< 1 2 3 > 

Recent notification

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8402
Joined  15-02-2007

04 September 2021 08:18

It is quite possible that it is keeping some posters from logging in and/or commenting.
I suspect it’s not the highest priority for the Sam Harris site team…

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2254
Joined  31-10-2015

04 September 2021 08:49

Jefe - 04 September 2021 08:18 AM

It is quite possible that it is keeping some posters from logging in and/or commenting.
I suspect it’s not the highest priority for the Sam Harris site team…

Entropy often takes its time.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6975
Joined  22-02-2005

05 September 2021 05:37

The word from upstairs is…

The security issue will not be resolved. Maintenance will not be done. Mere Admins do not have access to the inner workings here. None of us were upgraded to Super Admins before the Harris Ubers evacuated the base. We were left behind without the means of maintaining security   certificates.

We have all observed the increasing loss of functionality. Notification emails have stopped. Apparently, we can no longer take in new members. The last was early in June.

No one in the entire Uber Pantheon has any idea where the forum is hosted or how any damn can be given.

Karl suggest that we visit reddit/samharris instead. Who wants to post like a refugee with today’s anti-immigration fervor? There are ways around this problem (as many patrons have discovered) and the risk seems minimal.

It is uplifting to see so many patrons braving the murky waters of unsecured certification.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3877
Joined  21-10-2016

05 September 2021 07:05

Nhoj Morley - 05 September 2021 05:37 AM

The security issue will not be resolved. Maintenance will not be done. Mere Admins do not have access to the inner workings here. None of us were upgraded to Super Admins before the Harris Ubers evacuated the base. We were left behind without the means of maintaining security   certificates.

We have all observed the increasing loss of functionality. Notification emails have stopped. Apparently, we can no longer take in new members. The last was early in June.

No one in the entire Uber Pantheon has any idea where the forum is hosted or how any damn can be given.

Karl suggest that we visit reddit/samharris instead. Who wants to post like a refugee with today’s anti-immigration fervor? There are ways around this problem (as many patrons have discovered) and the risk seems minimal.

It is uplifting to see so many patrons braving the murky waters of unsecured certification.

This is VERY disappointing.  I hardly know what to say.

So, we may have lost contact with some current friends due to difficulties logging on, and have lost the prospect of making new friends here.

I’m quite sad about this.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8402
Joined  15-02-2007

05 September 2021 07:18

Jan_CAN - 05 September 2021 07:05 AM

So, we may have lost contact with some current friends due to difficulties logging on, and have lost the prospect of making new friends here.

Illustrates the forum’s lack of import to the sam harris org…

[ Edited: 05 September 2021 07:22 by Jefe]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 September 2021 07:35

Jefe - 05 September 2021 07:18 AM
Jan_CAN - 05 September 2021 07:05 AM

Illustrates the forum’s lack of import to the sam harris org…

Yeah, but the link to the forum no longer appears on Sam Harris’ homepage which seems to me to be enough of a dissociation; he doesn’t have to potentially cut us off from each other or prevent us from meeting others.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9952
Joined  20-02-2006

05 September 2021 12:00

We’re like Moses floating down the Nile in a basket without a Pharaoh’s daughter to find us.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jochebed

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1941
Joined  01-11-2014

05 September 2021 13:16

Let’s see:
The west coast is burning.
The east coast is flooded.
Global warming is accelerating unchecked.
The Corona virus is picking up steam and raging through the nation and the world.
Republican Christian Fascists are trying to wrest control of America, and succeeding.
And now this simple little diversion, the Sam Harris Forum, is slowly disintegrating.

I’m feeling a little Withnail lately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WnNL67PEKU

[ Edited: 05 September 2021 13:54 by Cheshire Cat]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  10836
Joined  20-10-2006

05 September 2021 15:46

With help from EN I made it back (should I have taken the hint?).  If what Nhoj reported from the ubers is so, I suppose we’re on our own now.  We’ve migrated before and migrated back, and it looks like we’re being nudged out again.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

05 September 2021 17:47

Skipshot - 05 September 2021 03:46 PM

If what Nhoj reported from the ubers is so, I suppose we’re on our own now.

It has been so for some time. The forum was built 16 years ago using ancient and outdated web formats. The Harris Organization has moved on to new systems that cannot host this old saloon. The forum has been bounced around to different web design folks but none of them are currently involved. I checked with all of them.

I am not certain about whether new members are possible. Someone can try it. I have trouble logging in.

There is a power strip somewhere that sustains us.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

05 September 2021 19:47

Nhoj Morley - 05 September 2021 05:47 PM
Skipshot - 05 September 2021 03:46 PM

If what Nhoj reported from the ubers is so, I suppose we’re on our own now.

It has been so for some time. The forum was built 16 years ago using ancient and outdated web formats. The Harris Organization has moved on to new systems that cannot host this old saloon. The forum has been bounced around to different web design folks but none of them are currently involved. I checked with all of them.

I am not certain about whether new members are possible. Someone can try it. I have trouble logging in.

There is a power strip somewhere that sustains us.

I tried to join up under another name (Jan2_TEST).  All seemed okay until I tried to logon using that name, but received the message:  The following errors were encountered - Your membership account has not been activated yet.

Nhoj, I remember a while back when there were problems here you were collecting some of our e-mail addresses.  Would it be possible for you to contact these members to let them know what’s going on and that we’re still here?  Skipshot’s post (#24) in which he mentioned help from EN made me think of this.

Just a thought.  Thanks. 

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  5183
Joined  19-08-2010

05 September 2021 20:30

Ain’t that a kick in the head.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  9952
Joined  20-02-2006

06 September 2021 09:16

Is there no Carpathia within range to see our flares?  To hear our SOS?  What was it anyway?  Iceberg?  Rock?  Torpedo?  Sabotage?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Carpathia

[ Edited: 07 September 2021 11:07 by unsmoked]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

06 September 2021 22:37

Jan_CAN - 05 September 2021 07:47 PM

I tried to join up under another name (Jan2_TEST).  All seemed okay until I tried to logon using that name, but received the message:  The following errors were encountered - Your membership account has not been activated yet.

Nhoj, I remember a while back when there were problems here you were collecting some of our e-mail addresses.  Would it be possible for you to contact these members to let them know what’s going on and that we’re still here?

My address collection is meager and mostly includes the current active patrons.

Activating a new member is something a super-admin can do. I wonder who activated Mr. Bowyerz or Mr. Avery?”

If an another version of this forum were whipped up, maybe with a name like The Project Reason Forum, would folks want to participate there? I have the means to do that. Would it pan out?

Should there be any further developments or problems like difficulty logging in or a 404 message, patrons can find relevant announcements on my main page at nhojmorley.com.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

07 September 2021 09:44

Nhoj Morley - 06 September 2021 10:37 PM
Jan_CAN - 05 September 2021 07:47 PM

Nhoj, I remember a while back when there were problems here you were collecting some of our e-mail addresses.  Would it be possible for you to contact these members to let them know what’s going on and that we’re still here?

My address collection is meager and mostly includes the current active patrons.

Activating a new member is something a super-admin can do. I wonder who activated Mr. Bowyerz or Mr. Avery?”

If an another version of this forum were whipped up, maybe with a name like The Project Reason Forum, would folks want to participate there? I have the means to do that. Would it pan out?

Should there be any further developments or problems like difficulty logging in or a 404 message, patrons can find relevant announcements on my main page at nhojmorley.com.

Nhoj, thanks for the info and for your plans to keep us informed via your own website.

Should the SH Forum become completely defunct, I would be interested in another forum like The Project Reason Forum in order to keep in contact with the members here.

< 1 2 3 >