Total Posts:  2002
Joined  31-10-2015

07 June 2021 07:07

mapadofu - 07 June 2021 06:17 AM

Let’s see… if the extreme left took charge of the federal government:

- $15 minimum wage

- Medicare for all

- Publicly funded secondary education

- Election Day is a national holiday, automatic registration etc.

- a stiff carbon tax

- decriminalization of illegal border crossing

- federal gun restrictions (assault weapons ban, capacity limits etc.)

- anti-monopoly action against the tech giants

- court packing

- reduction in military

- Admit DC and maybe PR as states

You mean post-secondary education? State schools only, or would Yale be as free as a state college?

Thanks for the response, by the way. Anyone else?

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1142
Joined  20-07-2017

07 June 2021 08:06

Yes, you are correct.  I’m not sure about the implementation— I’m hearing tiers: free community college, free state college, if it was money to students then, maybe, free private schools.  Whether you want to consider that possibility depends on how free you let your imagination.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5169
Joined  19-08-2010

08 June 2021 00:14

LadyJane - 02 June 2021 05:21 PM

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

You must let me steal this so I can use it myself one day, saving it for the most appropriate time and place for optimum delivery. It actually did make me spit out my drink then laugh out loud.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3937
Joined  26-03-2013

08 June 2021 06:36

MARTIN_UK - 08 June 2021 12:14 AM
LadyJane - 02 June 2021 05:21 PM

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

You must let me steal this so I can use it myself one day, saving it for the most appropriate time and place for optimum delivery. It actually did make me spit out my drink then laugh out loud.

An oldie but a goodie.  Here’s another:  Whether you think you can or you can’t, you’re right.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8000
Joined  15-02-2007

08 June 2021 07:43

nonverbal - 07 June 2021 07:07 AM

Anyone else?

Democratic policy, to me, seems to be focused on raising up and helping people.

GOP policy, to me, seems to be focused on retaining power at any cost, and blocking any democrat branded change.
All while pandering to their perceived voter base, and making life for joe and jane anybody just a bit harder.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2021 16:37

Jefe - 08 June 2021 07:43 AM

Anyone else?

GOP policy, to me, seems to be focused on retaining power at any cost, and blocking any democrat branded change.
All while pandering to their perceived voter base, and making life for joe and jane anybody just a bit harder.

That seems like a reasonable attitude, at least part of it.

But if you favor defunding police departments in American cities, then you’re a contributor, if only emotionally, to a disastrous inner-city death rate that’s still growing. It wasn’t the GOP who did this to us. It was (D) mayors and governors. Please correct me if some were GOP. Meanwhile, I’d like to see RICO laws invoked against the thugs who put into effect anti-police policies that not only shrunk their numbers, but encouraged mob violence against officers on the streets.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 June 2021 16:53

nonverbal - 08 June 2021 04:37 PM

Anyone else?

But if you favor defunding police departments in American cities, then you’re a contributor, if only emotionally, to a disastrous inner-city death rate that’s still growing. It wasn’t the GOP who did this to us. It was (D) mayors and governors. Please correct me if some were GOP. Meanwhile, I’d like to see RICO laws invoked against the thugs who put into effect anti-police policies that not only shrunk their numbers, but encouraged mob violence against officers on the streets.

I never said anything about favouring/disfavouring defunding police.

I do think that they could stand to have both checks on their authority and seeming lack of consequences for bad decisions.

I also think they could use more support in the form of experts in psychology, de-escalation and medical assessment of potentially other-abled and/or altered states people.  Arresting or beating up autistic folks who are having overload-panic comes to mind as an example.

It seems like you may be conflating the ‘extreme left’ with general democrats here.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2021 17:05

Jefe - 08 June 2021 04:53 PM
nonverbal - 08 June 2021 04:37 PM

Anyone else?

I never said anything about favouring/disfavouring defunding police.

I do think that they could stand to have both checks on their authority and seeming lack of consequences for bad decisions.

I also think they could use more support in the form of experts in psychology, de-escalation and medical assessment of potentially other-abled and/or altered states people.  Arresting or beating up autistic folks who are having overload-panic comes to mind as an example.

It seems like you may be conflating the ‘extreme left’ with general democrats here.

I was just saying there are two sides to the story, is all. And, yes, I’ve advocated the law-enforcement reforms you mention for quite a while. We agree completely.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 June 2021 17:12

. . .

The mayors and governors I referred to were certainly extreme, but they were elected officials. Someone must have voted them in. Majority voters within their party must have gotten riled up somewhere along the line, right?

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 June 2021 17:53

nonverbal - 08 June 2021 05:05 PM

I was just saying there are two sides to the story, is all.

In all reality, there could be several different sides to any story.  But as the title implies, US politics is very us/them right now. And the tactics used by some are more obstructionist/exploitive than others might want them to be.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 June 2021 17:54

nonverbal - 08 June 2021 05:12 PM

. . .

The mayors and governors I referred to were certainly extreme, but they were elected officials. Someone must have voted them in. Majority voters within their party must have gotten riled up somewhere along the line, right?

I’m not terribly familiar with ‘most’ of local opinions at the civic or state level, but this article (linked below) suggests that most mayors do not favour defunding police.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/27/960883916/most-u-s-mayors-do-not-support-reallocating-police-resources-survey-finds

It’s NPR so it may contain biased viewpoint, but the title is pretty self explanatory.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1142
Joined  20-07-2017

09 June 2021 17:36

I’ve heard people describe their position as being “defund the police” when what they’re advocating for are the types of reforms brought up earlier in this thread that everyone seems on board with.  Taking funding away (aka defunding) from the police department and devoting those resources towards other capabilities to support the community.  As far as I know that is where all actual politicians are.

Of course there are some people who actually propose abolishing the police.  They too might bandy “defund the police” about too.  However I think that unless we pay attention to who means exactly what when they use this slogan, we’ll just end up mid understanding each other and the world around us.

< 1 2