The Project Reason Forum Reboot

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3866
Joined  21-10-2016

06 October 2021 07:55

bbearren - 05 October 2021 08:16 PM
Nhoj Morley - 04 October 2021 06:48 PM

Me either. I am getting email notifications of every event. I don’t have one announcing your sign-up. Please try it again.

I didn’t figure on hosting vacation snaps.

Correction: There is a log-in and register prompt at the bottom of every thread.

I login, then I see Login or Register to post.  I’m not seeing any error message, no “bad password” or such.  So I click Login, I login, then I see Login or Register to post.  I’ve been around that roundabout several times, but I can’t get there from here.

bbearren, a couple of thoughts/suggestions ...

After clicking on ‘Register’ and filling out name (see LJ’s post #10) etc., there’ll be a box in which you have to type the letters seen to show you’re not a robot.  I had to do this a couple of times as I had trouble reading the letters on my monitor.  Then I think there was a short message saying that registration was complete, but I was unable to logon until I accessed my personal e-mail and activated the registration.  I then reopened the PRF site and was able to login.  (Also, there is an ‘Edit profile’ button to the right of the ‘Add your message’ box.)

So, I’m wondering ... Did you enter your e-mail address correctly?  Were you successful in proving you’re not a robot?
Of course it’s possible I’m off-base here.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1940
Joined  01-11-2014

06 October 2021 20:01

Uh oh.

I have to prove I’m not a robot when registering too?

This is going to be harder than I thought.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6953
Joined  22-02-2005

07 October 2021 05:55

I’ll have to talk to the ubers about that too.

Wouldn’t it make more sense if robots have to prove they are robots?

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3957
Joined  20-11-2013

07 October 2021 06:06

Jan_CAN - 06 October 2021 07:55 AM
bbearren - 05 October 2021 08:16 PM
Nhoj Morley - 04 October 2021 06:48 PM

Me either. I am getting email notifications of every event. I don’t have one announcing your sign-up. Please try it again.

I didn’t figure on hosting vacation snaps.

Correction: There is a log-in and register prompt at the bottom of every thread.

I login, then I see Login or Register to post.  I’m not seeing any error message, no “bad password” or such.  So I click Login, I login, then I see Login or Register to post.  I’ve been around that roundabout several times, but I can’t get there from here.

bbearren, a couple of thoughts/suggestions ...

After clicking on ‘Register’ and filling out name (see LJ’s post #10) etc., there’ll be a box in which you have to type the letters seen to show you’re not a robot.  I had to do this a couple of times as I had trouble reading the letters on my monitor.  Then I think there was a short message saying that registration was complete, but I was unable to logon until I accessed my personal e-mail and activated the registration.  I then reopened the PRF site and was able to login.  (Also, there is an ‘Edit profile’ button to the right of the ‘Add your message’ box.)

So, I’m wondering ... Did you enter your e-mail address correctly?  Were you successful in proving you’re not a robot?
Of course it’s possible I’m off-base here.

I didn’t see any of that, wasn’t offered a chance to prove I’m not a robot nor have I received an email.  I can login which gets me into that loop, or I can attempt to register again, and I get informed that “This user already exists!” with a link to “login here”, which is just a different entrance to the same loop.

I can’t get there from here.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

07 October 2021 11:35

The zooglers say they have found and fixed the K problem. All K’s are present and accounted for.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

07 October 2021 19:11

Nhoj Morley - 07 October 2021 11:35 AM

The zooglers say they have found and fixed the K problem. All K’s are present and accounted for.

That must be what “This user already exists!” means.

Evidently I’m not a K.  I must be an L, since the only thing I can do there is Loop.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  22649
Joined  11-03-2007

16 October 2021 14:52

bb, this confirms what we have always suspected - you are a robot. But, there is hope.  If you drop into the Black Hole, you will come out the other side as a human.  But I’m not sure if that is an improvement.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

29 October 2021 18:07

Well, I finally got registered on The Project Reason Forum Reboot, but it was rather short lived.  Nhoj booted me ‘cause he doesn’t care for my posts, I guess.  I re-registered for a Swan Song post, but Nhoj booted me again and deleted my post.

I have no plans of trying again and making Nhoj play whack-a-mole.  Apparently the other transplants didn’t particularly want me there, either, which is OK, too.

Nhoj may boot this post as well.  Maybe I touched a nerve?  Who knows.  His platform, his rules, his choice.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  8308
Joined  15-02-2007

30 October 2021 15:54

bbearren - 29 October 2021 06:07 PM

Well, I finally got registered on The Project Reason Forum Reboot, but it was rather short lived.  Nhoj booted me ‘cause he doesn’t care for my posts, I guess.  I re-registered for a Swan Song post, but Nhoj booted me again and deleted my post.

I have no plans of trying again and making Nhoj play whack-a-mole.  Apparently the other transplants didn’t particularly want me there, either, which is OK, too.

Nhoj may boot this post as well.  Maybe I touched a nerve?  Who knows.  His platform, his rules, his choice.

For the record,.I’m strongly neutral on whether a person posts or not.  I can easily scroll past or whatever.

I find your specific posts curious (and repetitive/redundant).  On the order of ‘I will post a thing (again), but don’t try to engage me or question me on these discussion forums…’ which is a little bit odd, for discussion forums.

But it’s your nickel, and I wouldn’t prevent you from posting.

/Shrug

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

30 October 2021 17:17

And yet here you are, Bruce, playing whack-a-mole with a chronic case of last-word-itis.

The ban hammer comes down after a long path of inquiries, cautions, strings of PM’s… sometimes phone conversation and hours of thoughtful podcast editing.

Patrons start threads because there is something they want to talk about. If it is not what you want to talk about, you are not entitled to derail the discussion with word-games.

You were invited to start a new Black Hole thread. Jar Management provides total latitude within the confines of the assigned jar. That way, if patrons wish to engage the subjects that you want to talk about in the manner you wish to discuss them, they can. On the whole, they didn’t.

Suspensions are driven by patron complaints and precedent. Banning requires a unanimous opinion of the admin staff. Personally, I hate it when it comes to that. It is like giving up. I went the distance with Irfan to my continued regret. I have defended all of you when PM’s came from the Ubers about things appearing to be out of control. Aside from Shane, there is no example of personal feelings to cite.

To treat you any differently would be unfair to Brother Mario or The Mabus who, as many will recall, engaged in a similar habit.

Stuck a nerve? You stuck a reef of your own making.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

31 October 2021 09:27

Nhoj Morley - 30 October 2021 05:17 PM

As you know, I was not talking about “here” at “forum.samharris.org”, but about your platform, “nhojmorley.com/the-project-reason-forum”  In that regard,

And yet here you are, Bruce, playing whack-a-mole with a chronic case of last-word-itis.

... is a tad misleading, is it not?  I’m still not on your platform, where the reference to “whack-a-mole” is applicable.

“His platform” is in referenct to “nhojmorley.com/the-project-reason-forum”, not to “forum.samharris.org”.  But you knew that.

The ban hammer comes down after a long path of inquiries, cautions, strings of PM’s… sometimes phone conversation and hours of thoughtful podcast editing.

The ban hammer came down on your platform, not (as yet, anyway) here at “forum.samharris.org”.  You’re replying to a post here at “forum.samharris.org”, which would indicate rather distinctly that I am not yet banned here.

Patrons start threads because there is something they want to talk about. If it is not what you want to talk about, you are not entitled to derail the discussion with word-games.

You were invited to start a new Black Hole thread. Jar Management provides total latitude within the confines of the assigned jar. That way, if patrons wish to engage the subjects that you want to talk about in the manner you wish to discuss them, they can. On the whole, they didn’t.

No, I asked about using quotes from EN’s thread in a new thread of my own.  Here’s your reply to the PM:

Sender: Nhoj Morley
Subject: RE: Hijacked thread
Date: 8/26/2014 2:19 AM
Recipients: <bbearren>

I’m sure Bruce is not troubled by it. The thread has covered the ground he expected it to. Proceed as you see fit… more thread or a new thread.

I seem to have hijacked a thread started by EN in the Christianity Forum, Evidence of Jesus’ Resurrection (+BM).  There are a number of posts directed toward me, but I am hesitant to post any replies, as the thread seems to have gotten back on track.

Is it within the Forum rules for me to “quote” and copy those posts directed to me, then paste them into a new thread of my own where I can then post replies?

Jar Management never came into the thread, I was never confined to The Black Hole, and was free to post on any forum at “forum.samharris.org”.  I started The Black Hole thread of my own volition for my own reasons, which I clearly stated in the OP of that thread:

bbearren - 26 August 2014 01:48 AM

This OP jumped in rather abruptly, so I am editing and inserting this preface as an introduction and explanation of this thread’s origin.  A thread started by EN, “Evidence of Jesus’ Resurrection” became inadvertently hijacked by posts of mine and replies to them, leading EN to post:

The black hole moves through the thread, preventing even the escape of light, sucking all dialogue into its massive, swirling vortex.

and:

We are actually talking about bb.  He’s now become the subject of this thread, interestingly enough.

So I posted this:

Not my intent.  The thread appears to be somewhat back on track, so I’m not going to answer the questions posed to me here; I don’t want to hijack the thread again.  I PM’d Nhoj, and he told me to proceed as I see fit, so I’ll answer those questions in the Black Hole.

It was not my intent to hijack EN’s thread, so I copied some of the posts from EN’s thread relevant to only my posts over to this thread, using EN’s remark for its name, and began posting my responses here.

I continue to use this thread from time to time as a vehicle through which to respond to and at the same time avoid hijacking the threads of others.  As of the date of this edit, this thread contains 498 posts, of which 38% (190) are mine.

The OP begins here

As of 10/31/2021 The Black Hole has 619 posts, only 245 are mine (39.58%), with 129,607 total views.  There are 2,758 threads in the Christianity Forum going back to 2005.  Only three of those threads have more views than The Black Hole.  It seems a bit of exaggeration to say

...if patrons wish to engage the subjects that you want to talk about in the manner you wish to discuss them, they can. On the whole, they didn’t.

Suspensions are driven by patron complaints and precedent. Banning requires a unanimous opinion of the admin staff. Personally, I hate it when it comes to that. It is like giving up. I went the distance with Irfan to my continued regret. I have defended all of you when PM’s came from the Ubers about things appearing to be out of control. Aside from Shane, there is no example of personal feelings to cite.

To treat you any differently would be unfair to Brother Mario or The Mabus who, as many will recall, engaged in a similar habit.

Stuck a nerve? You stuck a reef of your own making.

Again, irrelevant to my post here at “forum.samharris.org”, said post concerning only your platform, “nhojmorley.com/the-project-reason-forum”.  You booted me from there.  Your exaggerated response here seems to indicate that I did hit a nerve.

[ Edited: 31 October 2021 09:51 by bbearren]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  4114
Joined  26-03-2013

31 October 2021 10:30

The nerve is gratuitously bragging about being generous which defeats the purpose of generosity.  And shows the take means more than the give.  Not all that surprising from a thread that peddles miracles.  And claims there’s no way of separating real from imaginary. 

People have been doing it steadily for years waiting for any of these ghost stories to yield any sort of insight.  These forums have shown the logical responses trickle in as atheists tiptoe around carefully while taking insults for not being more accepting of the nonsense.  Manipulated into entertaining it in order to belong to the same group of regulars.  Which meant defending things they don’t even believe.  It’s the stuff that cults are made of but thanks to dwindling membership never had the chance to materialize.  Just when folks were at their most tribal.

It’ll be interesting to see how many patrons are still willing to compromise their integrity by grandfathering in these dusty spools of yarn.

bbearren

bbearren
Joined  20-11-2013

31 October 2021 11:06

LadyJane - 31 October 2021 10:30 AM

The nerve is gratuitously bragging about being generous which defeats the purpose of generosity.  And shows the take means more than the give.  Not all that surprising from a thread that peddles miracles.  And claims there’s no way of separating real from imaginary.

Not that you were addressing me directly, but my claim has ever been that I remain firmly rooted in reality, nor have I ever made claim of any alternate reality.

People have been doing it steadily for years waiting for any of these ghost stories to yield any sort of insight.  These forums have shown the logical responses trickle in as atheists tiptoe around carefully while taking insults for not being more accepting of the nonsense.  Manipulated into entertaining it in order to belong to the same group of regulars.  Which meant defending things they don’t even believe.  It’s the stuff that cults are made of but thanks to dwindling membership never had the chance to materialize.  Just when folks were at their most tribal.

I have asked no quarter.

bbearren - 29 October 2014 07:26 PM

I have no intention of trying to convince/convert anyone.  I have no concern regarding whether or not my faith should be viewed as some alternative possible truth.  It does not matter.  Dismiss it as you will, I shall offer no counterpoint, no historical context, no proof.  Feel free to be as vehemently denigrative as you wish; it is meaningless.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

31 October 2021 21:20

Now the ceiling sprinklers have gone off. Any further appeal to the rule of the chair must be private.

“Platform” is a meaningless distinction here. The staff, rules and community are exactly the same. The Harris camp has left this site and its platform as a drifting piece of flotsam. It might carry on for years in this form. There may never be any evidence that being unsecure is a problem for anyone. Current patrons and our vast log-in-able-alumni may produce a trickle of posts until the crack of doom. That would be a fairly happy situation.

I appreciate how patrons have found ways to cope with the limited amenities at the PRF. Spelling has improved, too. Zooglers are quick about fixing problems or explaining things but improvements may come only with continuous pressure.

I consider the PRF an annex to this ‘platform’ which is why it isn’t called the trioon forum. I hope to change its appearance this week. Slate grey with white text is the plan, possibly without the banner and silhouette of my nose at the top.

My original site’s traffic was built from links on pages I cannot imagine and zoogle promised to redirect them but not indefinitely. I’ll carry on with my stuff. The site doesn’t cost that much.

I am more concerned about ambience. It is all the same saloon. We’ve added patio seating.

< 1 2