the series, but has said she has no real power on it.  As with many TV series, the goal to create drama can sometimes lead to inconsistencies or weaknesses in the story line if one analyzes it too closely rather than just go with the flow and enjoy it.  For instance, in the world that Atwood created (fairly well depicted in the series), the main character (June) was not as rebellious and wouldn’t have survived as long as she has if she were.

If you do end up watching this series, watch for Margaret Atwood’s cameo role in the first episode of the first season – she plays an Aunt who slaps June.  (Atwood said the scene was difficult for her.)

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/margaret-atwood-the-testaments-handmaids-tale

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8279
Joined  15-02-2007

28 April 2021 14:05

Jan_CAN - 28 April 2021 01:55 PM
Jefe - 28 April 2021 12:21 PM

I think you’d like it; I sure do – great drama, exciting story lines, interesting characters, talented actors ...  The writing is very good, but not as clever as Margaret Atwood’s writing, in my opinion.  Apparently Atwood is a consultant on the series, but has said she has no real power on it.  As with many TV series, the goal to create drama can sometimes lead to inconsistencies or weaknesses in the story line if one analyzes it too closely rather than just go with the flow and enjoy it.  For instance, in the world that Atwood created (fairly well depicted in the series), the main character (June) was not as rebellious and wouldn’t have survived as long as she has if she were.

If you do end up watching this series, watch for Margaret Atwood’s cameo role in the first episode of the first season – she plays an Aunt who slaps June.  (Atwood said the scene was difficult for her.)

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/margaret-atwood-the-testaments-handmaids-tale

I’ll add it to my list.  I need a smart series to watch.  I’m not much of a sitcom guy, and prefer intelligent, deep stories to fluff.  (Atwood is def not fluff…)

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  19-08-2010

29 April 2021 00:43

There is a buzz around my work place concerning this series. Colleagues give it a big thumbs up.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2021 08:14

MARTIN_UK - 29 April 2021 12:43 AM

There is a buzz around my work place concerning this series. Colleagues give it a big thumbs up.

So, this series is currently available in the UK?  I’ve quite enjoyed British series when they’ve arrived here on cable TV, but often they’re not current.  The British dramas I’ve seen are particularly clever and real.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2021 08:16

Well, there were actually two episodes aired last night.  I’m still processing and not sure what I think.  Changes and surprises.  Is this character change to be expected in such a world or are the writers taking it too far for drama’s sake?  And another ‘cliffhanger’ episode.