I ALONE CAN FIX IT

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9937
Joined  20-02-2006

23 July 2021 09:57

MATA - Make America Trump Again

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/21/politics/trump-january-6-loving-crowd-cnntv/index.html

quote from this article:  “And it was a loving crowd, too, by the way,” Trump said in the audio recording taken by Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporters Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker during an interview for their new book, “I Alone Can Fix It.”
“There was a lot of love. I’ve heard that from everybody. Many, many people have told me that was a loving crowd,” the former President added.
Trump’s comments underscore the vast GOP effort to downplay the Capitol riot. In the months since January 6, the former President and Republican lawmakers in both chambers have offered false accounts of the attack that conflict with reams of video evidence, criminal charges filed against participants and law enforcement officials’ testimony.”  (end quote)

Trump is talking about the January 6 Capitol rioters loving Trump more than they love democracy and the U.S. Constitution.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2021/07/20/i-alone-can-fix-it-book-trump-catastrophic-final-year/8024215002/

quote from this article:  Donald Trump boasted that even George Washington — one of the nation’s founding fathers, who routinely scores near the top of historians’ lists of great American presidents — might not have beaten him in an election.

“I Alone Can Fix It,” by Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporters Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker Trump brags to them about his pre-pandemic presidency, “I think it would be hard if George Washington came back from the dead, and he chose Abraham Lincoln as his vice president, I think it would have been very hard for them to beat me.”

The braggadocio is par for the course from Trump in “I Alone,” the latest recent release to pull back the curtains on Trump’s disastrous fourth year in office and the second book about that administration from the Washington Post duo.”  (end quote)

Trump says he could beat George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.  Who’s next for him to be greater than?  Jesus Christ? 

https://www.amazon.com/Alone-Can-Fix-Donald-Catastrophic/dp/0593298942

Question:  Who is it, or what is it, that loves Trump?  https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/the-cruelty-is-the-point/572104/

quote from a review of ‘The Cruelty is the Point’.  “While deeply engaged with the moment, Serwer’s writing is also haunted by ghosts of an unresolved American past, a past that torments the present. In bracing new essays and previously published works, he explores white nationalism, myths about migration, the political power of police unions, and the many faces of anti-Semitism. For all the dynamics he examines, cruelty is the glue, the binding agent of a movement fueled by fear and exclusion. Serwer argues that rather than pretending these four years didn’t happen or dismissing them as a brief moment of madness, we must face what made them possible. Without acknowledging and confronting these toxic legacies, the fragile dream of American multiracial democracy will remain vulnerable to another ambitious demagogue.”

[ Edited: 23 July 2021 10:12 by unsmoked]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10766
Joined  20-10-2006

23 July 2021 12:23

Good points.  Many dictators of the 20th century came to power through the democratic process, then suspended democracy and took complete power, and Trump is following that process.  Fortunately, the majority of American voters recognized/s Trump’s attempt to seize absolute power and voted him out, but as we saw on January 6th, his base is more interested in Trump as dictator than the American democratic republic. 

And this is isn’t over over.  The Republican Party at the highest levels is holding onto the lie about rigged elections, and the next Trump wanna-be is in the offing.  The Republican Party has evolved into the pro-dictator party.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  19-06-2020

23 July 2021 13:58

In addition, many republican controlled state legislatures are now passing laws that will allow them to overturn any election results.  The suspension of democracy is happening at the state level, and the federal government is currently paralyzed from stopping it.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8253
Joined  15-02-2007

23 July 2021 14:38

weird buffalo - 23 July 2021 01:58 PM

In addition, many republican controlled state legislatures are now passing laws that will allow them to overturn any election results.  The suspension of democracy is happening at the state level, and the federal government is currently paralyzed from stopping it.

...funded by dark money, with vested interests (and investments) in GOP election wins.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22613
Joined  11-03-2007

23 July 2021 18:07

My wife bought the book.  She likes it.  Shows what an asshat he is.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

24 July 2021 11:01

Jefe - 23 July 2021 02:38 PM

...funded by dark money, with vested interests (and investments) in GOP election wins.

Last year I watched a clip in which a reporter interviewed Red Hats outside a Trump rally.  (Arena was full - they were outside watching live broadcast).  Reporter said to a woman, “So what you’re saying is that unless Trump wins the election is rigged?”

“Yes,” she said.  “Trump can’t lose a fair election.”  Why would she say such a thing?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZziUrEvl7A

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8253
Joined  15-02-2007

24 July 2021 11:20

unsmoked - 24 July 2021 11:01 AM
Jefe - 23 July 2021 02:38 PM

Last year I watched a clip in which a reporter interviewed Red Hats outside a Trump rally.  (Arena was full - they were outside watching live broadcast).  Reporter said to a woman, “So what you’re saying is that unless Trump wins the election is rigged?”

“Yes,” she said.  “Trump can’t lose a fair election.”  Why would she say such a thing?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZziUrEvl7A

Combinations of cult mentality, ‘everyone-thinks-like-me’ syndrome, and ‘wealth-as-virtue/poverty-as-indicator-of-vice’ fallacy.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  19-06-2020

24 July 2021 19:27

It was also a line he’d been repeating for months at that point.  When people like the president, the authority of office is often sufficient reason for them to assume that it is true.  Since she was a Trump supporter, and Trump said it as president… then she believed it had to be true.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2447
Joined  14-08-2008

25 July 2021 06:00

It amazes me that people could insist that there’s no way an impeached, scandal-ridden, popular vote losing, lowest approval rated President in history, who was trailing in the polls for months, could lose an election during a pandemic. Trump losing was the most logical outcome ever. Imagine the mental gymnastics required to adopt the “there’s no way he could lose” mindset. But then again, the easy justification for his supporters is to simply reject all of the above as “fake news.” I consider Trumpism to be a marvel of mass brainwashing. Never before has so many people been led so far astray from reality by so obvious a con man.       

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 July 2021 12:25

MrRon - 25 July 2021 06:00 AM

It amazes me that people could insist that there’s no way an impeached, scandal-ridden, popular vote losing, lowest approval rated President in history, who was trailing in the polls for months, could lose an election during a pandemic. Trump losing was the most logical outcome ever. Imagine the mental gymnastics required to adopt the “there’s no way he could lose” mindset. But then again, the easy justification for his supporters is to simply reject all of the above as “fake news.” I consider Trumpism to be a marvel of mass brainwashing. Never before has so many people been led so far astray from reality by so obvious a con man.

At least, not since Joseph Smith and his golden plates.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_plates

Speaking of marvels of mass brainwashing, think of the con men who get a billion people today to believe that a preacher who had been dead for 3 days walked out of his tomb and frightened his friends.  (See topic in Politics category about conspiracy theories and their consequences).