#251- Corporate Cowardice A Conversation with Antonio García-Martínez

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6952
Joined  22-02-2005

26 May 2021 17:36

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Antonio García-Martínez about his recent firing at Apple. They discuss his experience in tech, his book “Chaos Monkeys,” the controversy at Apple, cancel culture, and other topics.

#251- Corporate Cowardice A Conversation with Antonio García-Martínez

This thread is for listeners’ comments

GardenLove

GardenLove
Total Posts:  27
Joined  14-12-2020

27 May 2021 07:24

I guess I don’t own or can’t “gatekeep” the “left” but weaponizing capitalism to enforce a moral code seems like a form of combat that by definition embraces capitalism and is therefore the domain of the right. I get that left and right are now usually defined in identity terms instead of economic terms but as an old school leftist I don’t see the identity people as being down for the cause. “Woke” politics may be low hanging fruit. In the same way the right is having a sad coming to Jesus moment over whether to Trump or not to Trump the left needs to decide if we can, hell, if it’s even possible to cut out the crazies and put the focus on economic justice.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1267
Joined  20-07-2017

29 May 2021 08:25
atheist

atheist
Total Posts:  12
Joined  21-07-2017

01 June 2021 18:30

I got soooo annoyed by this soft-ball interview with Antonio García-Martínez.  There were so many problems with this interview, I was just angry.  Sam, you usually do a much better job.  This was disgraceful.

First, Sam, you were unprepared.  You did not have at your fingertips the actual quotes that are the most sexist.  You allowed Antonio to read *part* of it, and stop reading before he got to the most egregious parts.  How convenient for him.

Second, you put words in his mouth, saying he must not *really* be that sexist, that it was a character of sorts taken in the book.  Well, let Antonio say that if it is true!  To the contrary, I followed him for a while on Twitter, and I am not aware of him EVER correcting the record and giving anyone assurance that he is NOT a sexist jerk.  In fact, he completely dodged this in your interview, with some hand waving and saying that an “artist” shouldn’t have to constantly qualify everything he says.  Awesome, but how about ONE TIME say that you actually do not think women engineers are incompetent?!  Because, you know, many would have to work with you.

I am a female software engineer (not at Apple), and I would not want to work with someone who has gone on the record saying that nearly all female engineers are “useless baggage”, and has thereafter refused to qualify or say that he does not actually feel that way.

I am not being irrational or picking and choosing here just because I am a female engineer.  I 100% DEFENDED the famous Google memo, and even called into NPR to do so publicly.  There was almost nothing in it that I found offensive.  IMO, though, the passages in this book are far more egregious. 

I am not even asking for an apology for him.  I get that *maybe* he was just taking on a persona in the book. But if that is true, why is it too much to ask for this guy to clarify his views on women engineers.  If he refuses to do that, then, well, he doesn’t deserve to work side by side with women at Apple or elsewhere.

BTW, I’d love to know how many of the rave reviews of his book were written by women.  I seriously don’t know; maybe some; I’m curious to know. 

I’ll note that an anti-tech book getting a good review despite being sexist - especially if mostly reviewed by men - could be a case of “my enemies enemy is my friend”.