< 1 2 3 > 

Black Men Are Primates

burt

burt
Total Posts:  16399
Joined  17-12-2006

08 September 2021 08:33

EN - 07 September 2021 08:23 PM

All meaning is derived from context.  The same statement in one context can have a different meaning in another. That is how primates communicate.

And, as Robert Anton Wilson was fond of point out in his Schrodinger’s Cat trilogy (well worth reading, if only for the final sentence), primates throw shit at each other when they disagree.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  7436
Joined  08-12-2006

08 September 2021 08:45

weird buffalo - 07 September 2021 09:21 AM
Antisocialdarwinist - 07 September 2021 07:20 AM
weird buffalo - 07 September 2021 05:09 AM

Are you unaware that calling black people monkeys has a long history as a racial slur?

Here’s an article you can read.  I agree, that all humans are primates.  The problem isn’t in referring to ALL humans as primates.  The problem is when someone specifically targets black people to call them primates (or apes, gorillas, monkeys, etc).

How is the fact that “monkey” is a racial slur relevant to the question of whether “primate” is? Connect the dots for me.

According to the Times article, the video in question featured both black men and “white civilians and police officers.” How do you know the topic-recognition AI was “specifically” targeting black men?

I just did connect the dots for you.  You’re now feigning ignorance.

To start with, for your “ignorance” to be true, you’d have to be unaware that monkeys are also primates.  But since you’ve already demonstrated knowledge that humans are primates, that’s a claim that is clearly untrue.

Monkeys are primates, so calling someone a primate is tantamount to calling them a monkey? That’s your connection? Does the same hold true for “mammal?” What about “vertebrate?”

Face it: yours was an irrational, knee-jerk, emotional reaction that doesn’t hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Now you can move on to calling me a “racist.” Isn’t that your usual playbook whenever you realize you’ve jumped to a ridiculous conclusion?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

08 September 2021 08:56

Jan_CAN - 07 September 2021 09:40 AM

Such an OP clearly indicates a desire to ignore the impact that language has in promoting racism, regardless of the attempt to obfuscate the issue.

Of course all humans are in the family of primates.  But it is also the case that we humans consider ourselves in a category (Homo sapiens) ‘above’ our primate cousins, and when referring generally (in lay terms) to primates (watch any nature show), are talking about the monkeys and apes.  A statement that “Black Men Are Primates”, whether made by a human or a faulty/biased AI program, would clearly be an insinuation that Black men are less evolved.  Obvious racism.

No, I’m not ignoring anything. I’m trolling you. I knew exactly what response to expect. I would have been disappointed if you’d said:

Well, Duh. What did you expect from Facebook (and the Times), ASD? Of course it’s ridiculous to infer racism from the word, “primate.” But Facebook has put itself in the position of having to cater to the ignorant—and to defend itself from race-baiters (like the Times) looking for any excuse to cry, “Racism!” There’s nothing to see here.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3866
Joined  21-10-2016

08 September 2021 09:26

Antisocialdarwinist - 08 September 2021 08:56 AM
Jan_CAN - 07 September 2021 09:40 AM

Such an OP clearly indicates a desire to ignore the impact that language has in promoting racism, regardless of the attempt to obfuscate the issue.

Of course all humans are in the family of primates.  But it is also the case that we humans consider ourselves in a category (Homo sapiens) ‘above’ our primate cousins, and when referring generally (in lay terms) to primates (watch any nature show), are talking about the monkeys and apes.  A statement that “Black Men Are Primates”, whether made by a human or a faulty/biased AI program, would clearly be an insinuation that Black men are less evolved.  Obvious racism.

No, I’m not ignoring anything. I’m trolling you. I knew exactly what response to expect. I would have been disappointed if you’d said:

Well, Duh. What did you expect from Facebook (and the Times), ASD? Of course it’s ridiculous to infer racism from the word, “primate.” But Facebook has put itself in the position of having to cater to the ignorant—and to defend itself from race-baiters (like the Times) looking for any excuse to cry, “Racism!” There’s nothing to see here.

And this OP is exactly what would be expected from someone spending too much time on FaceBook or the Twitter world.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6953
Joined  22-02-2005

08 September 2021 09:54

What primate urge are you trying to satisfy here?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8308
Joined  15-02-2007

08 September 2021 10:29

I’m trolling you.

Business as usual.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Total Posts:  1977
Joined  19-06-2020

08 September 2021 12:29

Antisocialdarwinist - 08 September 2021 08:45 AM

Are you unaware that calling black people monkeys has a long history as a racial slur?

Here’s an article you can read.  I agree, that all humans are primates.  The problem isn’t in referring to ALL humans as primates.  The problem is when someone specifically targets black people to call them primates (or apes, gorillas, monkeys, etc).

How is the fact that “monkey” is a racial slur relevant to the question of whether “primate” is? Connect the dots for me.

According to the Times article, the video in question featured both black men and “white civilians and police officers.” How do you know the topic-recognition AI was “specifically” targeting black men?

To start with, for your “ignorance” to be true, you’d have to be unaware that monkeys are also primates.  But since you’ve already demonstrated knowledge that humans are primates, that’s a claim that is clearly untrue.

Monkeys are primates, so calling someone a primate is tantamount to calling them a monkey? That’s your connection? Does the same hold true for “mammal?” What about “vertebrate?”

Face it: yours was an irrational, knee-jerk, emotional reaction that doesn’t hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

Now you can move on to calling me a “racist.” Isn’t that your usual playbook whenever you realize you’ve jumped to a ridiculous conclusion?

It wasn’t emotional or irrational.  I provided evidence and used logic to arrive at my conclusion.

The fact that you don’t like my evidence or logic… is irrelevant.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4114
Joined  26-03-2013

09 September 2021 07:52

ASD is one restraining order and a pair of too tight pants away from becoming indistinguishable from GAD.

#BlackPrimatesMatter

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

09 September 2021 07:53

Nhoj Morley - 08 September 2021 09:54 AM

What primate urge are you trying to satisfy here?

The urge to entertain myself. What else would it be?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

09 September 2021 08:08

weird buffalo - 08 September 2021 12:29 PM

It wasn’t emotional or irrational.  I provided evidence and used logic to arrive at my conclusion.

You’re right: I don’t like your “logic,” which consists of conflating the meanings of two words: “primate” and “monkey.”

And your “evidence” reminds me of your counterparts’ “evidence” that the election was stolen: it feels like Trump should have won; therefore, the election must have been stolen! Never mind that their feelings aren’t borne out by all the investigations into election fraud.

It feels like the word primate means monkey; therefore, it must be racist to call black people primates! Never mind that your feelings aren’t borne out by the definition of the word, primate:

any of an order (Primates) of mammals that are characterized especially by advanced development of binocular vision resulting in stereoscopic depth perception, specialization of the hands and feet for grasping, and enlargement of the cerebral hemispheres and that include humans, apes, monkeys, and related forms (such as lemurs and tarsiers)

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

09 September 2021 09:06

Antisocialdarwinist - 09 September 2021 08:08 AM
weird buffalo - 08 September 2021 12:29 PM

You’re right: I don’t like your “logic,” which consists of conflating the meanings of two words: “primate” and “monkey.”

And your “evidence” reminds me of your counterparts’ “evidence” that the election was stolen: it feels like Trump should have won; therefore, the election must have been stolen! Never mind that their feelings aren’t borne out by all the investigations into election fraud.

It feels like the word primate means monkey; therefore, it must be racist to call black people primates! Never mind that your feelings aren’t borne out by the definition of the word, primate:

any of an order (Primates) of mammals that are characterized especially by advanced development of binocular vision resulting in stereoscopic depth perception, specialization of the hands and feet for grasping, and enlargement of the cerebral hemispheres and that include humans, apes, monkeys, and related forms (such as lemurs and tarsiers)

As opposed to your feelings that primates just referred to humans in your first post.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

10 September 2021 07:55

You’re just repeating the same logical error that got you into trouble in the first place: “All humans are primates” (which is what I said in my first post) is not the same as “All primates are humans,” which is how you’re apparently interpreting it. “All monkeys are primates” is not the same as “all primates are monkeys.” “All lizards are reptiles” is not the same as “All reptiles are lizards.” “All prime numbers are integers” is not the same as “All integers are prime numbers.”

Maybe you should write it down on a yellow sticky note and paste it to your computer screen, so you won’t keep embarrassing yourself.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  2254
Joined  31-10-2015

10 September 2021 08:54

Antisocialdarwinist - 10 September 2021 07:55 AM

You’re just repeating the same logical error that got you into trouble in the first place: “All humans are primates” (which is what I said in my first post) is not the same as “All primates are humans,” which is how you’re apparently interpreting it. “All monkeys are primates” is not the same as “all primates are monkeys.” “All lizards are reptiles” is not the same as “All reptiles are lizards.” “All prime numbers are integers” is not the same as “All integers are prime numbers.”

Maybe you should write it down on a yellow sticky note and paste it to your computer screen, so you won’t keep embarrassing yourself.

Weird buffalo has been busy lately vetting racist minerals. You’ve got to forgive an occasionally slipped memory.

weird buffalo

weird buffalo
Joined  19-06-2020

10 September 2021 09:37

Except none of that is the logic that is presented.  So, perhaps this is why you aren’t getting it.  It makes sense that you don’t understand my logic if you can’t actually repeat what the claim is.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

11 September 2021 10:13

weird buffalo - 10 September 2021 09:37 AM

Except none of that is the logic that is presented.  So, perhaps this is why you aren’t getting it.  It makes sense that you don’t understand my logic if you can’t actually repeat what the claim is.

And we’re right back to your usual copout. If that’s not your logic, you could always explain what your “logic” actually is. But you won’t. Because you’ve already realized that your logic, whatever it is, won’t hold up to scrutiny. How many times have we been down this road before? Instead, you’ll just complain that you’ve already made it clear as an azure sky of summer blue, couldn’t possibly make it any more clear, and anyone who claims they don’t “get it” is being deliberately obtuse.

At least you’re consistent.

< 1 2 3 >