Another excellent rant…

Andrew

Andrew
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  15-06-2006

26 August 2011 08:54

...from my man, Hunter:

According to this philosophy, any help to the poor will only coddle them. They should attend church, and feed their souls; if they are virtuous, God will feed them himself. Poor people get divorced, but rich people do not. Poor people are ignorant: if God truly loved them, he would pay for their education (because of course the rest of us should not.) Poor people are not hard workers, unlike the better off: any layabout can pick crops for ten hours a day. Poor people tend to be born out of wedlock, which makes them bastards, which makes them impure.

Above all, poor people are depraved, and should certainly not have their lives made more comfortable and sustainable at our expense. If they cannot feed themselves, they should die. If their children need medical care but the poor have not saved enough money for it, those children should die. If they cannot pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, if they cannot stay in school instead of giving it up in order to earn enough money to eat, if they cannot go to Harvard like the rest of us and educate themselves, damn them, then they are not worth saving. We should tell them to work harder, we should tell them to go to church, and we should tell them to stop getting divorces: after that, our hands are tied.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9270
Joined  29-01-2010

26 August 2011 12:08

Are you sure it’s not Antisocial Darwinist?

W. Collins

W. Collins
Total Posts:  2451
Joined  13-07-2009

26 August 2011 12:56

saralynn - 26 August 2011 10:08 AM

Are you sure it’s not Antisocial Darwinist?

LOL

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6265
Joined  08-12-2006

26 August 2011 16:12

Nope, not me.

The original essay, Our Depraved Poor appeared in French’s blog. He referenced it from The National Review On Line.

He claims that a lack of values causes people to behave in ways that are counterproductive to their own self interest and to the interest of society as a whole. I think there’s some truth to that.

In theory, religion does a good job of instilling values. Whether it instills the right values is debatable—some are probably beneficial to society (the Protestant work ethic, for example, or the value of staying married); some aren’t (homosexuality as a sin). I say, “in theory” because statistics show that divorce rates among practicing Christians today is at least as high as the national average. So while religion may have been effective at instilling values in the past, it doesn’t seem to be very effective today.

But I do agree that we’d all be better off if we did a better job of instilling values into people. Whatever innate values we’re born with are apparently no longer sufficient for success in today’s environment. If we can’t rely on religion to do the instilling (either because we’re becoming more secular or because religion has lost its touch), then we should find some other means. Education isn’t enough. In fact, I’d say the problems we’re having with our education system stem in part from students’ lack of values. If “hard word is good” and “laziness is bad” were drilled into children at an early age (as it is in many Asian cultures), children would work harder in school. Especially if it was drilled into all children, so that peer pressure came into play, as well.

French also claims that welfare programs designed to help the poor are self-defeating because they reward failure and perpetuate a cycle of dependence. This is obviously nothing new. It’s an oversimplification, but I do think there’s some truth to this, as well.

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

26 August 2011 16:21

Antisocialdarwinist - 26 August 2011 02:12 PM

He claims that a lack of values causes people to behave in ways that are counterproductive to their own self interest and to the interest of society as a whole.

(Andrew):  He says:

If an American works hard, completes their education, gets married, and stays married, then they will rarely — very rarely — be poor.

That’s such obvious bullshit—particularly in these times when even the most well-educated, motivated, married individual may find themselves out of work and on the street—that it’s not worth considering.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6416
Joined  15-02-2007

26 August 2011 18:15

Education isn’t enough. In fact, I’d say the problems we’re having with our education system stem in part from students’ lack of values.

4 words:  No Child Left Behind.

‘nuff said.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6265
Joined  08-12-2006

26 August 2011 18:37

Andrew - 26 August 2011 02:21 PM

He claims that a lack of values causes people to behave in ways that are counterproductive to their own self interest and to the interest of society as a whole.

If an American works hard, completes their education, gets married, and stays married, then they will rarely — very rarely — be poor.

That’s such obvious bullshit—particularly in these times when even the most well-educated, motivated, married individual may find themselves out of work and on the street—that it’s not worth considering.

I agree, although I suppose one could argue about the definition of “very rarely.” Nevertheless, wouldn’t you agree that someone who works hard and completes their education is less likely to be poor than someone who doesn’t work hard and doesn’t complete their education?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20316
Joined  11-03-2007

26 August 2011 18:41

Antisocialdarwinist - 26 August 2011 04:37 PM
Andrew - 26 August 2011 02:21 PM

I agree, although I suppose one could argue about the definition of “very rarely.” Nevertheless, wouldn’t you agree that someone who works hard and completes their education is less likely to be poor than someone who doesn’t work hard and doesn’t complete their education?

The statistics are pretty clear: the more education, the higher the income. Obviously, that doesn’t hold true in every case, but that’s how it averages out. The most certain prescription for poverty is someone not finishing high school.  If female, and you also add “unwed mother” to that description, you are almost assured of being poor. Education is the best door out of the poor house.

Andrew

Andrew
Joined  15-06-2006

26 August 2011 19:48

Antisocialdarwinist - 26 August 2011 04:37 PM

...wouldn’t you agree that someone who works hard and completes their education is less likely to be poor than someone who doesn’t work hard and doesn’t complete their education?

(Andrew):  Sure.  There’s no question that the better paying jobs require an education.  There’s also no question that a college education (let’s don’t kid ourselves, a high-school education is squat these days) is pretty much out of the reach of the poor—various scholarships to the contrary notwithstanding. 
But we need to be careful not to then go on and imply that poor folk are a different breed of human who don’t work hard or strive to educate themselves.  Or that working hard and getting an education will keep you from being poor.