Is ignorance actually bliss?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22653
Joined  11-03-2007

25 August 2021 17:31

400 years ago most people lived and died without knowing a lot about what was happening beyond a few miles away. Today we are aware of all the crises that exist in the entire world - immediately. Does this knowledge actually benefit me in anyway?  I cannot do much about what is happening in Afghanistan, Haiti, or Xinjiang. Yes, I can vote and give a few dollars to this and that. But is my vastly expanded knowledge about the state of the world benefitting me in any way?  I am no happier or fulfilled knowing about all the shit that happens.  It depresses me and makes me angry. I sometimes wonder if I just lived like Thoreau if I wouldn’t be happier. But then, the world would probably hunt me down and demand that I respond to it. But for a while, at least, I might find a bit of peace.

I often think of buying a small trailer and living in the desert around Terlingua. My wife would not allow it, but that doesn’t prevent me from dreaming. No connection with the outside world, unaware of all the devastation. If and when destruction came, it would be sudden and I wouldn’t have spent a lot of time worrying about it. Ignorance would be bliss.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2254
Joined  31-10-2015

25 August 2021 18:24

Port Protection is too cold?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22653
Joined  11-03-2007

25 August 2021 18:46

I’ll stay in Texas, where i speak the language.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9952
Joined  20-02-2006

26 August 2021 11:27

Not if you lived in Paradise, CA and didn’t hear the evacuation orders.  For most, it’s blissful not to know the consequences of burning coal and oil.  FUN!  Ignorance is bliss!

Notice that many new car ads show new cars being abused and driven dangerously.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-04/want-safer-streets-start-regulating-car-commercials

Traffic Crashes Are Getting Worse. Car Ads Are Part Of the Problem.
What if car companies were banned from boasting their trucks can “conquer,” “intimidate” and “thrill”?

A few months ago, Dodge posted a tweet: “Fill in the blank. More horsepower means more _____.”

The U.S. Twitterverse immediately responded with the reality of living in a country where traffic crashes kill nearly 40,000 and injure over four million people every year.

“More horsepower means more dead kids.”

“More horsepower means more dead pedestrians.”

“More horsepower means more dead cyclists.”

Dodge removed the tweet. But bragging about horsepower was not a one-off error of judgment. Rather, marketing speed, power and reckless driving as a selling point for cars is part of a longstanding advertising tradition for automakers who, in 2018, spent more than $35 billion on advertising.

[ Edited: 26 August 2021 11:35 by unsmoked]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1941
Joined  01-11-2014

26 August 2021 12:31

I’ve had a similar fantasy — buy a new, small, RV, probably a Winnebago. Pare down all my belongings to only the essentials and get rid of the rest or put it in storage. Less is more. Move in. Travel to wherever I damn well please. See the country. Put peace of mind first. Drop out.

Like you, EN, this dream doesn’t include my wife; she would hate it after a short while, no doubt. But I still dream.

I’ve often thought that the time span of my life may be the best time to have ever lived. Countless generations have slaved, struggled and bled to give us the advanced civilization we have. I was lucky enough to have been born at the pinnacle of it — like being on a roller coaster ride that has come to the highest point, and is now beginning its steep descent. I give thanks to all who brought us here.

None of this would have been possible without science. I am constantly marveling at the discoveries of science. When you get to outer limits of what is known scientifically, the Cosmos is revealed to be an utterly fantastic and mysterious place — more mind-bogglingly vast, stranger and more unbelievable than any religious myth. I use the sense of awe and wonder that I get from science to feed my spirituality. All things are interconnected, and I am part of it all. This is perhaps the greatest gift living at this time has imparted: The nature of the Cosmos and Humankind’s place in it. It is both frightening and liberating.

Of course, as Dickens wrote: “It was the best of times, and it was the worst of times.” The flip side of the coin, the ugly downside to our civilized world, is that we are killing the intricate biological web that supports life on this planet. We are heading toward a Sixth Mass Extinction. Democracies are declining, pseudo-fascism is on the rise. The oligarchic one percent seem to own our world and most governments. We are under unending surveillance. America is inching toward civil war. Although we live more abundant, healthy and safer lives than humans have ever experienced before, anxiety, addiction, suicide and depression are rising. People seek escape and distraction in their electronic devices, especially smartphones. These devices only seem to alienate and enslave them more.

I’d Love to Change the World, but I don’t know what to do.

Perhaps claiming your own peace of mind and sanity is enough?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10836
Joined  20-10-2006

26 August 2021 13:37

Tuning out doesn’t require being a hermit, all you need is apathy.

In my travels as a younger man, I was in a Cape Town hostel where I met an American in his late 50’s who was from Berkeley, CA. His story was that his kids had grown and his wife died, so he decided to sail the world.  He took some sailing lessons, sold his house, then crewed from boat to boat as he meandered around the world.  Similar to a hermit with the added benefit of adventure.

I don’t blame you, EN.  I think boredom would do me in.