Mental Slavery

Yahun

Yahun
Total Posts:  486
Joined  24-10-2007

12 January 2008 13:47

Celsus - 12 January 2008 06:23 PM
Yahun - 12 January 2008 06:08 PM

Tell me, Freud, why am I using an alias?

I don’t know. Why am I using an alias?

You look up to Celsus or see yourself as somehow being similar to him in that you oppose Christianity and style yourself a philosopher?

And Freud was a moron. wink

We have finally found something that we agree on.

Celsus

Celsus
Total Posts:  813
Joined  19-02-2006

12 January 2008 14:09

Yahun - 12 January 2008 06:47 PM

You look up to Celsus or see yourself as somehow being similar to him in that you oppose Christianity and style yourself a philosopher?

Actually, no. I selected the name Celsus because (1) I had just read his book and enjoyed it immensely. One could argue that had I read some other skeptical book, I may have ended up with a different nom-de-plume. Argument from chronology. (2) I became interested in posting on these forums and needed a name. Argument from neccesity. (3) As that this is an atheist forum, and much of it is concerned with refutations of the notions of Christianity,  I thought would be clever to use the name of one of the oldest know opponents of that faith. Arguement from hilarity.

I certainly don’t style myself as philosopher (perhaps you have somehow confused me with frankr?). Frankly, I find most philosophies to be just as silly as religions. I take from philosophies what seems usefull, and chuck the rest.

My personal philosophy was learned from the greatest of philosophers, Popeye the Sailor Man, to whit: “I yam what I yam, and that’s all that I yam.”

Those are the only words I live by. wink

Yahun

Yahun
Joined  24-10-2007

12 January 2008 15:06

Celsus - 12 January 2008 07:09 PM
Yahun - 12 January 2008 06:47 PM

Actually, no. I selected the name Celsus because (1) I had just read his book and enjoyed it immensely. One could argue that had I read some other skeptical book, I may have ended up with a different nom-de-plume. Argument from chronology. (2) I became interested in posting on these forums and needed a name. Argument from neccesity. (3) As that this is an atheist forum, and much of it is concerned with refutations of the notions of Christianity,  I thought would be clever to use the name of one of the oldest know opponents of that faith. Arguement from hilarity.p

I only guessed because you asked me to.

I certainly don’t style myself as philosopher (perhaps you have somehow confused me with frankr?). Frankly, I find most philosophies to be just as silly as religions. I take from philosophies what seems usefull, and chuck the rest.

Is being a philosopher a negative thing? Philo-Sophia (Seeker of Wisdom), a term coined by Pythagoras.

My personal philosophy was learned from the greatest of philosophers, Popeye the Sailor Man, to whit: “I yam what I yam, and that’s all that I yam.”

Those are the only words I live by. wink

Sounds like what I have been saying (in my own way, of course). Do you like spinach as well? (Spinach is nickname for Marijuana)

Celsus

Celsus
Joined  19-02-2006

12 January 2008 17:14

Yahun - 12 January 2008 08:06 PM

Is being a philosopher a negative thing? Philo-Sophia (Seeker of Wisdom), a term coined by Pythagoras.

It is in the modern sense. Most modern philosophers are just arguing to hear themselves talk. Modern philosophy, to my mind, has long relinquished the search for truth to science, and are now little more than the adult members of a forensics team, merrily arguing one point or the other as mood dictates. Mostly, they seem to be creating arguments to support some predetermined conclusion, or endlessly chattering on the epistemilogical minutia of the meanings of a phrase or word (the “it all dependes on what the meaning of the word “is” is” argument). In that sense, no, I don’t like the term philosopher.

Do you like spinach as well? (Spinach is nickname for Marijuana)

No, I am an apostate to Popeye’s glorious teachings in this respect. I don’t partake of the leafy weed, and I don’t eat spinach either. I also dismiss his adoration of clearly anorexic women.

However, I do heartily endorse his approach to conflict resolution. Many a philosophical discourse could come to a much hastier conclusion by the simple institution of a solidly dealt blow to the opponents chin.

[ Edited: 12 January 2008 17:18 by Celsus]

Yahun

Yahun
Joined  24-10-2007

12 January 2008 17:18

Celsus - 12 January 2008 10:14 PM
Yahun - 12 January 2008 08:06 PM

It is in the modern sense. Most modern philosophers are just arguing to hear themselves talk. Modern philosophy, to my mind, has long relinquished the search for truth to science, and are now little more than the adult members of a forensics team, merrily arguing one point or the other as mood dictates. Mostly, they seem to be creating arguments to support some predetermined conclusion, or to endlessly chatter of the epistemilogical minutia of the meanings of a phrase (the “it all dependes on what the meaning of the word “is” is” argument). In that sense, no, I don’t like the term philosopher.

Do you like spinach as well? (Spinach is nickname for Marijuana)

No, I am an apostate to Popeye’s glorious teachings in this respect. I don’t partake of the leafy weed, and I don’t eat spinach either. I also dismiss his adoration of clearly anorexic women.

However, I do heartily endorse his approach to conflict resolution. Many a philosophical discourse could come to a much hastier conclusion by the simple institution of a solidly dealt blow to the opponents chin.

Without the spinach Popeye got pummeled by Brutus.

Kac-kac-kac - toot toot

Celsus

Celsus
Joined  19-02-2006

12 January 2008 17:49

Yahun - 12 January 2008 10:18 PM

Kac-kac-kac - toot toot

Indeed you are a heretic, sir, to elicit such blasphemy before a member of the New Church of Popeye of the latter day ain’ts (reformed).

Actually, the spinach is a metaphor for the Will. The spinach is a placebo, which in and of itself does nothing, but acts as a focusing agent for the Will to Power, which brings into play the strength that was there all along. This can be illustrated by that other great overlooked text of philosophical importance, the Wizard of Oz. Reference the impartation of the gifts, as that they are mere physical representations of the abilities that are already present in the recipient. Of particular note is that bequeathed to the Cowardly Lion:

“I have come for my courage,” announced the lion, entering the room.

“Very well,” answered the little man; “I will get it for you.”

He went to a cupboard and reaching up to a high shelf took down a square green bottle, the contents of which he poured into a green-gold dish, beautifully carved. Placing this before the Cowardly Lion, who sniffed at it as if he did not like it, the Wizard said,

“Drink.”

“What is it?” asked the Lion.

“Well,” answered Oz, “if it were inside of you, it would be courage. You know, of course, that courage is always inside one; so that this really cannot be called courage until you have swallowed it. Therefore I advise you to drink it as soon as possible.”

The Lion hesitated no longer, but drank till the dish was empty.

“How do you feel now?” asked Oz.

“Full of courage,” replied the Lion, who went joyfully back to his friends to tell them of his good fortune.

I quote this at length incase your mind has been infected by the heretical teachings of Hollywood, who has bowdlerized the sacred text of the Baum. (See how they did neglect the mention of the Scarecrows needles, by which he is to show how sharp he is. Surely this is blasphemy most high) But here you can see a clear representation of the purely talismanic nature of the Spinach. No external substance can provide what is lacking within.

So it is written, so mote it be.

Yahun

Yahun
Joined  24-10-2007

12 January 2008 19:27

Celsus - 12 January 2008 10:49 PM
Yahun - 12 January 2008 10:18 PM

Kac-kac-kac - toot toot

Indeed you are a heretic, sir, to elicit such blasphemy before a member of the New Church of Popeye of the latter day ain’ts (reformed).

Actually, the spinach is a metaphor for the Will. The spinach is a placebo, which in and of itself does nothing, but acts as a focusing agent for the Will to Power, which brings into play the strength that was there all along. This can be illustrated by that other great overlooked text of philosophical importance, the Wizard of Oz. Reference the impartation of the gifts, as that they are mere physical representations of the abilities that are already present in the recipient. Of particular note is that bequeathed to the Cowardly Lion:

“I have come for my courage,” announced the lion, entering the room.

“Very well,” answered the little man; “I will get it for you.”

He went to a cupboard and reaching up to a high shelf took down a square green bottle, the contents of which he poured into a green-gold dish, beautifully carved. Placing this before the Cowardly Lion, who sniffed at it as if he did not like it, the Wizard said,

“Drink.”

“What is it?” asked the Lion.

“Well,” answered Oz, “if it were inside of you, it would be courage. You know, of course, that courage is always inside one; so that this really cannot be called courage until you have swallowed it. Therefore I advise you to drink it as soon as possible.”

The Lion hesitated no longer, but drank till the dish was empty.

“How do you feel now?” asked Oz.

“Full of courage,” replied the Lion, who went joyfully back to his friends to tell them of his good fortune.

I quote this at length incase your mind has been infected by the heretical teachings of Hollywood, who has bowdlerized the sacred text of the Baum. (See how they did neglect the mention of the Scarecrows needles, by which he is to show how sharp he is. Surely this is blasphemy most high) But here you can see a clear representation of the purely talismanic nature of the Spinach. No external substance can provide what is lacking within.

So it is written, so mote it be.

Actually, if we’re going to be honest, Popeye was a propaganda cartoon crafted to make American children patriotic and want to join the military:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=K35hQON3PY8&feature=related

Note how they mock Japanese as monkeys and claim that they are all spies (this was when America began sticking Japanese Americans in camps in the United States) and how the cartoon claims America kicked Hitler’s ass when the war was already being won by Russia when America joined in?

Popeye was a racist patriot. lmao

Celsus

Celsus
Joined  19-02-2006

12 January 2008 20:04

Oooooh! Now you’ve really gone and done it!

Popeye was created by the cartoonist E. C. Segar as minor character in his comic strip Thimble Theater in 1929 (far too early for him to have been created for anti-Japanese propaganda purposes). Originally, Popeye was a sailor who was hired by Olive Oyl and her brother Castor (who were originally the focus of the strip) to man a ship that was to take them, and their friend Ham Gravy, on a voyage to Dice Island. Notice, this would seem to suggest that Popeye was not a sailor in the United States military, but was more of a merchant marine, a sailor who would crew various boats for whomever was paying.

However, Popeye became so popular, that the strip began to focus more on him.

it should also be noted that the strip was quite different from the Fleisher studio’s series of animated cartoons (which is where most people, such as yourself, get their notions about him) In the strips, spinach eating was rare, Bluto only appeared once, and Popeye was usually in the employ of Castor Oyl as a pawn in his get-rich-quick schemes.(once again showing how Hollywood corrupts everything)

It was only after Segar’s death in 1938, and the beginning of WWII, that Popeye was enlisted in the US Navy. This happened to a number of comics. Perhaps the most famous one would be Milt Caniff’s Terry and the Pirates, which prior to the war had been an adventure strip about a young boy in China and, well, pirates. After the US entered the war, Terry enlisted in the US army air corps, and the strip changed in tone from the fanciful to more realistic.

So as you see, any jingoism was not imparted by his creator.

Yahun

Yahun
Joined  24-10-2007

12 January 2008 23:51

Celsus - 13 January 2008 01:04 AM

Oooooh! Now you’ve really gone and done it!

Popeye was created by the cartoonist E. C. Segar as minor character in his comic strip Thimble Theater in 1929 (far too early for him to have been created for anti-Japanese propaganda purposes). Originally, Popeye was a sailor who was hired by Olive Oyl and her brother Castor (who were originally the focus of the strip) to man a ship that was to take them, and their friend Ham Gravy, on a voyage to Dice Island. Notice, this would seem to suggest that Popeye was not a sailor in the United States military, but was more of a merchant marine, a sailor who would crew various boats for whomever was paying.

However, Popeye became so popular, that the strip began to focus more on him.

it should also be noted that the strip was quite different from the Fleisher studio’s series of animated cartoons (which is where most people, such as yourself, get their notions about him) In the strips, spinach eating was rare, Bluto only appeared once, and Popeye was usually in the employ of Castor Oyl as a pawn in his get-rich-quick schemes.(once again showing how Hollywood corrupts everything)

It was only after Segar’s death in 1938, and the beginning of WWII, that Popeye was enlisted in the US Navy. This happened to a number of comics. Perhaps the most famous one would be Milt Caniff’s Terry and the Pirates, which prior to the war had been an adventure strip about a young boy in China and, well, pirates. After the US entered the war, Terry enlisted in the US army air corps, and the strip changed in tone from the fanciful to more realistic.

So as you see, any jingoism was not imparted by his creator.

lmao

Fuck Popeye!

haha

How does that make you feel inside? Popeye aint got shit on my dude . . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YpYviqFTSh0

Celsus

Celsus
Joined  19-02-2006

13 January 2008 01:50

Yahun - 13 January 2008 04:51 AM

Fuck Popeye!

haha

How does that make you feel inside?

I imagine that you wish me to feel devastated, but I really don’t care. If anything, I am amused by your continual need for me to feel devastated.

I put in the original reference to Popeye in a pique of whimsy. I continued with the jest because you kept reacting to it.

Honestly, I don’t care what anyone thinks of Popeye. If you couldn’t detect the note of sarcasm in my posts, then you are not as perceptive as you think.

When I wrote out “Oooooh! Now you’ve really gone and done it!” I thought that perhaps I should explain what I meant, knowing that you’d read it as sign of increased frustration, while what it really was indicating is that you had stepped into doo-doo. I spent far too much of my youth interested in comics, comic strips, and their creators. You had stepped into territory that I am all too well versed in. but I decided to let it ride, knowing that you’d believe that you had gotten under my skin.

But once again, I have provided you with a stimulus, and you have reacted just as I thought you would. Geeze, man, you really are too easy.

You claim that we are all puppets, and you are pulling the strings. I have made you my puppet.

Dance, little puppet, dance!

Yahun

Yahun
Joined  24-10-2007

13 January 2008 09:36

Celsus - 13 January 2008 06:50 AM
Yahun - 13 January 2008 04:51 AM

Fuck Popeye!

haha

How does that make you feel inside?

I imagine that you wish me to feel devastated, but I really don’t care. If anything, I am amused by your continual need for me to feel devastated.

I put in the original reference to Popeye in a pique of whimsy. I continued with the jest because you kept reacting to it.

Honestly, I don’t care what anyone thinks of Popeye. If you couldn’t detect the note of sarcasm in my posts, then you are not as perceptive as you think.

When I wrote out “Oooooh! Now you’ve really gone and done it!” I thought that perhaps I should explain what I meant, knowing that you’d read it as sign of increased frustration, while what it really was indicating is that you had stepped into doo-doo. I spent far too much of my youth interested in comics, comic strips, and their creators. You had stepped into territory that I am all too well versed in. but I decided to let it ride, knowing that you’d believe that you had gotten under my skin.

But once again, I have provided you with a stimulus, and you have reacted just as I thought you would. Geeze, man, you really are too easy.

You claim that we are all puppets, and you are pulling the strings. I have made you my puppet.

Dance, little puppet, dance!

Actually, I assumed you were kidding around and so I was joking with you. You take yourself, this discussion, and our exchange way too seriously. I was viewing it as two adults joking around.

Apparently you’ve misunderstood.

*Shrugs*

LoL @ you thinking you’re pulling my strings. I never thought I was getting under your skin. I actually thought you knew that I was kidding around and assumed you were as well. Sheesh

< 1 2 3