< 1 2 3 > 

Bari Weiss interviews Winston Marshal of Mumford and Sons.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1931
Joined  01-11-2014

16 July 2021 10:55

From the Kirkus review:

According to the author, there are “whole networks of writers and so-called journalists who intentionally spread pro-antifa messaging.”
...His conclusion seems particularly untimely given the events of Jan. 6, 2021. He argues that antifa will yield naught but “ash, blood, and feces-stained rubble,” when of course that would better describe what the mob of right-wing extremists left behind at the U.S. Capitol.

So the book is just more right wing extremist propaganda.

But the fact that Winston Marshal read it and send a short message of praise of the author, Ngo, does this give a Twitter Mob the right to hound him, harass him, and force him to leave his livelihood, music and the band he loved?

I don’t think so. I think you have the right to read whatever you want to read and not have the Upright Citizen’s Brigade attack you because you did.

Perhaps Marshal is politically naive. Perhaps he is something of a right winger. Perhaps he was just curious to get another point of view. This is his right. He should be left alone, or at best, told politely why Ngo’s book is crap.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1923
Joined  19-06-2020

16 July 2021 11:06

Cheshire Cat - 16 July 2021 10:55 AM

I don’t think so. I think you have the right to read whatever you want to read and not have the Upright Citizen’s Brigade attack you because you did.

Perhaps Marshal is politically naive. Perhaps he is something of a right winger. Perhaps he was just curious to get another point of view. This is his right. He should be left alone, or at best, told politely why Ngo’s book is crap.

He didn’t just read the book.  As a famous person with a platform, he used his platform to promote and praise the book.

No one got mad at him for reading it.  It’s not like he was under 24 hour surveillance, and someone outed him for having read it.  He promoted and praised the book.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

16 July 2021 16:47

weird buffalo - 16 July 2021 11:06 AM

He didn’t just read the book.  As a famous person with a platform, he used his platform to promote and praise the book.

No one got mad at him for reading it.  It’s not like he was under 24 hour surveillance, and someone outed him for having read it.  He promoted and praised the book.

Lynmc posted this earlier.  I assume this is the tweet that caused all the trouble:

“Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man”

For this two word sentence, he was hounded and shamed? Under the first Amendment he has the right of free speech, even if he is a celebrity.

The thought police are alive and well.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

16 July 2021 16:49

Cheshire Cat - 16 July 2021 04:47 PM
weird buffalo - 16 July 2021 11:06 AM

Lynmc posted this earlier.  I assume this is the tweet that caused all the trouble:

“Congratulations @MrAndyNgo. Finally had the time to read your important book. You’re a brave man”

For this two word sentence, he was hounded and shamed? Under the first Amendment he has the right of free speech, even if he is a celebrity.

The thought police are alive and well.

Oh, the first amendment.  I wasn’t aware that it was the government that forced him to leave the band.  And by government, you must mean the UK government, since he lives in England.  Where we all agree that the First Amendment is DEFINITELY part of their laws.  Though he does own a $3.2 million apartment in NYC.

The first amendment also protects all the people who’s behavior you are looking down on.

[ Edited: 16 July 2021 16:54 by weird buffalo]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

16 July 2021 18:41

weird buffalo - 16 July 2021 04:49 PM

Oh, the first amendment.  I wasn’t aware that it was the government that forced him to leave the band.  And by government, you must mean the UK government, since he lives in England.  Where we all agree that the First Amendment is DEFINITELY part of their laws.  Though he does own a $3.2 million apartment in NYC.

The first amendment also protects all the people who’s behavior you are looking down on.

My understanding of Marshal’s situation is that the Twitter Mob was putting his family and fellow bandmates under psychological duress and possibly physical danger.

This is intimidation and mob behavior, pure and simple.

So yes, I am definitely “looking down” on those people. I don’t like bullies.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

16 July 2021 19:08

Cheshire Cat - 16 July 2021 06:41 PM

My understanding of Marshal’s situation is that the Twitter Mob was putting his family and fellow bandmates under psychological duress and possibly physical danger.

Are you arguing that these people should be denied their first amendment rights?

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  725
Joined  03-08-2014

17 July 2021 09:05

If he wanted support for right-wing political views, he should have joined a country-western band, not a folk rock one.  Folk-rock was rooted counter-culture, as was anti-fascism.  He was probably losing the band fans.  Country-western fans slant right-wing, so such a comment wouldn’t have gotten him such flack.  At least, that’s my impression.  Fans are entitled to express their views of those they regard as heroes especially if they think those heroes betrayed the cause.  No one, of course, should be allowed to make threats of physical danger - however, I didn’t read any claim that the band came under such a threat in Marshall’s statement.

He should have done his homework on the book.  Generic statements, he’s against both left-wing and right-wing extremism just don’t cut it.

diding

diding
Total Posts:  683
Joined  07-01-2016

17 July 2021 13:57

lynmc - 17 July 2021 09:05 AM

If he wanted support for right-wing political views, he should have joined a country-western band, not a folk rock one.  Folk-rock was rooted counter-culture, as was anti-fascism.  He was probably losing the band fans.  Country-western fans slant right-wing, so such a comment wouldn’t have gotten him such flack.  At least, that’s my impression.  Fans are entitled to express their views of those they regard as heroes especially if they think those heroes betrayed the cause.  No one, of course, should be allowed to make threats of physical danger - however, I didn’t read any claim that the band came under such a threat in Marshall’s statement.

He should have done his homework on the book.  Generic statements, he’s against both left-wing and right-wing extremism just don’t cut it.

He should “Stay in his lane” or find a more appropriate one, huh.

You’ll hate this guy.  Straight up to #1.

https://humanevents.com/2021/06/08/must-watch-rapper-calls-out-woke-left-in-new-trending-song/

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

17 July 2021 14:48

Naw, people can drive in whatever lane they want.  I just don’t care about when they whine about the consequences when they drive into oncoming traffic.

diding

diding
Total Posts:  683
Joined  07-01-2016

18 July 2021 09:05

weird buffalo - 17 July 2021 02:48 PM

Naw, people can drive in whatever lane they want.  I just don’t care about when they whine about the consequences when they drive into oncoming traffic.

What did you think of that guys rap?  Rap isn’t my cup of tea, but I found what he did a clever re-imagination of the genre.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

18 July 2021 17:30

weird buffalo - 16 July 2021 07:08 PM

Are you arguing that these people should be denied their first amendment rights?

So bullying and harassing people online is a first amendment right?

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

18 July 2021 18:30

Cheshire Cat - 18 July 2021 05:30 PM

Seems less offensive than neo-Nazi’s marching through a Jewish neighborhood to me.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

19 July 2021 10:45

weird buffalo - 18 July 2021 06:30 PM

Seems less offensive than neo-Nazi’s marching through a Jewish neighborhood to me.

True. But it’s still offensive.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

19 July 2021 14:41

Cheshire Cat - 19 July 2021 10:45 AM
weird buffalo - 18 July 2021 06:30 PM

True. But it’s still offensive.

And yet the neo-Nazi March is protected.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  725
Joined  03-08-2014

19 July 2021 14:41

Cheshire Cat - 18 July 2021 05:30 PM

And celebrities are entitled to adulation, and only adulation, from their adoring public.

< 1 2 3 >