1 2 3 >  Last ›

Why did God wait 48,000 years before sending Jesus?

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  7461
Joined  20-02-2006

24 June 2012 18:47

Archeological evidence tells us that Neanderthal people lived in Europe for more than 300,000 years.  Our own species existed more than 100,000 years ago and reached fully modern behavior more than 50,000 years ago.

Since we had all our wits about us 50,000 years ago, painting beautiful pictures on cave walls for example, why did God wait 48,000 years before sending Jesus?

If you’re going to wait that long anyway, and if you really want everyone to know the truth of the matter, why not wait until Jesus’ audience had cell phones and could record all his teachings and miracles for posterity?  Why leave such an important history to hearsay?

Possible Reasons for the Delay:

1.  Jesus was busy on other planets where the inhabitants already had cell phone camera-recorders.

2.  God didn’t want people to know who Jesus’ father really was.

3.  When Jesus emerged intact from his tomb video cameras would not have detected his image and this would have compromised the most important part of the story. 

Can you think of other reasons why God waited so long before sending Jesus?

compromise  vb  3 :    to expose to discredit or mischief (Webster)

EN

EN
Total Posts:  19858
Joined  11-03-2007

24 June 2012 19:10

Since your OP acknowledges that God did, in fact, send Jesus, I commend you for coming to this conclusion.  Paul writes in Galatians 4:4 that God sent Jesus “when the fullness of time had come.” This means that all the conditions were right and the best possible results and consequences would have been produced by his coming.  A non-exclusive list of reasons might include some of the following:

1. Mankind had progressed enough biologically, socially, psychologically, religiously and intellectually enough to be capable of comprehending the meaning of the Christ;

2. Jewish legalism had run its course, making the people of God ready to receive an alternative;

3. The old polytheistic religions of the Roman Empire were ready to crumble with the advent of Christianity;

4. The Pax Romana, Lex Romana, and Vie Romana insured that the proper infrastructure was in place to allow the new faith to propagate successfully;

5. The previous spread of the Greek language provided a lingua franca for verbal transmission of the story.

Those are a few of the reasons.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

24 June 2012 19:42

Ecurb Noselrub - 24 June 2012 05:10 PM

Since your OP acknowledges that God did, in fact, send Jesus, I commend you for coming to this conclusion.  Paul writes in Galatians 4:4 that God sent Jesus “when the fullness of time had come.” This means that all the conditions were right and the best possible results and consequences would have been produced by his coming.  A non-exclusive list of reasons might include some of the following:

1. Mankind had progressed enough biologically, socially, psychologically, religiously and intellectually enough to be capable of comprehending the meaning of the Christ;

2. Jewish legalism had run its course, making the people of God ready to receive an alternative;

3. The old polytheistic religions of the Roman Empire were ready to crumble with the advent of Christianity;

4. The Pax Romana, Lex Romana, and Vie Romana insured that the proper infrastructure was in place to allow the new faith to propagate successfully;

5. The previous spread of the Greek language provided a lingua franca for verbal transmission of the story.

Those are a few of the reasons.

6.  And God determined that his only begotten son had to be horribly tortured to death by the Romans in order to get the whole ball rolling, so the timing was important as you say.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

24 June 2012 21:06

unsmoked - 24 June 2012 05:42 PM

6.  And God determined that his only begotten son had to be horribly tortured to death by the Romans in order to get the whole ball rolling, so the timing was important as you say.

Or, that simply could have been a natural consequence of being born in Roman times and being rejected by the leadership of the Jews and Romans. Don’t blame God for our nastiness. We can choose between good and evil. If we had simply accepted him for who he was, there would have been no crucifixion.

This one place where my theology is unorthodox. The crucifixion was not a requirement of God. It was man’s response to Jesus.  Just like man’s response to Lincoln, Gandhi, MLK, and the Kennedy’s was to kill them.  It was interpreted through Jewish lenses as a sacrifice for sin, but when viewed in the abstract apart from its Jewish milieu, it is simply a brutal act that had some unforeseen redemptive qualities. The idea of a good person being martyred has a tendency to inspire people to do better.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8794
Joined  20-10-2006

24 June 2012 22:38

Since your OP acknowledges that God did, in fact, send Jesus, I commend you for coming to this conclusion.

I can’t help you with your question, unsmoked, because of what Ecurb wrote above.  Admitting Ecurb’s god exists means you need to play by Ecurb’s rules.  Have fun.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16113
Joined  15-02-2008

25 June 2012 14:00

God didn’t need his Jesus form, he communicated/interacted directly with people before that. But over time that came passe, other gods had flesh&blood; reps on the Earth so to compete god created his Jesus form.

bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol
Total Posts:  5572
Joined  05-04-2006

25 June 2012 14:38

He didn’t appear to “mankind” he appeared to rural Jews in a backwater of a large empire with plenty of more advanced societies. For that matter, how were the Jews of 2000 years ago more advanced in any way than the Classical Greeks?

eudemonia

eudemonia
Total Posts:  9031
Joined  05-04-2008

25 June 2012 14:48

Does little good to question things that are childishly absurd in the first place.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 June 2012 16:31

Epaminondas - 25 June 2012 12:48 PM

Does little good to question things that are childishly absurd in the first place.

For some people who were born into Christianity, who have begun to think for themselves, who are interested in science, reason, and reality, questions like this may help them to see the childish absurdity of virgin births, walking dead, nonsense and superstition tangled into their fear of death and wish to do good instead of evil.

Isn’t this one of the main projects here?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 June 2012 16:51

bigredfutbol - 25 June 2012 12:38 PM

He didn’t appear to “mankind” he appeared to rural Jews in a backwater of a large empire with plenty of more advanced societies. For that matter, how were the Jews of 2000 years ago more advanced in any way than the Classical Greeks?

They weren’t, but the knowledge of the Classical Greeks had filtered throughout the old world at that point, which was part of the preparation. Jesus came to the Jews, but his message was transmitted to the world in the Greek language, and this was accomplished rather rapidly.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 June 2012 17:15

By the way, bigred, I see you have quoted me in your signature line. I think you owe me royalties.

goodgraydrab

goodgraydrab
Total Posts:  7845
Joined  19-12-2007

25 June 2012 17:41

Because he had to wait until puberty.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6243
Joined  15-02-2007

25 June 2012 18:14

Ecurb Noselrub - 25 June 2012 02:51 PM

They weren’t, but the knowledge of the Classical Greeks had filtered throughout the old world at that point, which was part of the preparation. Jesus came to the Jews, but his message was transmitted to the world in the Greek language, and this was accomplished rather rapidly.

Not if you consider the ~2000 years of often violent inter-doctrinal strife and hatred that can be documented after the purported revelation.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 June 2012 18:19

Jefe - 25 June 2012 04:14 PM

Not if you consider the ~2000 years of often violent inter-doctrinal strife and hatred that can be documented after the purported revelation.

But that would have happened even if Jesus had come in 1975. I think the idea is that the earliest it would have been capable of being received is when it happened. It was never going to be perfect, given that he was dealing with humanity.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

25 June 2012 18:35

Skipshot - 24 June 2012 08:38 PM

Since your OP acknowledges that God did, in fact, send Jesus, I commend you for coming to this conclusion.

I can’t help you with your question, unsmoked, because of what Ecurb wrote above.  Admitting Ecurb’s god exists means you need to play by Ecurb’s rules.  Have fun.

You’re leaving me alone to face the Monk?  There’s bound to be some compelling reasons why God waited 48,000 years, or 98,000 years, before sending Jesus.  Like I was saying, if you’re going to wait for writing to develop, why not wait a little longer until practically everyone has a cellphone recorder?  It’s not like things have been really, really rosy since Jesus was here.  If God had waited for cellphone technology all 7,000,000,000 of us would be Christians now, watching Jesus saving Galveston from Hurricane Bob on the CBS evening news - Bob making a hard right and accidentally wiping out Port Arthur?  No matter - the Port Arthurians had it coming.

Not that I’m missing your point.  I can hear my satire bouncing off Ecurb like pebbles off Superman - the power, the invulnerability of make-believe.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  8794
Joined  20-10-2006

25 June 2012 22:20

unsmoked - 25 June 2012 04:35 PM

Like I was saying, if you’re going to wait for writing to develop, why not wait a little longer until practically everyone has a cellphone recorder?  It’s not like things have been really, really rosy since Jesus was here.

What makes you think he hasn’t been back already?  I imagine if Jesus did come today he would be run out of town again, mostly by his believers because he would look like an illegal immigrant and Ecurb would watch him put on a bus back to Mexico.

1 2 3 >  Last ›