< 1 2 3 > 

Anti-vax Propaganda on Right-wing Media?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  8814
Joined  22-02-2014

15 July 2021 11:42

Jefe - 14 July 2021 04:41 PM
icehorse - 14 July 2021 04:28 PM
Jefe - 14 July 2021 04:15 PM
icehorse - 14 July 2021 04:02 PM

and.. given that we’re on a forum devoted to critical thinking, and with a large helping of cynicism we could conclude that:

Covid targets the credulous.

(Could Gaia be that smart?)

Covid targets everyone. 
The credulous can be manipulated into allowing it to get to them (and, consequently, those close to them…)
Credulity is an enemy of reason and critical thinking.

right, so a little logical leap here (fanciful for sure), that somehow covid is “aware” or is designed so that the credulous will ignore calls to be vaccinated. Of course I don’t really believe this, but we are observing that the credulous are putting themselves in harms way. So one end result is that covid will - in fact - cull the credulous more than it culls the critical thinkers. Put another way, the credulous are earning Darwin awards at a faster pace smile

Fanciful indeed, re Covid ‘awareness’.

I re-submit that only in a (first) world made (relatively) safe by vaccines could anti-vax sentiments gain such traction.

ironic indeed. (from the “bite the hand that feeds you” dept.)

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10774
Joined  20-10-2006

15 July 2021 21:17

I’m with Mr Ron.  If Trump told them to get vaccinated, then they would, but they are against science because the Democrats are for it.  The stupidity of being anti-vax for a political reason is staggering, but if that is the hill they want to die on. . .

Image Attachments

fox-news-cult-58b8f7445f9b58af5cb73549.jpg

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8279
Joined  15-02-2007

20 July 2021 07:18

http://arstechnica.com/science/2021/07/pandemic-of-unvaccinated-rages-with-deltas-spread-cases-up-in-all-50-states/

In these places and elsewhere across the country, the vast majority of those hospitalized with COVID-19 are unvaccinated. In a White House press briefing last Friday, Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reiterated that more than 97 percent of COVID-19 patients entering hospitals nationwide are unvaccinated.

Along with the low vaccination rates, the spread of the delta coronavirus variant is behind the bleak surges. Delta is estimated to be more than twice as infectious as the original pandemic coronavirus strain. Since it was first detected in India in December 2020, it has become the most dominant variant in the world. And since it was first detected in the US in March, it has become the dominant strain here, quickly overtaking alpha (B.1.1.7). Helping the hyper-transmissible variant spread is the fact that it arrived just as many people in US began letting their guard down, easing mask use and physical distancing.

Anti-vax rhetoric can get people killed.  But nary a consequence for those who broadcast it.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22633
Joined  11-03-2007

20 July 2021 07:56

So we have an easy fix (a free vaccine) to a serious problem (a disease that is killing hundreds of thousands). It is not often that a serious problem has such a clear and easy remedy in the modern world. We can’t solve climate change, war, racism, or poverty, but we can solve this one. Yet half the population rejects it. This will go down as one of the stupidest chapters in American history, and we have already had some doozies.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2230
Joined  31-10-2015

20 July 2021 08:48

EN - 20 July 2021 07:56 AM

So we have an easy fix (a free vaccine) to a serious problem (a disease that is killing hundreds of thousands). It is not often that a serious problem has such a clear and easy remedy in the modern world. We can’t solve climate change, war, racism, or poverty, but we can solve this one. Yet half the population rejects it. This will go down as one of the stupidest chapters in American history, and we have already had some doozies.

Then let’s allow the unvaccinated experience covid. (I mean no disrespect to those who have a medical exemption.) How is that even controversial? I’ve had covid and it amounted to the mildest cold I’d ever had, and I’m 66.

Millions of people have already had a case and are therefore immune to varying degrees. Almost as many people have been vaccinated. Can’t we quit worrying and just get back to business?

Does that actually describe stupidity? This is a disease that will be with us basically forever, according to the docs. We might as well not just quite living, right?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22633
Joined  11-03-2007

20 July 2021 09:01

nonverbal - 20 July 2021 08:48 AM

Then let’s allow the unvaccinated experience covid. (I mean no disrespect to those who have a medical exemption.) How is that even controversial? I’ve had covid and it amounted to the mildest cold I’d ever had, and I’m 66.

Millions of people have already had a case and are therefore immune to varying degrees. Almost as many people have been vaccinated. Can’t we quit worrying and just get back to business?

Does that actually describe stupidity? This is a disease that will be with us basically forever, according to the docs. We might as well not just quite living, right?

1. The spike in unvaccinated people with the disease coming to the ER is already overwhelming some medical facilities in hard-hit states. So, they aren’t the only ones experiencing Covid - they are forcing medical personnel to experience it, too.

2. The vaccine is not 100% effective, as no vaccine is. So, the large numbers of unvaccinated people make it more likely that vaccinated people will get it.  So, the unvaccinated again are not the only ones experiencing it.

3. You, fortunately, had a mild case. That is not everyone’s experience. 20 and 30 year-olds are dying from the Delta variant.

4. The lack of vaccinated people means the virus hangs around longer and evolves into more dangerous variants. So, the unvaccinated again are causing others to experience it.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 July 2021 09:41

EN - 20 July 2021 09:01 AM
nonverbal - 20 July 2021 08:48 AM

1. The spike in unvaccinated people with the disease coming to the ER is already overwhelming some medical facilities in hard-hit states. So, they aren’t the only ones experiencing Covid - they are forcing medical personnel to experience it, too.

2. The vaccine is not 100% effective, as no vaccine is. So, the large numbers of unvaccinated people make it more likely that vaccinated people will get it.  So, the unvaccinated again are not the only ones experiencing it.

3. You, fortunately, had a mild case. That is not everyone’s experience. 20 and 30 year-olds are dying from the Delta variant.

4. The lack of vaccinated people means the virus hangs around longer and evolves into more dangerous variants. So, the unvaccinated again are causing others to experience it.

I’m far more worried about getting tetanus than getting covid again even though I haven’t been vaccinated.

Regarding #1 above, not to repeat myself too much, but why not let the unvaccinated people die if that’s what ends up happening? Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one, so who are you protecting?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6931
Joined  22-02-2005

20 July 2021 09:53

nonverbal - 20 July 2021 09:41 AM

...why not let the unvaccinated people die if that’s what ends up happening? Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one, so who are you protecting?

misguided loved ones. Folks we hope better for. Let them die?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 July 2021 09:56

Nhoj Morley - 20 July 2021 09:53 AM

...why not let the unvaccinated people die if that’s what ends up happening? Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one, so who are you protecting?

misguided loved ones. Folks we hope better for. Let them die?

Almost no young people die of covid unless they simultaneously die of a serious illness such as cancer. Older people who are not intellectually disabled are free either to seclude themselves if they react poorly to vaccines, or take the vaccine. The truly mentally handicapped get taken care of by their conservators.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

20 July 2021 09:58

I’m far more worried about getting tetanus than getting covid again even though I haven’t been vaccinated.

That may be because your mild case is affecting your risk assessment in a negative way.
A repeat case, of a different variant might be far tougher on your system, and you could develop ‘long covid’ or ‘long lasting health effects’ that have been seen in other patients. 

Why haven’t you gotten vaccinated?  Are you still caring for differently-abled folks?  If so, how do you justify potentially infecting them?

Regarding #1 above, not to repeat myself too much, but why not let the unvaccinated people die if that’s what ends up happening? Anyone who wants a vaccine can get one, so who are you protecting?

We are protecting each other. And those who are unable to get vaccinated due to compromised immune systems - such as transplant survivors, cancer survivors and others. 

Also important, and overlooked in your response, is concern about variants.  Are you familiar with antibiotic resistant bacteria?
If covid evolves into a vaccine resistant strain (more-so than the Delta variant…) it could become really bad for everyone.
Simple precautions, like as many people getting vaccinated as possible, could help prevent spread, growth, and accompanying evolution of potential new variants.

Also, why should society ‘sacrifice’ the uneducated, unwilling, or propoganda-believing to a disease when such a simple measure can protect many more people?

[ Edited: 20 July 2021 10:00 by Jefe]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 July 2021 10:08

Jefe - 20 July 2021 09:58 AM

That may be because your mild case is affecting your risk assessment in a negative way.
A repeat case, of a different variant might be far tougher on your system, and you could develop ‘long covid’ or ‘long lasting health effects’ that have been seen in other patients. 

Why haven’t you gotten vaccinated?  Are you still caring for differently-abled folks?  If so, how do you justify potentially infecting them?

I got him vaccinated. I have only one resident these days, by the way. Plus, his sister lives with us. She’s also vaccinated.

I haven’t gotten vaccinated out of fear, as I still haven’t fully recovered from the last vaccine I got 14 years ago for tetanus. Meanwhile, I frequently launder my gardening gloves, as I’m out of date for tetanus protection.

Also, I have an i-wave connected to the HV/AC, going 24 hours a day.

[Edited to add i-wave detail.]

[ Edited: 20 July 2021 10:12 by nonverbal]

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

20 July 2021 10:18

nonverbal - 20 July 2021 10:08 AM

I got him vaccinated. I have only one resident these days, by the way. Plus, his sister lives with us. She’s also vaccinated.

Good for them both.  There is still a small chance they can get non-delta covid, and even more chance they can contract the delta-variant.

I haven’t gotten vaccinated out of fear, as I still haven’t fully recovered from the last vaccine I got 14 years ago for tetanus.

Did you have an allergy response to the tetanus vaccine? Have you talked to your doctor about whether a covid vaccine might have a similar effect on you?

Edit: I don’t know how they do it in the US or where you live, but when I got my vaccine I was instructed to wait in the clinic for 15 mins after injection in case an adverse response occurred.  This was to speed up any treatment for such a rare occurence.

Also, I have an i-wave connected to the HV/AC, going 24 hours a day.

[Edited to add i-wave detail.]

Also good, but that only works if you are in-home, and doesn’t much help if you are out and about doing errands and what-not.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 July 2021 10:52

Thanks, Jefe. Please keep in mind that fewer than 2-thousandths of one percent of Americans have died of covid. Yes, I can’t but help realize how awful the disease is for many who get it and survive.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

20 July 2021 11:05

nonverbal - 20 July 2021 10:52 AM

Thanks, Jefe. Please keep in mind that fewer than 2-thousandths of one percent of Americans have died of covid. Yes, I can’t but help realize how awful the disease is for many who get it and survive.

610,000 people in the US have died, and that number is growing.  As a percentage it seems small, but as an actual number it is significant.
For comparison, that’s roughly equivalent to the total US Combat War Casualties of the Civil War, WW1, WW2, and the Viet Nam war combined.  That’s not a trivial number of people who’ve died, even if the percentage seems small.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war

And, this says nothing about how many recovered patients have long-term health effects due to covid. Nor does it say anything about impending deaths due to covid variants of concern.

I mean, you have to find your path, but as a competent adult, you should have some understanding of the fall-out of such decisions, too.

Edited to add Combat War Casualties to clarify the numbers…

[ Edited: 20 July 2021 11:20 by Jefe]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

20 July 2021 11:06

Jefe - 20 July 2021 11:05 AM
nonverbal - 20 July 2021 10:52 AM

610,000 people have died, and that number is growing.  As a percentage it seems small, but as an actual number it is significant.
For comparison, that’s roughly equivalent to the total US War Casualties of the Civil War, WW1, WW2, and the Viet Nam war combined.  That’s not a trivial number of people who’ve died, even if the percentage seems small.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war

And, this says nothing about how many recovered patients have long-term health effects due to covid. Nor does it say anything about impending deaths due to covid variants of concern.

I mean, you have to find your path, but as a competent adult, you should have some understanding of the fall-out of such decisions, too.

We’d all like the world to be a perfect place. I’m happy when it’s anywhere in the vicinity.

< 1 2 3 >