1 2 3 > 

Bari Weiss interviews Winston Marshal of Mumford and Sons.

diding

diding
Total Posts:  681
Joined  07-01-2016

13 July 2021 08:15

The interview:

https://youtu.be/afi7zCCbny4

A sample of their music:

https://youtu.be/rId6PKlDXeU

Winston’s essay about why he left the band:

https://mrwinstonmarshall.medium.com/why-im-leaving-mumford-sons-e6e731bbc255

Doers his story illustrate a sad and alarming trend or is he paying the price for having bad opinions?

[ Edited: 13 July 2021 11:33 by diding]

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8263
Joined  15-02-2007

13 July 2021 09:47

The irony of trying to pin cancel-culture on the left as a solely extreme left cultural artifact is amusing.

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/republicans-cancel-culture-kaepernick/

There are, arguably, individuals at both extremes who are ‘unhelpful’ at the very least, and ‘actively harmful’ when approaching worst-case-scenarios.  But cancel culture has been around since before religion was invented by mystics of wandering tribes of hunter/gatherers, and does not belong solely to any one party or group.

[ Edited: 13 July 2021 09:50 by Jefe]

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1915
Joined  19-06-2020

13 July 2021 10:47

Twitter is a hellhole.  No one should be on it.

Andy Ngo has been caught by journalists participating in the planning of assault at a rally.  He’s a slimeball who is monetizing your outrage.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8263
Joined  15-02-2007

13 July 2021 10:50

weird buffalo - 13 July 2021 10:47 AM

He’s a slimeball who is monetizing your outrage.

Could be said of many youtube and twit’er pundits.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1926
Joined  01-11-2014

13 July 2021 18:21

I can’t help but wonder what would have happened if Winston Marshal had simply turned off his cellphone and didn’t use social media for a month?

These social media bullies and trolls thrive on responses. The saying, “Don’t feed the trolls,” is absolutely correct and it’s the best thing to do. His responses, and certainly his apology, only emboldened the Twitter Mob more.

The shelf life of online controversies, like the attention span of Twitter users themselves, is very brief. I think he could have waited this out in silence and probably been okay.

I hope this passes and he rejoins the band he seems to love.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

14 July 2021 05:47

Jefe - 13 July 2021 10:50 AM
weird buffalo - 13 July 2021 10:47 AM

He’s a slimeball who is monetizing your outrage.

Could be said of many youtube and twit’er pundits.

He’s not just a pundit.  He’s an active troll.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  724
Joined  03-08-2014

14 July 2021 14:31

Poor Winston Marshal, poor Barri Weiss

Here is an interesting review of the book Marshal praised: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2021-02-08/andy-ngo-new-book-still-pretends-antifa-real-enemy  Is “panned” too weak?  While claiming many reasons for apologizing, no where does Marshal admit that there are serious problems with the book.  I think it’s perfectly fair to call him right-wing for praising a clearly right-wing author.  If he got a lot of flack for praising a disciple of a right-wing hatchet man, well, a) he should have done his homework and b) getting flack is part of being a celebrity.  In case you missed the sarcasm (poor Winston Marshal) I’ll state it more clearly.  I have no sympathy.

A couple choice quotes from the review:

‘Distortions and untruths hover like flies around every shred of confirmable fact. The same section of “Unmasked” that ends with Ngo’s paean to the United States portrays a mid-November “Stop the Steal” rally in Washington as a “peaceful and celebratory” affair, with no mention of the Proud Boys amassed there. The counter-protesters, meanwhile, are a “marauding gang.”’

‘Ngo crosses the line into truly despicable when he downplays the murders of Heather Heyer by white nationalists in Charlottesville and Black teenager Trayvon Martin by vigilante George Zimmerman. Every act of violence by antifa, meanwhile, is described so meticulously and ominously that Herr Goebbels would have been proud.’

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

14 July 2021 16:09

For the record, only one person has been murdered by a self-identified antifa member in the past 25 years.  Whereas white supremacists killed 64 people from 2015 to 2019.

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

15 July 2021 11:31

lynmc - 14 July 2021 02:31 PM

Here is an interesting review of the book Marshal praised: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/books/story/2021-02-08/andy-ngo-new-book-still-pretends-antifa-real-enemy  Is “panned” too weak?  While claiming many reasons for apologizing, no where does Marshal admit that there are serious problems with the book.  I think it’s perfectly fair to call him right-wing for praising a clearly right-wing author.  If he got a lot of flack for praising a disciple of a right-wing hatchet man, well, a) he should have done his homework and b) getting flack is part of being a celebrity.  In case you missed the sarcasm (poor Winston Marshal) I’ll state it more clearly.  I have no sympathy.

‘Distortions and untruths hover like flies around every shred of confirmable fact. The same section of “Unmasked” that ends with Ngo’s paean to the United States portrays a mid-November “Stop the Steal” rally in Washington as a “peaceful and celebratory” affair, with no mention of the Proud Boys amassed there. The counter-protesters, meanwhile, are a “marauding gang.”’

‘Ngo crosses the line into truly despicable when he downplays the murders of Heather Heyer by white nationalists in Charlottesville and Black teenager Trayvon Martin by vigilante George Zimmerman. Every act of violence by antifa, meanwhile, is described so meticulously and ominously that Herr Goebbels would have been proud.’

What does someone who liked the book say?

lynmc

lynmc
Joined  03-08-2014

15 July 2021 13:00

diding - 15 July 2021 11:31 AM

“Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man”

Really, does it matter what someone who liked the book says?  Someone who gets his information from right-wing sources will likely like the book, someone who likes the book likely gets his information from right-wing sources.  None of these (including right-wing pundits who probably praised it) are likely to be objective. 

A book review from a respected news organization, whether the reviewer slants right or left, is likely to be much more objective.  I’ll take the LA Times reviewer over 1000 Faux news viewers or pundits.

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

15 July 2021 14:42

lynmc - 15 July 2021 01:00 PM

“Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man”

Really, does it matter what someone who liked the book says?  Someone who gets his information from right-wing sources will likely like the book, someone who likes the book likely gets his information from right-wing sources.  None of these (including right-wing pundits who probably praised it) are likely to be objective. 

A book review from a respected news organization, whether the reviewer slants right or left, is likely to be much more objective.  I’ll take the LA Times reviewer over 1000 Faux news viewers or pundits.

Did you read the book?  How would you know if the LA Times reviewer is objective?

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

15 July 2021 16:19

diding - 15 July 2021 02:42 PM

Did you read the book?  How would you know if the LA Times reviewer is objective?

Did you read the book?  How would you know that the LA Times reviewer isn’t objective?

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

15 July 2021 18:11

weird buffalo - 15 July 2021 04:19 PM

Did you read the book?  How would you know that the LA Times reviewer isn’t objective?

No.  I didn’t claim that I knew that.  I neither claimed that the review was objective nor that Ngo’s book was factually wrong.  That would be speaking out of ignorance.

[ Edited: 15 July 2021 18:21 by diding]

lynmc

lynmc
Joined  03-08-2014

15 July 2021 19:04

I haven’t read the book, I’m not going to read the book, I haven’t claimed the LA Times reviewer is objective only that he is more likely to be objective than any right-wing pundit pushing the book.  I have no reason to disbelieve the LA Times reviewer, but lots of reason to disbelieve fear-mongering from right-wing pundits.

Another pan - I don’t know the slant of this reviewer: https://milpitasbeat.com/book-review-andy-ngos-unmasked-is-a-failure-of-journalism-persuasion/

And another pan: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/andy-ngo/unmasked-ngo/:  “A book that belongs in any QAnon subscriber’s collection.”  I believe Kirkus Reviews is also a fairly respected magazine dedicated to book reviews.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

15 July 2021 21:48

diding - 15 July 2021 06:11 PM

No.  I didn’t claim that I knew that.  I neither claimed that the review was objective nor that Ngo’s book was factually wrong.  That would be speaking out of ignorance.

Yeah, you never claim to know anything, you’re just asking questions.

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

16 July 2021 09:01

weird buffalo - 15 July 2021 09:48 PM
diding - 15 July 2021 06:11 PM

Yeah, you never claim to know anything, you’re just asking questions.

I know some about carpentry and fishing, but not that much.

1 2 3 >