1 2 > 

Cuba

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2210
Joined  31-10-2015

14 July 2021 16:03

We spend hundreds of billions of dollars over several decades attempting to force-feed freedom to people on the other side of the planet who have no use for us, then sit on our hands when demonstrators right in our backyard would appreciate a helping hand. Wasn’t there a Seinfeld that mocked insanely opposite behavior?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8253
Joined  15-02-2007

14 July 2021 16:37

Nevermind that the US turned its back on, and then actively harmed Cuba, for decades…

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10766
Joined  20-10-2006

14 July 2021 23:35

US policy on Cuba makes no sense to me.  China is also a communist oligarchy, yet the US trades billions of dollars with it. Mexico is pretty much a one-party country since about 1911 and the US trades constantly with it.  Obviously there is more to the story than is being told.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

15 July 2021 10:15

Skipshot - 14 July 2021 11:35 PM

US policy on Cuba makes no sense to me.  China is also a communist oligarchy, yet the US trades billions of dollars with it. Mexico is pretty much a one-party country since about 1911 and the US trades constantly with it.  Obviously there is more to the story than is being told.

I guess the Cold War’s not dead yet. The U.S. has had ample opportunity to normalize relations with Cuba over the years without pissing off the Russians/Soviets. Biden’s political instincts must be informing him, and Putin’s his international-relations boss to some extent.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

15 July 2021 10:22

Jefe - 14 July 2021 04:37 PM

Nevermind that the US turned its back on, and then actively harmed Cuba, for decades…

Both Haiti and Cuba used to be super-resorts for the well-heeled in the States, not that they’re similar other than that they used to be our nice-weather playgrounds. You’d think we’d want to restore former pleasantness at almost any cost, if only because they’re so close to us. Meanwhile both states remain poverty-stricken and economically broken. An utter shame.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  19-08-2010

22 July 2021 00:55

I don’t have a stake in this, but similar questions go through my head regularly. Maybe the US is just a little butt-hurt?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4084
Joined  26-03-2013

22 July 2021 07:16

The more they demonize the Cuban regime the less attention on their war crimes at Gitmo.

Capitalist Pigdogs, Ptew!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22616
Joined  11-03-2007

22 July 2021 07:44

It’s easier to mollify a country with McDonald’s and Coke than with embargos.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  19-06-2020

22 July 2021 08:04

EN - 22 July 2021 07:44 AM

It’s easier to mollify a country with McDonald’s and Coke than with embargos.

It seems dependent on the countries economic and military capacity.  Russia and China have both taken on significant elements of capitalism, but have remained totalitarian and expansionist in recent history.  Leaders within both have used the tools of capitalist wealth to further entrench themselves.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  1262
Joined  20-07-2017

22 July 2021 08:27

I thought there was/is a domestic politics slant:  there is a large enough cohort of Cuban exiles and their sympathizers who can be alienated by politicians who want to end the embargo, while there is no strong political downside to maintaining the status quo.  So a smart politician doesn’t rock the boat on this issue.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

22 July 2021 12:14

MARTIN_UK - 22 July 2021 12:55 AM

I don’t have a stake in this, but similar questions go through my head regularly. Maybe the US is just a little butt-hurt?

This seems to be the case on some level, otherwise why would we have acted as we have for so long? Being a few miles away, maybe you can fill in a gap or two for me. Living in the U.S., I’m too close to the forest to see the trees, so to speak. Any thoughts, Martin?

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  19-06-2020

22 July 2021 15:05

A big part of it is the Cuban population in Florida.  They’re extremely opposed with anything to do with the communist government.  Obama tried to do some of what would be good for both countries, but the Cuban-Americans are fighting against it tooth and nail, and they’ve supported Republicans willing to go to bat for them at the federal level.  Since the senate can be ground to a halt very easily, it means they can have a lot of influence on this issue.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

23 July 2021 13:09

Thanks, weird. I’ll take your word for that.

PermieMan

PermieMan
Total Posts:  171
Joined  08-12-2019

26 July 2021 09:13

After the Cuban peoples struggle through the economic disparities and repression of their government while maintaining a clear sense of National Pride the gov. then has the gall to openly choose gentrification (development of their hospitality industry using foreign investment) over the loyalty, health and well-being of the Cuban citizens.  No wonder the revolt happening there for the last couple months.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  19-08-2010

27 July 2021 01:17

nonverbal - 22 July 2021 12:14 PM
MARTIN_UK - 22 July 2021 12:55 AM

This seems to be the case on some level, otherwise why would we have acted as we have for so long? Being a few miles away, maybe you can fill in a gap or two for me. Living in the U.S., I’m too close to the forest to see the trees, so to speak. Any thoughts, Martin?

I know there are many nuances that I’m unaware of, so my view as an outsider is just that, but it is the view seen by some of us not fully informed and from a distance.
I think there has been tit for tat for many decades now, the US flexing their muscles and Cuba calling on their Mother to come and help, probably a natural reaction in the circumstances they were in at the time.
Then we have years of embargo from one side and espionage on both sides which could only sour relations further.
But now I struggle to see the point in carrying this on further, unless of course there are nuances to this story I am missing, which I expect is the case.
What do you think?

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

27 July 2021 08:05

I was 7 when the Cuba Close Call took place and no one had any reason to tell me about it. I do remember Kennedy’s assassination, though, and I remember my dad being impressed with Kennedy’s speech in which he said Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country. (My memory has the events reversed in time. It often disobeys me.) The reason I never heard about Cuba, I suspect, is that it must have been traumatic for all the the grownups. Some traumas stay with an individual for the rest of their life, and some traumas, perhaps, stay with a nation, too. Trauma-induced mental habits, once they become ingrained, can be expected to remain in place or even grow until something else traumatic (even if to a small degree) arrives on the scene to at least start changing things up.

But this is only my wild guess. I’m going on intuition. If I knew more about the history of that era, I’d probably concoct some other hypothesis. I’ve been reading books about the history of Vietnam and Korea lately, and so far, I’ve missed reading about the Cuba Missile Crisis. I’ll see what Amazon has on the subject. Thanks for the bit of inspiration, Martin!

1 2 >