Who’s in charge of changing holidays?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2001
Joined  31-10-2015

10 June 2021 15:37

Good reasons to move the Christmas holiday to sometime during spring:

1. Highway deaths drastically increase whenever Christmas gets celebrated because the roads that time of year can tend to be as hazardous as they get.

2. Covid spread appears to be far less deadly during warmer months, when families can safely unite. (Let’s hope herd immunity will cancel this point.)

3. Wasn’t Jesus actually born during springtime, anyway?

4. The above analysis applies equally to seasonal flu concerns.

Any more come to mind? How might this change be implemented? Is it too strongly affixed to some root psychological need?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22372
Joined  11-03-2007

10 June 2021 20:27

There is no reason to change it.  I like it where it is.  Egg nog tastes better when it is cold outside, anyway.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

11 June 2021 07:57

EN - 10 June 2021 08:27 PM

There is no reason to change it.  I like it where it is.  Egg nog tastes better when it is cold outside, anyway.

Would the Christmas holiday become devalued, or changed in some way if it were moved to when Jesus is thought to have been born? I think it might, just because everyone would have to get used to a different experience, different especially in cold climates.

On the other hand, if talented PR and ad folks got hired to help the transition along, I can imagine headlines like, “Finally, Jesus, we are going to celebrate your birth safely and in the season you were actually born. We apologize for insulting you all these centuries, having changed your birthday. Our bad.”

(Good thing I don’t make a living as an ad guy, right? I’d starve.)

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

11 June 2021 14:42

Christmas is as much a secular holiday as a religious one. Regarding the religious aspect, we don’t know when he was born, anyway, so one day is as good as another.  Regarding the secular aspect, what would you do with Santa Claus?  What about all the songs - Jack Frost, Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, Jingle Bells - this would be social disruption on steroids.  You would be drawn and quartered if you tried to change it - in the true Christmas spirit of carving turkeys and hams.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2378
Joined  14-08-2008

11 June 2021 15:28

Fox News would amplify their already insane annual “War On Christmas” coverage.

Ron

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

11 June 2021 15:35

EN - 11 June 2021 02:42 PM

Christmas is as much a secular holiday as a religious one. Regarding the religious aspect, we don’t know when he was born, anyway, so one day is as good as another.  Regarding the secular aspect, what would you do with Santa Claus?  What about all the songs - Jack Frost, Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire, Jingle Bells - this would be social disruption on steroids.  You would be drawn and quartered if you tried to change it - in the true Christmas spirit of carving turkeys and hams.

Yes, Christmas has become a highly secular holiday, overpoweringly so. It’ll all be in the ad campaign. I’ll start by emailing the Pope with my thoughts on the matter. If I get a reply, I’ll post it here. (It’ll take me a while to come up with the email.)

Meanwhile, I hope to see more pro-reschedule suggestions here to supplement the ones I have.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

11 June 2021 15:37

MrRon - 11 June 2021 03:28 PM

Fox News would amplify their already insane annual “War On Christmas” coverage.

Ron

That would only help my cause. Publicity is publicity!

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10638
Joined  20-10-2006

11 June 2021 18:03

How about moving Christmas, and keep the date but celebrate something pagan?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

11 June 2021 19:22

Skipshot - 11 June 2021 06:03 PM

Christmas is as much pagan as Christian.  Nobody wants to change it . It’s a festivus for the rest of us. Change Thanksgiving to November 34tjh.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

13 June 2021 08:24

EN - 11 June 2021 07:22 PM
Skipshot - 11 June 2021 06:03 PM

Christmas is as much pagan as Christian.  Nobody wants to change it . It’s a festivus for the rest of us. Change Thanksgiving to November 34tjh.

Maybe I should wait a while before seeking support for my next cancellation project—the penny. I’ll get back to it, assuming I won’t somehow be cancelled first.