1 2 3 >  Last ›

No sympathy for anti-vaxxers dying of COVID

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10772
Joined  20-10-2006

26 July 2021 20:24

News reports daily repeat that 97% of COVID cases are the unvaccinated.  Of those who cannot be vaccinated for a legitimate medical reason although they would prefer to be vaccinated have my sympathy, but the dill weeds who politicize science because their favorite politician or media host tells his/her audience that COVID is a hoax and the vaccine is unproven and very likely dangerous have earned my scorn.  I would prefer to shake my head and click my tongue at the dill weeds, but I cannot even muster that for the stupidity based on fear, lies, cruelty, and downright contrarianism.

Every time I read another story of a woman from Alabama whose unvaccinated son died of COVID and she is still suffering the effects of her own COVID infection and is now a believer that COVID is real, I would rather she suffer more.  I am not proud or happy about this feeling, and wish to be charitable, but I cannot reconcile the damage anti-vaxxers do with their repentance.  Until recently, the entire human population was living in a world without a vaccine to a deadly disease and the anti-vaxxers persist that this is the best way to live.  Strangely, anti-vax before the pandemic were people who believe vaccines themselves are worse than the disease, but they still believed in deadly diseases, but the latest strain of anti-vax denies the existence of a deadly disease, at least until it directly affects them, and society would be a lot better off without that level of stupidity.

Science is not a belief!!  It is knowledge!  Science’s agenda is to protect all of us, and it is the polar opposite of conspiracy theories pulled out of the asses of people who make their living convincing us to do the opposite of science.

[ Edited: 27 July 2021 14:09 by Skipshot]

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8267
Joined  15-02-2007

27 July 2021 08:13

Not masking and not vaccinating is a sure way to see more safety measures return to public spaces, and possibly more business closures.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1927
Joined  01-11-2014

28 July 2021 13:24

There was an interesting piece on CNN about a Western Arkansas nurse named Sunny, who is getting verbal abuse from family members of relatives who have contracted Covid, and that are under her care. The relatives say Covid is not real and have even accused her of purposely killing patients so Covid death numbers can be artificially inflated. She decided to fight back on social media. You can imagine how that went.

Perhaps the most shocking thing about this news segment, was an interview of a mother whose 8 year old son had contracted a severe case of Covid-19 and was not getting better. Her answers are chilling.

I don’t think there is anything that will ever convince these people to get vaccinated. Trying to do so is, as Representative Barney Frank once said, “...like talking to a dining room table.”

diding

diding
Total Posts:  681
Joined  07-01-2016

11 August 2021 16:59

Two of the largest groups of the unvaccinated are blacks and Latinos. 

How could demanding proof of vax to go to work, ride the train, or go to a restaurant not be seen as an attack; a racist act of discrimination on those groups?  Any policy that unequally affects blacks or browns is racist. I read my Kendi, the whole sloppy book.  Seems like a pickle…..

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10772
Joined  20-10-2006

11 August 2021 19:13

diding - 11 August 2021 04:59 PM

Got sources for that claim?

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  2447
Joined  14-08-2008

12 August 2021 06:28

Do you know why minorities are historically opposed to vaccinations? (hint… racism against minorities played a big role)

How could demanding proof of vax to go to work, ride the train, or go to a restaurant not be seen as an attack; a racist act of discrimination on those groups?  Any policy that unequally affects blacks or browns is racist. I read my Kendi, the whole sloppy book.  Seems like a pickle…..

Whites make up about 70% of the U.S. population, and consequently in sheer numbers, more whites than blacks or latinos are unvaccinated. And therefore they are more (positively or negatively) impacted by vax rules than any other group. To construe current life-saving vax requirements as a racist act of discrimination against minorities is utterly ridiculous.

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

12 August 2021 07:20

Skipshot - 11 August 2021 07:13 PM

Got sources for that claim?

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/

“While White adults account for the largest share (57%) of unvaccinated adults, Black and Hispanic people remain less likely than their White counterparts to have received a vaccine,”

also:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-07-16/why-many-black-hispanic-americans-distrust-covid-vaccines

also:

Just google it

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=blacks+and+latinos+are+not+getting+vaccines&atb=v285-7bc&ia=web

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

12 August 2021 07:33

MrRon - 12 August 2021 06:28 AM

Do you know why minorities are historically opposed to vaccinations? (hint… racism against minorities played a big role)

Whites make up about 70% of the U.S. population, and consequently in sheer numbers, more whites than blacks or latinos are unvaccinated. And therefore they are more (positively or negatively) impacted by vax rules than any other group. To construe current life-saving vax requirements as a racist act of discrimination against minorities is utterly ridiculous.

I asked some black friends (most of whom are vaxxed) why so many blacks aren’t getting vaccinated and they said they’re being told by community leaders like clergymen that the vaccine is a weapon to commit genocide against them. They said they’re being told that the virus itself is a weapon to kill black people.  They said that they’re being told that white people get the good jab and that black people are getting an experiment. I also heard a black female doctor on NPR say that the “One and done” campaign used African American parlance to target the black community and trick them into getting an inferior medicine.  They tell me that many times the “Tuskegee Experiment” is referenced by pastors and elders but only 1 of the 10 people I asked knew any details of the experiment.

Any policy that disproportionately affects a minority group is inequitable and therefore racist (Kendi).  A vaxport will disproportionately affect blacks and browns so it’s racist.

Rick Robson

Rick Robson
Total Posts:  119
Joined  22-09-2017

12 August 2021 07:53

Discrimination against minorities is not an exclusivity of the “first-world” countries, it’s also a historical “macula” of all humanity. And I dare say my country (Brasil) is one of the most disgusting instances of how much worse is the concealing of the discrimination against our our own genetic origins, as the vast majority of our population carry in our bloods any grade of either black descendance or native descendance or both ones.

But what really brought about my decision to post here is the incredible general indifference with the threats being presented by every COVID-19 variation that becomes prominent. I just can’t wrap my head around the general dismiss of the scientifically proved fact that as far as these variants keep coming along the less effective today’s vaccines will become. And don’t get me wrong, both the unvaccinated AND the vaccinated are always potential vectors of transmission of this virus. So, if the unvaccinated don’t want to be vaccinated then their supposed “liberty” stops when they’re spoiling the right of those who don’t want to be infected with the next upcoming virus’ variations. Finally, those vaccinated who think there’s no sense in establishing mandatory mask wearing for them are ignorant with respect to the scentific researches that led to this decision. I hope these people realise that the epidemic longevity is just and only in our hands, but liberty without responsibility will gat us nowhere.

[ Edited: 12 August 2021 07:57 by Rick Robson]

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

12 August 2021 10:50

I just got back from my doc’s office.  I had blood drawn to test for Covid antibodies.  My Dr. asked me why I haven’t been vaccinated.  I reminded him that I tested positive for antibodies in November and if I have them now that either my initial immune response is still working or I have been re-exposed without knowing it.  Either way I have antibodies, so why would I need to be vaccinated.  He said “Hmm. Good question”.  Damn… I really liked him as my doctor.

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

12 August 2021 16:02

diding - 12 August 2021 07:33 AM

I asked some black friends (most of whom are vaxxed) why so many blacks aren’t getting vaccinated and they said they’re being told by community leaders like clergymen that the vaccine is a weapon to commit genocide against them. They said they’re being told that the virus itself is a weapon to kill black people.  They said that they’re being told that white people get the good jab and that black people are getting an experiment. I also heard a black female doctor on NPR say that the “One and done” campaign used African American parlance to target the black community and trick them into getting an inferior medicine.  They tell me that many times the “Tuskegee Experiment” is referenced by pastors and elders but only 1 of the 10 people I asked knew any details of the experiment.

So what’s your point? Do you deny that things like the Tuskegee experiments really happened? Do you understand how that sad chapter in our history inevitably led to decades of distrust by blacks towards the medical establishment? However, today there is a concerted effort (I see the PSAs all the time) to reassure blacks that it is in their own best interest to get vaccinated for covid. 

Any policy that disproportionately affects a minority group is inequitable and therefore racist (Kendi).  A vaxport will disproportionately affect blacks and browns so it’s racist.

Kendi is a red herring to this discussion. Do YOU think that vaccine requirements are racist?   

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

12 August 2021 18:26

MrRon - 12 August 2021 04:02 PM

So what’s your point? Do you deny that things like the Tuskegee experiments really happened? Do you understand how that sad chapter in our history inevitably led to decades of distrust by blacks towards the medical establishment? However, today there is a concerted effort (I see the PSAs all the time) to reassure blacks that it is in their own best interest to get vaccinated for covid. 

Kendi is a red herring to this discussion. Do YOU think that vaccine requirements are racist?   

“Do you deny that things like the Tuskegee experiments really happened?”

How would you get that from anything I said?

“Do you understand how that sad chapter in our history inevitably led to decades of distrust by blacks towards the medical establishment?”

I also have a big distrusts of the medical industrial complex, the insurance scam, and Big Pharma. 

Kendi is only a red herring if you believe his thinking is false.  If you think he makes a good point and you adopt his ideas as your own, then you have to analyze this issue through that lens.  I think a vaxport could be racist.  Like most people do, I will agree with him when it suits my purposes.

I also think a vaxport might be classist.

[ Edited: 12 August 2021 18:42 by diding]

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1920
Joined  19-06-2020

12 August 2021 20:08

The vaccine is free and available to all people without question over the age of 12.

I could see if maybe the vaccine had been available for tuesday in April.  But there are places open 7 days a week for many, many hours.  Wait times for vaccines usually isn’t too long, especially since many people are given time slots to reduce waiting.  The only hurdle is travel times.

[ Edited: 12 August 2021 20:10 by weird buffalo]

diding

diding
Joined  07-01-2016

13 August 2021 07:19

weird buffalo - 12 August 2021 08:08 PM

The vaccine is free and available to all people without question over the age of 12.

I could see if maybe the vaccine had been available for tuesday in April.  But there are places open 7 days a week for many, many hours.  Wait times for vaccines usually isn’t too long, especially since many people are given time slots to reduce waiting.  The only hurdle is travel times.

Do they require a photo ID?

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1920
Joined  19-06-2020

13 August 2021 08:36

diding - 13 August 2021 07:19 AM
weird buffalo - 12 August 2021 08:08 PM

Do they require a photo ID?

I’m sure some places have other requirements, but per CDC rules currently, you do not.

MrRon

MrRon
Joined  14-08-2008

13 August 2021 14:10

diding - 12 August 2021 06:26 PM
MrRon - 12 August 2021 04:02 PM

“Do you deny that things like the Tuskegee experiments really happened?”

How would you get that from anything I said?

Uh…. you’re the one who brought up the Tuskegee experiments, not me. And I’m just trying to understand what your point was.

“Do you understand how that sad chapter in our history inevitably led to decades of distrust by blacks towards the medical establishment?”

I also have a big distrusts of the medical industrial complex, the insurance scam, and Big Pharma.

When I ask a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question answering with “I also have…” is an inadequate answer and indicates evasiveness. 

Kendi is only a red herring if you believe his thinking is false.  If you think he makes a good point and you adopt his ideas as your own, then you have to analyze this issue through that lens.  I think a vaxport could be racist.  Like most people do, I will agree with him when it suits my purposes.

I also think a vaxport might be classist.

Thanks for letting us know how principled you are.

1 2 3 >  Last ›