#257- The State of the World A Conversation with Dambisa Moyo

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6952
Joined  22-02-2005

16 August 2021 14:12

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Dambisa Moyo about the state of the world. They discuss public goods, economic growth, capitalism, American economic history, bad public-policy choices, inequality, tax avoidance among the wealthy, government inefficiency, the problems with democracy, the breakdown of trust in institutions, failures of transparency, voter participation, future automation and unemployment, identity politics, the reality of racism in America, the problems with affirmative action, competition with China, and other topics.

#257- The State of the World A Conversation with Dambisa Moyo

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4114
Joined  26-03-2013

17 August 2021 11:24

Excellent podcast.  There is something valuable in listening to the way Sam hears what she is saying about race.  There is an acknowledgement of her words and an understanding of their meaning.  There is respect for her opinion based on the logic of her conclusions.  It’s hard to argue.

And yet each time she stopped talking and it was his turn to speak he reverted back to the combative stance of a privileged academic unwilling to yield.  You can almost hear the sound of gears grinding.  This is a fairly common trait I’m sure folks aren’t even aware they’re doing.

PermieMan

PermieMan
Total Posts:  171
Joined  08-12-2019

25 August 2021 18:02

Liked this episode more than I had anticipated being that the guest is a mainstream economist that values ‘growing the economy’.  However, I’d like argue that the real cutting edge of the economy in an era of climate change is found in ‘degrowth econonmics’ at least in terms of the decades to come.  Where the basis of the economy is to thrive toward a higher quality of life rather than growing the economy in terms of the GDP’s of countries. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omcUaD8pxaY

https://www.amazon.com/Case-Degrowth-Giorgos-Kallis/dp/1509535632/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=degrowth&qid=1629939562&s=books&sr=1-1