Live cam on eagle nest

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6322
Joined  15-05-2009

30 March 2012 22:03

Isn’t technology wonderful.  Bird researchers have placed cameras by bird nests so you can stream live views of the activities:

eagles in Iowa
http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

red-tailed hawk in NY
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/Page.aspx?pid=2422&ac=ac&utm_source=Cornell+Lab+eNews&utm_campaign=48964f52af-eNews_HawkBirdCam_March_2012&utm_medium=email

great blue heron in NY
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=2433

The last two also have live chat.

First you think it’s just a still photo; then you realize mom is sitting on the eggs very patiently.  You can see her breathe and her feathers ruffle in the wind.  Occasionally dad will come in with food or additional sticks for the nest and they interact.  After the eggs hatch, you can see the hatchlings wobble around and grow day by day.  You might think it’s boring, but I find it really relaxing to peek in on the bird’s life for a few minutes.  They are beautiful animals.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

30 March 2012 22:08

PS You have to view during the day, as there is no lighting at night.  There may be some archived footage on some websites.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  19-08-2010

31 March 2012 07:18

hannahfriend - 30 March 2012 08:08 PM

PS You have to view during the day, as there is no lighting at night.  There may be some archived footage on some websites.

Very cool Hannah!
The first link to the eagle is really clear and captivating, nice to see how attentive Mrs Eagle is.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

31 March 2012 14:26

MARTIN UK - 31 March 2012 05:18 AM
hannahfriend - 30 March 2012 08:08 PM

Very cool Hannah!
The first link to the eagle is really clear and captivating, nice to see how attentive Mrs Eagle is.

Glad you like it.  I’m something of a nature nerd, myself.
This morning I happened to be watching Mrs. Eagle just as she got up to change guard with Mr. Eagle.  There are three tiny fluffball babies.  The babies were left uncovered for less than a minute.  Mr. settled down on them with quite a bit of wiggling to get himself and the babies comfortable.  Then he started reworking the nest—a bit of housekeeping.  The chat feed shows that people are viewing from all over.  Sometimes banal comments; sometimes useful info, like how to tell Mr. apart from Mrs.  I’m a sucker for this stuff.

Alexis Davis

Alexis Davis
Total Posts:  124
Joined  19-05-2011

31 March 2012 17:50

That is so cool. smile I love to go out hiking in the woods and photographing animals. I mostly look for various amphibians, but, I also like birds. smile

can zen

can zen
Total Posts:  1944
Joined  23-07-2009

31 March 2012 18:57

Thanks for the links hannahfriend I’ll be keeping track of the action.  One think I did notice was the immense amount of automobile traffic noise at the nest site, I found this very irritating, but I guess the eagles don’t seem to mind?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

31 March 2012 19:58

can zen - 31 March 2012 04:57 PM

Thanks for the links hannahfriend I’ll be keeping track of the action.  One think I did notice was the immense amount of automobile traffic noise at the nest site, I found this very irritating, but I guess the eagles don’t seem to mind?

Lots of other tweeting too.  And I heard a woodpecker rattling in the distance.  This is somewhere near Cornell Univ.

MARTIN_UK

MARTIN_UK
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  19-08-2010

01 April 2012 08:29

We got two Wood Pigeons who keep coming back and nesting under the eves of our roof, just above our satellite dish, makes a lovely mess on it, but at least their crap has no effect on the other crap we receive from Sky TV….  confused