Recomended reading from the Qur’an

Matt Polofka

Matt Polofka
Total Posts:  48
Joined  31-07-2012

02 August 2012 02:15

I don’t have any doubt that the things I’ve heard Sam Harris say about the violent form of Islam being a very straightforward interpretation of the Qur’an, but I’d like to read the book myself to see what it says. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start and what parts of it to read; I’m probably not going to read the whole book.

I’m particularly interested in the parts about Islam converting everyone and the parts about martyrdom.

srd44

srd44
Total Posts:  129
Joined  29-04-2012

02 August 2012 05:12

I believe you want the Meccan suras, which are more apocalyptic in flavor. It’s been a while since I’ve read the Qur’an say I may be wrong here. I sort of wish Harris would pick up on the fact that martyrdom has its roots in the Judaism of the 3rd c BC and into the early Christian period. It is associated with fierce politico-religious nationalism. OT scholars often refer to the “Yahweh alone movement” of the Deuteronomist who proclaimed the utter destruction, annihilation of all the indigenous population of Canaan “without pity”—- “You shall devour all the peoples whom Yahweh your god delivers to you; you shall show them no pity (7:16)...“until they are wiped out” “perish from under heaven (7:23). The language is quite strong and the whole program is tied to the ideology of the Yahweh alone movement. Second, in the 3rd century BC when martyrdom really showed itself, it was against the political backdrop of foreign monarchs & hegemonies invading the Jewish people’s land and controlling the political and religious aspects there. Martyrdom was the response, and at this time it was that the idea of resurrection first emerged in the biblical literature—the reward for being a martyr.

I’m quite fascinated bu the phenomenon. At root, it basically assumes the defeatist position—being killed by the foreign hegemony—and transfers this into a victory. That said, today’s Islamic martyrdom takes it to the next level as it were.But its ideas are rooted in the Judeo-Christian tradition.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19848
Joined  11-03-2007

02 August 2012 22:34

Check this website.  The citations are to sura: verse. 

http://infidelsarecool.com/2006/12/overwhelming-evidence-of-i/

[ Edited: 02 August 2012 22:38 by EN]

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14595
Joined  24-12-2004

03 August 2012 11:13

It’s not a terribly long book—tedious perhaps ... very tedious, perhaps, but not particularly long.

saralynn

saralynn
Total Posts:  9190
Joined  29-01-2010

03 August 2012 20:51

I tried reading it once, but it was too boring.  I think you might have to speak Arabic to really appreciate it.  I recall there were many references to Paradise being a lush garden, which makes sense for desert people.  For the same reason, having it populated with virgins also seems reasonable.  I’m not certain what women experience when they go to Heaven.  Maybe they regain their virginity, so that they can service the men, since it is a 72:1 ratio.

Matt Polofka

Matt Polofka
Total Posts:  48
Joined  31-07-2012

05 August 2012 03:22

SkepticX - 03 August 2012 09:13 AM

It’s not a terribly long book—tedious perhaps ... very tedious, perhaps, but not particularly long.

Really, I was under the impression it was 1500 pages. That must have been a version with a ton of commentary.