‹ First  < 2 3 4

Lex Freidman interviews Yeonmi Park

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8814
Joined  22-02-2014

13 July 2021 11:00

weird:

.. For the claim “black live matter is the cause of racial divisions” to be true, it would mean that racial divisions didn’t exist in this country prior to the existence of BLM…

No one ever said “BLM is the cause”. I would contend however that some of BLM’s tactics have exacerbated “pre-existing but improving” problem of racism.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1262
Joined  20-07-2017

13 July 2021 11:01

How so?

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

13 July 2021 11:02

LadyJane - 13 July 2021 10:46 AM

What appears to be a reasonable request at a discussion forum often circles perpetually.  This is what happens when statements are copied from somewhere and repeated here.  When the inevitable questions follow there’s nowhere for the patron to turn unless the person who made the statements initially was asked the very same questions making the answers readily available to copy and repeat here along with their statements.  Without that the patron is lost.  And it leaves nowhere to go.  Which means everyone’s questions routinely go unanswered. 

Hence the spinning.

Hey LJ,

Way back near the beginning of this thread I asked you if you could clarify your concerns about the video. I think we established that you had some doubts about the veracity of the speaker. But I also inferred that you had some doubts about some of the speaker’s messages. Is that true?

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1923
Joined  19-06-2020

13 July 2021 11:03

icehorse - 13 July 2021 11:00 AM

weird:

.. For the claim “black live matter is the cause of racial divisions” to be true, it would mean that racial divisions didn’t exist in this country prior to the existence of BLM…

No one ever said “BLM is the cause”. I would contend however that some of BLM’s tactics have exacerbated “pre-existing but improving” problem of racism.

This is at best victim blaming.  You are saying that people who are targets of racism, and are trying to fight against it… are the problem.  No, the problem is the racism.  The racism is the underlying cause and division.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

13 July 2021 11:22

weird buffalo - 13 July 2021 11:03 AM

weird:

This is at best victim blaming.  You are saying that people who are targets of racism, and are trying to fight against it… are the problem.  No, the problem is the racism.  The racism is the underlying cause and division.

Can you see how you just misquoted me?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4094
Joined  26-03-2013

13 July 2021 11:46

icehorse - 13 July 2021 11:02 AM

What appears to be a reasonable request at a discussion forum often circles perpetually.  This is what happens when statements are copied from somewhere and repeated here.  When the inevitable questions follow there’s nowhere for the patron to turn unless the person who made the statements initially was asked the very same questions making the answers readily available to copy and repeat here along with their statements.  Without that the patron is lost.  And it leaves nowhere to go.  Which means everyone’s questions routinely go unanswered. 

Hence the spinning.

Hey LJ,

Way back near the beginning of this thread I asked you if you could clarify your concerns about the video. I think we established that you had some doubts about the veracity of the speaker. But I also inferred that you had some doubts about some of the speaker’s messages. Is that true?

Let’s not belabour the point.  It wasn’t my intention to leave the impression I had an interest in interacting with you.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

13 July 2021 12:43

LadyJane - 13 July 2021 11:46 AM
icehorse - 13 July 2021 11:02 AM

Hence the spinning.

Hey LJ,

Let’s not belabour the point.  It wasn’t my intention to leave the impression I had an interest in interacting with you.

good to know

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

13 July 2021 13:59

icehorse - 13 July 2021 11:22 AM
weird buffalo - 13 July 2021 11:03 AM

weird:

Can you see how you just misquoted me?

No, I am giving you back your quote and how I interpret it.  If you don’t like it, then feel free to clarify what you mean and provide evidence that supports your claim.

Again, I don’t care about an Op-Ed from someone.  Show me actual evidence.

Stop telling me that you think there’s a problem.  I already know you think there’s a problem.  Just repeating that you think a problem exists is… well… repetitious.  Take the next step.  Demonstrate that the problem is real.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

13 July 2021 14:17

For example, if I were to say that the current system of representation in most court systems is both unfair and detrimental to society at large, I would then provide evidence to back up my claim.
source

With an annual investment of approximately $5.7 million in a right to counsel, Baltimore City may reduce the current cost of disruptive displacement caused by eviction or avoid costs related to disruptive displacement estimated to be approximately $17.5 million annually.  For every dollar Baltimore City spends on providing free representation to eligible tenants through a right to counsel, it may reduce its current social safety net response to disruptive displacement caused by eviction by at least $3.06. Considering that many social safety net responses to disruptive displacement are partially funded by the state of Maryland, Maryland may also reduce a portion of its spending related to disruptive displacement caused by eviction. Stout estimates the annual cost of disruptive displacement and potential costs avoided as a result of a right to counsel in Baltimore City eviction cases that accrue to Baltimore City and Maryland to be approximately $35.6 million annually, which would result in a dollar value of a right to counsel for every dollar invested of at least $6.24 for Baltimore City and Maryland combined.

I could then point to this information to highlight that evictions in Baltimore are heavily biased by race.

That source talks about racial segregation in Baltimore.  I could then link this video that helps give a brief overview of intentional segregation by race in Baltimore, and how those effects are still being felt today.

See, with the above pieces of information, I can point out that housing in Baltimore has been heavily influenced by racism, and that a key way of providing people with housing protection would be to provide free legal counsel that can help defend their rights. Not only would this policy help people have more stable housing, but it would save the city/state money.  I am not reliant on my opinion, or anyone else’s.  I can back up what I’m saying with facts that can be verified and investigated.

If you want your opinion to be taken seriously… then you should start by taking it seriously yourself.  Quit crying foul when you get called out for putting forward shitty arguments.  All it does is make you sound like a baby.

[ Edited: 13 July 2021 14:19 by weird buffalo]

‹ First  < 2 3 4