1 2 3 > 

Anti-vax Propaganda on Right-wing Media?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8253
Joined  15-02-2007

14 July 2021 11:18

Recently running rampant across ultra-right media such as Newsmax, OAN, and Fox, what is the motivation behind the anti-vax propaganda?  Who, or what agenda, is helped by sewing covid vaccine hesitation or refusal among the audience of these media outlets?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8814
Joined  22-02-2014

14 July 2021 12:57

To help spark an actual revolution?  And then, if we follow the money, an actual revolution could be really good business for the media, sigh.

And if not so extreme, just to foment conflict, in search of “if it bleeds, it leads” ?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22613
Joined  11-03-2007

14 July 2021 13:40

There is, of course, a strain of anti-authority sentiment in the USA that goes back to its birth. It is normally just under the surface, but Trump summoned up all the demons that are normally behind the scenes.  Now we see its anti-science, anti-expert, anti-vaccine, and anti-government manifestations. It was nurtured in Appalachia, the Deep South, and the Mountain West, and now Trump has given it a voice. Every authority figure is seen as the enemy.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4082
Joined  26-03-2013

14 July 2021 15:03

I think somebody needs to call Child Protective Services on Tennessee.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1920
Joined  01-11-2014

14 July 2021 15:06

I see the far right’s anti-vax stance as a symbolic and dangerous loyalty oath to the tribe. To be a true tribal member, you must not get vaccinated.

By not getting vaccinated, you are showing contempt for the medical experts and government public health officials who are encouraging you to do otherwise. To get vaccinated would be to comply with these people who do not share your values: Religion and faith are greater than science; government is always suspect and should never be trusted.

To be a member of any tribe, you must show your loyalty. You must be tested. Some personal sacrifice must be made.

Not getting vaccinated means you are taking a personal risk. It also means those around you, including your family, are part of this wager.

Your faith that Jesus will spare you and your family from Covid-19, is a crucial part of the test.

Your refusal to cooperate with public health experts, shows your rugged individualism. The Nanny state cannot tell you what to do.

By risking your life and health, and those around you, you are swearing fealty to the conservative, right-wing, group mind. You are a true-blue tribal member.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

14 July 2021 15:59

c-cat,

that’s scary, but it reads pretty true. argh.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

14 July 2021 16:02

and.. given that we’re on a forum devoted to critical thinking, and with a large helping of cynicism we could conclude that:

Covid targets the credulous.

(Could Gaia be that smart?)

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

14 July 2021 16:15

icehorse - 14 July 2021 04:02 PM

and.. given that we’re on a forum devoted to critical thinking, and with a large helping of cynicism we could conclude that:

Covid targets everyone. 
The credulous can be manipulated into allowing it to get to them (and, consequently, those close to them…)
Credulity is an enemy of reason and critical thinking.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1920
Joined  01-11-2014

14 July 2021 16:21

icehorse - 14 July 2021 03:59 PM

c-cat,

that’s scary, but it reads pretty true. argh.

Yeah, these people are scary.

There’s also a kind of child-like, (or maybe just childish) rebellion to it all:

(A boy stamping his foot petulantly)
I won’t get the vaccine and you can’t make me!
And the government can’t tell me what to do, only Jesus!
Just wait, Jesus is coming soon and he’s going to put all of you in hell!
You’ll see. You won’t be so smart then, will you?

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

14 July 2021 16:28

Jefe - 14 July 2021 04:15 PM

Covid targets everyone. 
The credulous can be manipulated into allowing it to get to them (and, consequently, those close to them…)

right, so a little logical leap here (fanciful for sure), that somehow covid is “aware” or is designed so that the credulous will ignore calls to be vaccinated. Of course I don’t really believe this, but we are observing that the credulous are putting themselves in harms way. So one end result is that covid will - in fact - cull the credulous more than it culls the critical thinkers. Put another way, the credulous are earning Darwin awards at a faster pace smile

Rick Robson

Rick Robson
Total Posts:  119
Joined  22-09-2017

14 July 2021 16:37

Cheshire Cat - 14 July 2021 03:06 PM

I see the far right’s anti-vax stance as a symbolic and dangerous loyalty oath to the tribe. To be a true tribal member, you must not get vaccinated.

By not getting vaccinated, you are showing contempt for the medical experts and government public health officials who are encouraging you to do otherwise. To get vaccinated would be to comply with these people who do not share your values: Religion and faith are greater than science; government is always suspect and should never be trusted.

To be a member of any tribe, you must show your loyalty. You must be tested. Some personal sacrifice must be made.

Not getting vaccinated means you are taking a personal risk. It also means those around you, including your family, are part of this wager.

Your faith that Jesus will spare you and your family from Covid-19, is a crucial part of the test.

Your refusal to cooperate with public health experts, shows your rugged individualism. The Nanny state cannot tell you what to do.

By risking your life and health, and those around you, you are swearing fealty to the conservative, right-wing, group mind. You are a true-blue tribal member.

Pretty surprised that all this anti-science spirit is still increasingly arising throughout the U.S. It strikes me as really intriguing, as in Brasil we’re luckily not facing that growing issue in spite of all out federal government efforts to discredit the scientific and medical community orientations to the public at the beginning of the pandemics. Not to say that we have in my country a much bigger amount of Catholic and Evangelical church worshipers than in the U.S.

And as it turns out, Bolsonaro’s government has been so disastrous concerning how they handled the pandemics that most people are now definitely going to vote for Lula da Silva to come back to presidency on the next elections (he’s now surprisingly been absolved from all charges that sent him to prison.) However, that’s on the other hand a pretty concerning probability to our country, given his strong bias toward the ultra-left wing political ideology, which has increasingly turned out as massively preponderant in the whole Latin America (Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua and recently Argentina as the most extreme examples.) IMO, it ultimately turns out that both political extremes end up having much more similarities than differences.

You know, all this fuss about the anti-vax stance arousing stronger in the U.S. reminds me of an old statement made by Isaac Asimov, which also evidences the increasingly less and less value, merit and recognition given by our societies to the scientific communities around the world who are still finding the cures to literally so many diseases that historically submitted our human species to so much pain and suffering…

“The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.”—Isaac Asimov

But I’ve recently found an interesting perspective on what the people can do to make this a better world. And I indeed do strongly hope that those initiatives increase in the U.S.:

Poverty, God, Politics - What this Experience Taught Me with David Beckmann

[ Edited: 14 July 2021 16:41 by Rick Robson]

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

14 July 2021 16:41

icehorse - 14 July 2021 04:28 PM
Jefe - 14 July 2021 04:15 PM

Covid targets everyone. 

right, so a little logical leap here (fanciful for sure), that somehow covid is “aware” or is designed so that the credulous will ignore calls to be vaccinated. Of course I don’t really believe this, but we are observing that the credulous are putting themselves in harms way. So one end result is that covid will - in fact - cull the credulous more than it culls the critical thinkers. Put another way, the credulous are earning Darwin awards at a faster pace smile

Fanciful indeed, re Covid ‘awareness’.

I re-submit that only in a (first) world made (relatively) safe by vaccines could anti-vax sentiments gain such traction.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2447
Joined  14-08-2008

15 July 2021 05:54

Jefe - 14 July 2021 11:18 AM

Recently running rampant across ultra-right media such as Newsmax, OAN, and Fox, what is the motivation behind the anti-vax propaganda?  Who, or what agenda, is helped by sewing covid vaccine hesitation or refusal among the audience of these media outlets?

To me it’s obvious that one (huge) motivation by the right is to simply make Biden look bad by preventing him from accomplishing his goals. A recovered and healthy nation with a thriving economy under Biden would be disastrous for the right and they know it. So they will take every opportunity to throw sand in the gears. That plus a large segment of the right is anti-science to begin with, so the anti-vax narrative is a natural for the right-wing media.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  19-06-2020

15 July 2021 08:08

I don’t disagree, just adding another layer.

I think this is part of how it is packaged and sold.  I think there’s a more cynical explanation on why media sources are pushing this idea though: advertising revenue and cultural control.

To start with, the anti-vax stance is a self-selection process.  People who consider it ridiculous are going to tune out, and either not pay attention or just watch something else entirely.  The people who will buy the message (intentional double-meaning) are the only ones who will keep their eyes glued.  This is Fox News’ strategy.  The people who will believe their bullshit are also the same people who will do what Fox tells them to do.  A more extreme version of this is Alex Jones.  His craziness is in many ways just the sorting process for hooking the people who are willing to buy BrainForce pills.  The people who realize he’s full of shit aren’t going to be tricked into buying pills to make you smarter.

With Fox, the agenda is to build a coalition of voters who will adhere to the wishes of the corporate masters and conservative politicians who already hold power.  It’s why people like Ted Cruz will get on Fox News and repeat whatever talking points Fox has been spreading lately, because he wants those voters on his side.  He wants their unquestioning loyalty.

Rick Robson

Rick Robson
Total Posts:  119
Joined  22-09-2017

15 July 2021 09:04

weird buffalo - 15 July 2021 08:08 AM

I don’t disagree, just adding another layer.

I think this is part of how it is packaged and sold.  I think there’s a more cynical explanation on why media sources are pushing this idea though: advertising revenue and cultural control.

Indeed. But don’t get me wrong, that’s part of the whole counterculture package sold by many of the mainstream media outlets everywhere, not only in the U.S. And the top subjects on the social media are just a reflection of that. I reckon that today’s digital entertainment industry also has a big part on the sponsorship of cultural control, a long-term strategy put forth by most of their corporate lords much like done by those on the corporate news outlets. IMO, that’s one of the reasons for the alarming increasing on the amount of people lacking discernment when it comes to identify what is fake and what’s true in the web. Are all these issues an actual threat to the remaining democratic pillars of our societies which is increasingly looming? I very much hope they’re not.

[ Edited: 15 July 2021 09:11 by Rick Robson]

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1262
Joined  20-07-2017

15 July 2021 11:23

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-nigerian-scam-emails-are-obvious-2014-5

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a37001629/cpac-vaccination-goal-biden-miss-clap/

Apparently some people take “owning the libs” so seriously, they’d risk their lives for it.  This might read as a mocking statement, but it is deadly serious.  At least some of the January 6th insurrectionists had to realize that they too were taking a risk with potentially fatal outcomes, and were willing to do it.  This really points to how fraught our political situation is — there are millions who pay at least lip service to this way of thinking.

I thought I’d hear more about the vaccine being the mark of the beast— maybe that was derailed by the Covid is a hoax narrative.

[ Edited: 15 July 2021 11:25 by mapadofu]

1 2 3 >