Christianity and White Supremacy (One of the Three Pillars of Trump Support?)

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9943
Joined  20-02-2006

18 July 2021 13:19

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/White-Too-Long/Robert-P-Jones/9781982122874?

White Too Long is not an appeal to altruism. It is “a powerful and much-needed book” (Eddie S. Glaude Jr, professor at Princeton University and author of Begin Again) drawing on lessons gleaned from case studies of communities beginning to face these challenges. Jones argues that contemporary white Christians must confront these unsettling truths because this is the only way to salvage the integrity of their faith and their own identities. More broadly, it is no exaggeration to say that not just the future of white Christianity, but the outcome of the American experiment is at stake.

WHITE TOO LONG
The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity
By Robert P. Jones

“In 1968, James Baldwin wrote in The New York Times: “I will flatly say that the bulk of this country’s white population impresses me, and has so impressed me for a very long time, as being beyond any conceivable hope of moral rehabilitation. They have been white, if I may so put it, too long.” Robert P. Jones, who leads the Public Religion Research Institute, a polling firm focused on the intersection of politics and religion, draws on Baldwin’s quote for the title of his book “White Too Long: The Legacy of White Supremacy in American Christianity.” Jones calls on his fellow white Christians to extricate themselves from what he asserts has defined their religion for too long: the imagined superiority of white people and anti-Black racism as its inevitable corollary.”

If, like me, you haven’t yet read this book - do you notice (like me) how Trump is tapping into Christian white supremacy for support?  Some white supremacists are good people?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22632
Joined  11-03-2007

18 July 2021 18:15

Yes, white Evangelical Christianity, especially, has completely prostituted itself to political forces, thus corrupting itself at its core. Religion and politics are never good companions, but Trump has completely coopted the Evangelical message to the point that he might as well be preaching their sermons. But not all white churches - specifically some mainline denominations - are so situated.  Some of them recognize the dangers of white supremacy and realize the legacy of racism that is being brought back to life by the right, in more force than we have seen it since the 60’s.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8263
Joined  15-02-2007

18 July 2021 18:20

EN - 18 July 2021 06:15 PM

Some of them recognize the dangers of white supremacy and realize the legacy of racism that is being brought back to life by the right, in more force than we have seen it since the 60’s.

With SCOTUS seats recently bought and sold by dark money donations, the passage of state-side voter restriction laws will proceed rapidly, I’m guessing.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10767
Joined  20-10-2006

18 July 2021 23:21

Conservatives love their boogie men because it unites them in their hate.  Does life make sense without their perceived enemies?  How will they know when they have reached social purity?